Luk Khrueng

A Japanese guy lives close to me. He has 2 sons. His wife has asked my wife if the rule still applies that when luk khrueng children reach a certain age they must decide as to the child's nationality. Thai or Japanese. 

My wife tells me the Japanese man and his wife believe their sons cannot get a government job if they do not renounce their Japanese passports. I know this is all a load of rubbish but I need to show proof. Any links that this rule does not now exist?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

I am pretty certain Japan forbids dual nationality.

Spot on Dr. It's the Japanese that will not allow dual nationality. Hence the woman worrying.

People who have dual citizenship with Japan and another country by birth have to decide by the age of 22 which of the two nationalities they will keep. You can't be over the age of 22 and simultaneously a citizen of Japan and another country.

• Confused 1

They would need to check with both the Thai and Japanese governments. Some countries don't allow dual citizenships. Like the previous poster said, Thailand seems ambivalent about it but maybe not Japan.

FYI, being among the Asian fraternity affects these rules as well. ASEAN countries don't allow dual citizenship among themselves. I'm in the same boat, my kids have been told they have to renounce either their Thai or Malaysian citizenship when they turn 18. In my case, I've been told this when I registered my children's birth at the Malaysian Embassy in Bangkok. Some of my fellow countrymen living here chose to "keep quiet" about it but we are aware it's technically breaking the law.

There are ways one can "get caught". For example, if my children were to return to Malaysia, they technically have to obtain a special pass from the embassy on the account that they were born overseas to enter Malaysia as citizens. If they entered on a Thai passport, that would be captured in the system and if they attempt to apply for a Malaysian passport in Malaysia, that's where they will be flagged in the system. 

Likewise, if I ever wanted to become a Thai citizen, I actually have to renounce my Malaysian citizenship first (at the embassy) before I can be naturalised. 

Be sure to advise them that since they have sons, they are required to attend the national conscription lottery exercise, so if that is something to bear in mind.

• Thumbs Up 2