New Security System needed

moogradod

I had an ARLO System with two indoor cameras (battery operated for a LONG time) that worked perfectly. Motion/Sound detection with direct alarm to selected mobile phones, storage of the recorded videos in the cloud, Siren Alarm. Now it seems that those are not supported anymore. I even wanted to buy a second system with 4 more cameras and my usual IT provider did tell me they dont have it at the distributor (and they do not support them anyway anymore) - they have changed to a paid plan to get the important functions and for some reason I do not know, Thailand is now as well excluded for delivery and service.

It was the perfect system but I guess it does not help if I order them for example in Europe and then they might not work here.

Now I need a replacement and I am so far deeply depressed from what I see on the net. Has anybody out there a Security System which would alarm using motion detection with at least 6 cameras (the best powered by a battery). Arlo could even distinguish between a pet and people.

Or any other Security System worth buying. No cheap Chinese Stuff please. I need quality and I am willing to pay for it and import it if necessary as well. We have bought a new house outside a gated community with the next neighbors a bit far away at the moment (one similar house is being constructed right now near to ours, so we will have neighbors in the future) and it does need to be protected at least a bit. The walls are high around the house but not high enough and no barbed wire, glass etc. inserted. The idea of my wife to buy a dog is not what I do support.

Any recomendation is highly appreciated from anybody operating said security system or similar.

Edited by moogradod

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I suggest have a look at this YouTube channel.

The Hook Up - YouTube

The guy knows what he talks about. He tested many cameras and he explains the pro and cons of wired and wireless, what type of cameras for which purposes, etc.

Thank you for I am quite desperate. Arlo was a marvel. I will have a look at YouTube. The important thing is also that any system is somehow available here.

19 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thank you for I am quite desperate. Arlo was a marvel. I will have a look at YouTube. The important thing is also that any system is somehow available here.

I think one important question is how much you want to do yourself, including thinking about and setting up your system. And how much do you need someone to do this for you.

I bought two of these cameras and they do a good job. This is a link to the manufacturer or distributor:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002703400758.html

Currently I use only the basic internal functionality. But they can be connected to professional recorders. Those are also described in above videos. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think one important question is how much you want to do yourself, including thinking about and setting up your system. And how much do you need someone to do this for you.

I bought two of these cameras and they do a good job. This is a link to the manufacturer or distributor:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002703400758.html

Currently I use only the basic internal functionality. But they can be connected to professional recorders. Those are also described in above videos. 

I could do a lot myself. And where my stressed back would not follow me I would have a lot of helpers who could do it under my supervision. However internal storage (in the house somewhere) does not make sense IMHO for any intruder could just take the recorder away and with it all evidence.. My Arlo used to send their recorded clips to a server abroad, untouchable for any burglar.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, moogradod said:

I could do a lot myself. And where my stressed back would not follow me I would have a lot of helpers who could do it under my supervision. However internal storage (in the house somewhere) does not make sense IMHO for any intruder could just take the recorder away and with it all evidence.. My Arlo used to send their recorded clips to a server abroad, untouchable for any burglar.

Obviously the cloud option exist. But be aware of the high bandwidth which you need if you want to upload high-definition video in real time from several cameras.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously the cloud option exist. But be aware of the high bandwidth which you need if you want to upload high-definition video in real time from several cameras.

1000/500 per second should do the trick. AIS is scheduled to put the house on fiber next week. Anyway it is only the video from a camera that has detected something, not from all simultaneously. But thanks for your suggestions !

51 minutes ago, snowgard said:

You can buy Arlo security cameras on Lazada & Shopee, also on InvateIT and more ...

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=arlo+security+cameras&newwindow=1&source=lnt&tbs=ctr:countryTH&cr=countryTH

I have ordered them with invadeIT but they answered back that the distributor does not have them. So this might be the same with Lazada or Shopee.

Normally if the worst comes to the worst I contact my friend in Switzerland who will order my desired IT item at Digitec in Switzerland and send it to me. I have done that several times succcesfully. Digitec has a range of products that beats both Lazada and Shopee by a large margin in the area of IT and as well cameras and household appliances (then it is their sister company "Galaxus".

But this does all not help. Arlo has recently changed its policies. Now the best functions (like cloud recording) are only available with a subscription. They cooperate with Netgear and for some reason unknown to me, in Thailand subscriptions are not allowed. It would not work exept that you could get an alarm to your phone. But if you know the full capabilities of the system this is not what you want and need. This is confirmed by Arlo itself for I have contacted them directly.

A pity and a catastrophe for me. Arlo has been a marvel. Hands down the best system there is with their combination of useful features. Just look at thier website and range of products and features. The cameras are as well small and because of thier battery which lasts for ages (and may then be recharged). They can be moved around in the house by just carrying them to the place you want them to be. And they will rarely be detected by any intruder. They would not know that they are filmed and if they do it is too late, the video has already been stored abroad on a server inaccessible to the intruder.

