Shower Too Hot

Neeranam

48 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Take the chrome outside knob off first. If the OP has to buy the WD-40, then buy penetrating fluid.

Yes....otherwise it might stain. Normally there will be a small hole to put an Allen key in somewhere to do this . WD 40 should penetrate and lubricate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

This is one of the reasons that one of the first things I do when moving into a new house in UK (especially the South ) is to fit a good water softener (£500) . Not only do you get more comfortable better water ,use less soap/detergent and easier cleaning,but it preserves longevity and efficiency of expensive hardware (washing machines,hot water tank and showers etc). Pays for itself in the end. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

And the fact that you do not want an 'expert' to fix it properly.

Checkatrade.com or similar should get you someone.

This is the DIY forum. 

I suggest you Google it if you don't know what DIY means. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mikecha said:

spray WD40 ON IT LET IT GET IN A COUPLE OF HOURE OR SPRAY A COUPLE OF TIMES 

EASE BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS HOPE IT HELPS COS THEN A SMALL PRICE FIX

Then hit the CAPS LOCK key!   555

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Crossy said:

Can you get the chrome handle off (Allen key in the hole to the left of the nipple?) to reveal the mechanism? It could just be gummed up and liberal application of WD40 will release. 

Great advice… my thoughts exactly….

I used to run a big hotel, and they had similar controls in the guest bedrooms, what a pain they were 50% of older people in particular had a problem with them, the temp control tends to get stiff for some reason, needs a hard turn on it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The thing you are interested is the thermostatic valve which is part of the shower control unit, the bit in the shower itself.

Have you managed to get the chrome knobs off yet?

No, I can't find any way to do that yet, I'm not in at the moment but am going to buy WD 40 or similar first. 

Oh, I see, it's inside the chrome thing -  thanks Crossy.

6 minutes ago, roo860 said:

I'd say balls to it and rat arsed on all that drink.????????

Hee hee, I wondered why the garage was locked from the house. It did enter my head for a millisecond, but as I'm a recovered alcoholic,that won't be happening, I hope. 

He owns a couple of pubs in Aberdeen, don't think he drinks too much himself. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

16 hours ago, bluejets said:

Now there is the real problem......... ????

Well plumbers fees in the UK are tantamount to extortion since all the Polish ones left following brexit. But then those who wanted brexit presumably wanted them out because they were stealing the jobs true Brits should have.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're dealing with "hard water" then it could just be a build up of mineral deposits preventing proper function. Taking the handles off to see the connections will tell you. If it's a build up then sprinkle it with baking soda and use a stiff, non-metallic brush on it - rinse and repeat as necessary.