Cancelling a Non-B Visa associated with a teaching job

Well, school's closed.   My contract ends on the 30th of April.  My NEW school (not close) wants me there ASAP (it's always like this).  OK, so I think I can cancel my WP at the labor office tomorrow, then go to immigration, pay 1900, get a week, leave.  Seems easy, except my school says, "Just drop off your work permit at school and we'll do it later."  That is not technically allowed, but I have done that before and I do trust them.  That's not my question.  lol.

My question.   Can I leave Thailand and get a new Non-B sometime next week without doing the steps mentioned above?   I would be cancelling it via leaving the country.   

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

First things first, do you have a visa or an extension of stay?

Of course, I got a Non-B visa before my work permit.   Good until the length of the contract, unless the contract ends.  Visa ends on April 30th.   I haven't done anything yet, so no extension.  Has the big stamp WORKING AS A TEACHER....blah, blah, blah..  I've had many before, but always cancelled them the conventional way.   

School isn't paying me for April, so they don't care when I leave.  As far as a new work permit, well, I don't need one ASAP so I'm not worried about that either.  I'm worried I'll go from like Chiang Rai to Hat Yai (as a hypothetical) and try to leave into Malaysia.   They tell me, "NO!!  You must cancel this visa back in Chiang Rai."   That's my worry.   Or can I simply just leave, cancelled, go to the embassy with proper documents (of course) and get a new Non B for a different school.  

8 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Do you have a valid re-entry permit?

@blackcrabI guess I don't.  Interesting.   OK, so I think you're saying I need to cancel my visa and work permit before leaving the country.  Yes?  How about this?  Can I cancel my visa at an immigration center NOT located in where it was issued?  Give my work permit to my school and they will turn it in at a later date.  I travel.  I get to another province, head to immigration, cancel, and either head out of the country the same day or pay the 1900.

Edited by PleaseTypeSlow4me

If you:

1. Have an extension if stay (obtained from immigration in Thailand), and

2. You do not have a re-entry permit

3. When you leave Thailand your extension is automatically cancelled

Most people do not want that to happen, however in your case this sequence of events would suit your purpose.

The immigration official stamping you out might try and tell you that you do not have a re-entry permit out of courtesy, but tell them you understand. Or they may say nothing at all.

If you time your exit with the work permit cancellation you won't have to go to immigration and pay 1,900 baht either.

4 minutes ago, blackcab said:

3. When you leave Thailand your extension is automatically cancelled

This is so not true, if you have an extension based on working and you do not cancel it at Immigration in Thailand you will have major problems down the line if you try to get another extension based on employment.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, bigt3116 said:

You say you have a visa, if so, then just leave the country without a re-entry permit and you are good to go to apply for another single entry Non-B with the paperwork provided by your new school.

this is what I'm hoping for, since it will save me hours tomorrow going to the labor department and immigration and allow me more time to travel this entire country to my new job.   It's not the end of the world, I can do whatever, but I'm curious what's the most efficient.  

• Thumbs Up 1

This is so not true, if you have an extension based on working and you do not cancel it at Immigration in Thailand you will have major problems down the line if you try to get another extension based on employment.

now i'm confused again.   So I do need to cancel it at immigration?  

5 minutes ago, PleaseTypeSlow4me said:

now i'm confused again.   So I do need to cancel it at immigration?  

You said you have a VISA, visas are not cancelled, only EXTENSIONS OF STAY. Until you totally clarify which you have you are peeing into the wind.

• Confused 1

You said you have a VISA, visas are not cancelled, only EXTENSIONS OF STAY. Until you totally clarify which you have you are peeing into the wind.

Yea, I'm confused after all these years.

Reading from my passport, it does say EXTENSION OF STAY PERMITTED UP TO 30 APRIL 2023.

Thanks.

Hopefully this helps.  With that in mind, do I have to go to immigration from the same place that stamped my passport?  What are my options.  

Just now, PleaseTypeSlow4me said:

Yea, I'm confused after all these years.

Reading from my passport, it does say EXTENSION OF STAY PERMITTED UP TO 30 APRIL 2023.

Thanks.

Hopefully this helps.  With that in mind, do I have to go to immigration from the same place that stamped my passport?  What are my options.  

OK, you need to get a letter from your employer stating your last day of employment, go to immigration and cancel your current extension of stay, (this can be done in advance), you should also cancel your work permit, (but you say your school will do that). Then leave the country and apply for a new Non-B based on teaching.

PS Yes you need to go to the same office that issued your extension to cancel it.

• Like 1

OK, you need to get a letter from your employer stating your last day of employment, go to immigration and cancel your current extension of stay, (this can be done in advance), you should also cancel your work permit, (but you say your school will do that). Then leave the country and apply for a new Non-B based on teaching.

PS Yes you need to go to the same office that issued your extension to cancel it.

Yea, I figured.  Just wanted to clarify, sorry about getting confused.  Thanks.

Leave the country by plane the day before your visa expires and return. Your visa will expire on the same day as your contract so obtaining a letter of release should not be required.

On another note just because your employer wants you somewhere doesn't mean you can or should or need to show up on the day. You are not required to do any work obviously until you have a signed contract. So, while I think it's entirely within the realm of expectations to ask you to start planning weeks before school starts you need a contract, work permit.