Edited by moogradod

On 4/18/2023 at 5:39 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I suggest have a look at this YouTube channel.

The Hook Up - YouTube

The guy knows what he talks about. He tested many cameras and he explains the pro and cons of wired and wireless, what type of cameras for which purposes, etc.

I had a look at his channel and have watched several different clips. But unfortunately there are no news to me. The guy does not even elaborate on the tremendous advantages that ARLO has (one example: The cameras are so small that they can hardly be detected by any intruder and because of battery operation (one charge lasts very very long) they may just be carried around in the house and replaced according to varying needs.

Unfortunately, ARLO (Netgear) has changed its policy and does now only provide the essential functions (like cloud recording) for a subsription fee. I would not mind paying this, but it is not allowed to do from Thailand. For some reasons (obviously a legal thing I can imagine) you can not conclude a contract from here. I have been in contact with Arlo itself and they confirm this.  Nevertheless you can buy the cameras here but you only get alarms to your phone and thats it. I ordered a set with invadeIT and they said they cannot deliver. The advertisements of shopee for example are outdated. They claim still a free cloud storage (7 days) without any additional subscription (as it used to be) but this is no more true.

Edited by moogradod

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody does anymore respond to my request - and I am slowy getting nuts. I need a new Surveillance Camera System since ARLO (the best there is on the market) does not support cloud storage from Thailand, regardless of any offers that several suppliers in Thailand claim.

My minimum requirements are:

• At least 5 cameras supported, including inhouse and one for outside, connecting via WiFi to a base station
  • Cameras battery operated (rechargeable with big capacity)
  • Motion Detection
  • SMS Alarm to several mobile phones in case of any event
  • Cloud storage of video clips of any events, not only recording on memory card or recorder
  • A Bonus is when the cameras are SMALL and flexible to install (standalone in a cabinet, wall mounted etc.)

Arlo would satisfy all of these and more, but as I said - not for Thailand.

Here are home owners in abundance. Many of you might have Security cameras. Please share your wisdom concerning camera surveillance with me. I would be pleased to receive only answers that satisfy all requirements I have listed above, everything else is a waste of time.

Thank you very much.

On 4/18/2023 at 5:28 PM, moogradod said:

The idea of my wife to buy a dog is not what I do support.

might be good idea to listen to the wife on this one.
as for CCTV, just contact a company, tell them what you want and let them install
i installed 16ch PoE loosafe in my last house, had remote viewing, face rec, motion, cloud backup, alerts etc. that you want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, patman30 said:

might be good idea to listen to the wife on this one.
as for CCTV, just contact a company, tell them what you want and let them install
i installed 16ch PoE loosafe in my last house, had remote viewing, face rec, motion, cloud backup, alerts etc. that you want.

Thank you. If you had this all then you know as well which company to contact. Could you tell this to me please ? Thanks.

....and I forgot: No dog in my house regardless of my wife's advice.

Edited by moogradod

1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

I suggest you learn how to use use Google to do research! I have battery operated Tapo cameras with cloud storage connected through an app.

I found the info on cloud storage on their homepage. However it does not say how much the 7-day plan is.

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

I found the info on cloud storage on their homepage. However it does not say how much the 7-day plan is.

I think i pay about 1200bt a year per cam for cloud storage. This subscription can be removed and added to different cams on your network.

OP ....  I just had a quick search and could not see anything attractive or viable ....

I found this company which is Thai based and I've seen their cars running around Bangkok near my Soi.

They are very establish and secure company I believe.

Maybe they can give you a quote for what you need ... ?   send them an email .. no harm in trying ...

https://www.secom.co.th/en/contact_us

https://www.secom.co.th/en/personal

image.png.54ec66265539d4b74e8cad53de3599b6.png

image.png.f90904ddb6ed1fc7a66c86d35a039ced.png

On 5/4/2023 at 5:09 PM, stubuzz said:

I think i pay about 1200bt a year per cam for cloud storage. This subscription can be removed and added to different cams on your network.

Thanks !

What I have seen so far on TAPO's homepage looks promising. Seems they have copied the features from the lower end ARLO cameras - but they are cheap and THB 6'000 for 5 cameras per year is just THB 500.-- per month.

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

OP ....  I just had a quick search and could not see anything attractive or viable ....

I found this company which is Thai based and I've seen their cars running around Bangkok near my Soi.

They are very establish and secure company I believe.

Maybe they can give you a quote for what you need ... ?   send them an email .. no harm in trying ...

https://www.secom.co.th/en/contact_us

https://www.secom.co.th/en/personal

image.png.54ec66265539d4b74e8cad53de3599b6.png

image.png.f90904ddb6ed1fc7a66c86d35a039ced.png

Thank you very much steven100 !!

