How safe is walking in Bangkok at midnight?

Goodboybkk

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Incredibly safe. Likely 15x safer than Los Angeles or Miami. Never had an incident in all the years I am here. Pattaya is likely the least safe, if you allow yourself to get drunk, and encounter ladyboys. 

Yes very safe pretty much anytime.

Yes: "if you allow yourself to get drunk"

Muggers do perform victim selection.

I believe drunk people get extra points as desirable victims.

This from anecdotal evidence ("war stories" from friends, acquaintances, talkative strangers); and from reading between the lines of media reports of muggings and robberies.

It seems in the great majority of (admittedly rare) muggings the victims are drunk.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mugging? Don't worry. You've more of a chance of waking up in the morning in a bath tub full of ice cubes minus your kidneys.

Or, crashing into Cinderella legging it down the road with only one glass slipper. (before midnite, no problem)

????

Edited by bobandyson
  • Sad 1

On 4/16/2023 at 1:55 AM, spidermike007 said:

One of the reasons many of us love it here, is the security factor. In comparison to a rival spot like the PI, this is paradise. 

In the PI, the security situation is not very good. You always have to keep your eyes open, keep an eye on your back, and beware of robbery, home theft, and violence. It is rampant. I have many friends who live there, and they all say the same thing.

If you do get into an altercation with a Philippine man, or are getting robbed or harassed, unless you are a 6th degree sensei, do not fight back. An astonishing number of locals are well trained in the fighting arts. Many are good with sticks, knives, blades or any sort, and their hands, fists and feet. I have a friend who is a world class security consultant. He is a black belt in a few different martial arts. He says he can usually fight his way out of a gang of men, nearly anywhere in the world. Except in the PI. That is the only country he will NOT take an assignment.
The average guys there, can take down the average Westerner in five seconds. In Thailand few have those kinds of skills. Very few. And I am thankful for that! 

I doubt the op cares about the Philippines. There are plenty of dangerous locations.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 4:22 AM, Goodboybkk said:

How safe is walking alone, for example, 500 meter from BTS station to your apartment/condo in Bangkok at midnight?

Have you been mugged?

Never, and I've walked many times in Bangkok around midnight and also little later. Probably also depending where – i.e., area – and if other people are around...????

On 4/16/2023 at 10:18 AM, ezzra said:

Well, if it's any indication my 91 years old grandmother is walking from her bus stop to her condo and midnight every night wearing expensive jewelleries a Chanel handbag and so far, so good.

Chanel handbag

Riding the bus

????