Shower Too Hot

Neeranam

54 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Thermostatic valve is seized. They typically aren't that expensive if you can find the spare parts, but if your plumbing skills are limited you'll almost certainly be needing a plumber.

I see, thanks.

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You've been a member for 19 years ...

Anyway, have you asked your brother how it's supposed to work? I would think that the "nipple" is a release to allow the temperature to be adjusted (press and turn). If it's not doing that then something has seized up ???? 

Can you get the chrome handle off (Allen key in the hole to the left of the nipple?) to reveal the mechanism? It could just be gummed up and liberal application of WD40 will release. 

I'll check that. Thanks Cross. 

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

my brother's house

Winter is over.  If all else fails just turn down the thermostat on the actual water heater until you leave . 

This option should be available on either Electric and gas water heaters . 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I must say the small contraptions they have in the UK are ridiculous.. Taking a shower is a major event with water too hot one minute too cold the next and not enough water strength. My elderly family take baths every night. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Usually if there is a nipple it is to allow further movement, usually adding extra hot water. But if you are getting minimal movement it is probably unfit for further service without taking it apart or replacing it.

The nipple is a safety feature stopping inadvertent selection of scalding water,but pushing it in allows further movement which by continuous movement back and forth might free up the mechanism 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, geisha said:

I must say the small contraptions they have in the UK are ridiculous.. Taking a shower is a major event with water too hot one minute too cold the next and not enough water strength. My elderly family take baths every night. 

That is a feature of a poor/cheap  shower choice. Try Aqualisa Quartz (pumped unit) or Mira and you’ll get proper showers. Not cheap but in the long run much  better and cheaper than expensive baths

10 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Out of interest, why are there 'sad' and 'confused' faces on the OP?

Maybe because your question is so vague, no make or model number. 

And the fact that you do not want an 'expert' to fix it properly.

Checkatrade.com or similar should get you someone.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

The nipple is a safety feature stopping inadvertent selection of scalding water,but pushing it in allows further movement which by continuous movement back and forth might free up the mechanism 

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/shower-hot-water-tap-jammed-safety-button-pressed.395957/

7 minutes ago, Denim said:

There is one cheap fix I always try first and sometimes it performs miracles.

Give it a generous spray with WD40 and let that soak in overnight. Might get lucky and fix it for a quid.

Absolutely it is one of the 2 first fix options 

1) if it doesn’t move and should use WD40

2) if it does move and shouldn’t use duct/gaffer tape.

These are the fixes for roughly 80% ~ 90% of simple fixes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Denim said:

Give it a generous spray with WD40 and let that soak in overnight. Might get lucky and fix it for a quid.

Take the chrome outside knob off first. If the OP has to buy the WD-40, then buy penetrating fluid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Take the chrome outside knob off first. If the OP has to buy the WD-40, then buy penetrating fluid.

Are there different types of WD40, penetrating and non-penetrating?

3 hours ago, Seth1a2a said:

Winter is over.  If all else fails just turn down the thermostat on the actual water heater until you leave . 

This option should be available on either Electric and gas water heaters . 

He is talking about the UK. Most houses have both hot and cold water supplies and quite common on a shower to have a mixer valve which I think is the case here. They normally have a button to prevent inadvertent movement and it is possible the button is a bit stuck and not being depressed enough.

As suggested taking the valve cover off would be good first move.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Are there different types of WD40, penetrating and non-penetrating?

There may well be but generic WD-40 is a water disperser not a lubricant. The penetrating version has not been mentioned beforehand.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1