This will be at least your second teaching waiver. You should be fine. If you have taught at other schools then you very well might need to be very concerned with the waiver

I wouldn't trust the school to cancel your work permit. It's not as though they won't do it I'm sure they will it's when they will do it. This could very well conflict with your new employers plans.

It's very possible this is a shonky school and they're just trying to Coral all day teachers prior to the school year because it's so dodgy that they really don't know who will be present until everyone is assembled. Not uncommon in schools with bad management and environment.

Edited by Menken

2 minutes ago, Menken said:

Leave the country by plane the day before your visa expires and return. Your visa will expire on the same day as your contract so obtaining a letter of release should not be required.

He does not have a visa, he has an extension of stay which DOES need to be cancelled at immigration.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

He does not have a visa, he has an extension of stay which DOES need to be cancelled at immigration.

Yes, sorrry, whatever..

I don't think it does - it can simply expire. Why not? It's dead. Dead is dead. In fact, I've read many threads where unhappy teachers needing to leave the country have simply jumped on the plane and kill their visa. They then again return to Thailand and are able to take jobs. I will admit that I don't know the precise outcome of these situations. There might be immigration questions as to why the visa extension wasn't canceled but in the end s/he left legally and the visa extension has expired

UbonJoe will know definitively

And by the way when you do cancel the visa extension you need to leave within 24 hours.

Edited by Menken

31 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

That's fair point. Does that apply even when there are just a few days left on the extension?

What if the OP leaves on the last day of his extension?

6 minutes ago, Menken said:

Yes, sorrry, whatever..

I don't think it does - it can simply expire. Why not? It's dead. Dead is dead. In fact, I've read many threads where unhappy teachers needing to leave the country have simply jumped on the plane and kill their visa. They then again return to Thailand and are able to take jobs. I will admit that I don't know the precise outcome of these situations. There might be immigration questions as to why the visa extension wasn't canceled but in the end s/he left legally and the visa extension has expired

UbonJoe will know definitively

And by the way when you do cancel the visa extension you need to leave within 24 hours.

I'm further muddle the waters.   Get a VISA, 2 months.  extend it one month, possible. That is YOURS, you can do whatever.  However, once you get that work permit and extension with the date that matches your contract, well, it gets trickier.

I'm learning.

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Do you need a new criminal record check from your home country whenever you switch schools?

nah.  I've switched before a few times, no worries.  Last time they just took my fingerprints at immigration instead of the normal super long process.  I did have one from my home country way back when, not updated forever.  It's good to have, I guess.  There's a small chance they are using that initial check, but my feeling is it didn't matter in my case.  

6 minutes ago, PleaseTypeSlow4me said:

I'm further muddle the waters.   Get a VISA, 2 months.  extend it one month, possible. That is YOURS, you can do whatever.  However, once you get that work permit and extension with the date that matches your contract, well, it gets trickier.

I'm learning.

I don't understand this at all

9 minutes ago, PleaseTypeSlow4me said:

I've switched before a few times, no worries. 

If you've switched a few times I can see that you had worked at two schools therefore I'm going to assume it's three. As you are on your fourth waiver. It's very possible that you will not receive that (and you absolutely will not receive a fifth unless you are enrolled in some sort of professional program)

So after all this is drama is done and settled please be aware you have less than 2 years of teaching.

Actually since you've worked at three schools and been through this ringer a number of times I'm surprised that you are not more knowledgeable about your predicament.

Edited by Menken
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, blackcab said:

That's fair point. Does that apply even when there are just a few days left on the extension?

What if the OP leaves on the last day of his extension?

If he ever wants to get another extension based on employment, he must cancel this one.

41 minutes ago, Menken said:

Incorrect, you can do it in advance and leave on the final day, or cancel on the final day and leave that day - no 24 hour grace period.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Menken said:

If you've switched a few times I can see that you had worked at two schools therefore I'm going to assume it's three. As you are on your fourth waiver. It's very possible that you will not receive that (and you absolutely will not receive a fifth unless you are enrolled in some sort of professional program)

So after all this is drama is done and settled please be aware you have less than 2 years of teaching.

Actually since you've worked at three schools and been through this ringer a number of times I'm surprised that you are not more knowledgeable about your predicament.

Do you remember COVID?  Not the same situation.   What if I was with an agency before, or at a learning center, what if I have a teaching license????   I don't need to be aware of anything, I'm surprised you are not more knowledgeable about asking such simple questions before going into your Krusapa waiver rant.

tsk, tsk

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

Incorrect, you can do it in advance and leave on the final day, or cancel on the final day and leave that day - no 24 hour grace period.

OMG, more questions.    Cancel it how far in advance?  Is the final day the date stamped in my passport?  Are you saying I can do this if I haven't canceled my work permit.  This seems strange to me.  Why not just cancel it one year in advance?   Clearly we need some clarification.  Wouldn't the "final day" be the day it's cancelled?  

4 minutes ago, PleaseTypeSlow4me said:

Do you remember COVID?  Not the same situation.   What if I was with an agency before, or at a learning center, what if I have a teaching license????   I don't need to be aware of anything, I'm surprised you are not more knowledgeable about asking such simple questions before going into your Krusapa waiver rant.

tsk, tsk

Tsk tsk how insulting. I didn't want to say this earlier but I will I think the whole thread is a windup anyway.

..hey, just trying to help ????

Sorry for the help.

A language school teacher I should have known ????

Edited by Menken