In fact I have to admit that your answer brought a few tears to my eyes. You did even dig into the matter and came up with helpful advice. So rare nowadays on AN where a considerable percentage of posters does not try to really help but sometimes the exact opposite.

I thank you again for your compassionate attitude !

When I get a system which satisfies all the requirements that I have listed above, then there is not very much to install. It is rather a configuration thing, because the cameras you can place by just carrying where you want them to be. An exeption is the one external camera which has to be attached to a wall. If there is a base station then this may be connected via Ethernet cable to the PC. Everything else is WiFi. Plus an application on the mobiles. Not really a problem.

As for the hardware the TAPO as @stubuzz proposed seems to be the most promising solution so far. But then there is as well loosafe, but this one looks a little bit too "Chinese" to me. And then there is of course your proposal as well. I think I will have a system ready. Thank you all again (no the Alfred Cam will not be part of the shootout, but thanks anyway !)

• Thumbs Up 1

Cloud storage is terrifying concept if not understood, if you go this route make sure they can't read your data -  zero knowledge.  Wifey nearly opt for AIS's CCTV/Fibre deal ???? imagine trusting a thai service provider hosting terabytes of mp4 of all your home cameras.

In cloud computing, the term zero-knowledge (or occasionally no-knowledge or zero access) refers to an online service that stores, transfers or manipulates data in a way that maintains a high level of confidentiality, where the data is only accessible to the data's owner (the client), and not to the service provider.
Edited by Snugs08

4 minutes ago, Snugs08 said:

Cloud storage is terrifying concept if not understood, if you go this route make sure they can't read your data -  zero knowledge.  Wifey nearly opt for AIS's CCTV/Fibre deal ???? imagine trusting a thai service provider hosting terabytes of mp4 of all your home cameras.

In cloud computing, the term zero-knowledge (or occasionally no-knowledge or zero access) refers to an online service that stores, transfers or manipulates data in a way that maintains a high level of confidentiality, where the data is only accessible to the data's owner (the client), and not to the service provider.

Storage happens only in case of a defined event, not continuously. In this case I would not mind to make the clips even public on social media. It is as well only stored during 7 days. In practice, I would download any event videos to my local environment and then delete the cloud storage, which is only desirable because any intruder cannot take away any evidence (like on a SD-Card or recorder).

The other thing is cloud storage in general or -computing. I would never allow that.

A storm is rising at the horizon. Access to TAPOs Cloud Storage seems only be possible when you have a camera (source: German Reviews) for they do not seem to have a base station which connects to the router and the 7-day storage could be viewed from any desktop if you have an account. So if the intruder removes all cameras and interfaces you are again left with nothing.

I contacted them by email in English but of course so far no answer - I wonder if I will ever get one. This is as well a sign of a the excellence of a company - quick and competent user support. Currently it does not look too good which makes steven100 s proposal the favourite. I will contact the company. I foresee that the downside would be the cost.

That's the way it is in Thailand, remembering happy times in Switzerland whre this all would be no problem at all.

This is the major reason people should avoid proprietary systems and use the tools available to make your own. Companies can go bust overnight or just drop support.

Does your Arlo system output an RTSP stream that you can incorporate in a new system?

You watched the hookup as recommended, you can see videos about blue iris / ProjectAI - you can quite easily piece together your own system. It's hard to tell what you found so good about Arlo, is it person detection that sends an alert and then sends those clips to the cloud? You can do that yourself syncing a folder on your blue iris machine to any cloud service. 

• Thanks 1

I've read well that you don't want dogs, but reconsider having three dogs in your garden as they have plenty of Thais and the best weapon of deterrence you can have against masked thieves that you could never identify with the best cameras.

But of course it's just my opinion.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, recom273 said:

This is the major reason people should avoid proprietary systems and use the tools available to make your own. Companies can go bust overnight or just drop support.

Does your Arlo system output an RTSP stream that you can incorporate in a new system?

You watched the hookup as recommended, you can see videos about blue iris / ProjectAI - you can quite easily piece together your own system. It's hard to tell what you found so good about Arlo, is it person detection that sends an alert and then sends those clips to the cloud? You can do that yourself syncing a folder on your blue iris machine to any cloud service. 

OK, I will look at hookup again. I am a quite persistent person. I need a surveillance system with my requirements and I will get it - some way or another.

I do not know the format the ARLO Base Station communicates to the router. The problem is that we are in Thailand and some components might be hard to get. Have a look at the ARLO website to know the advantages. https://www.arlo.com/en-us/Of course selective detection and clips to the cloud accessible from everywhere and the extreme ease which which it is "installed" (does not need an installation actually, just carry the very small cameras - which fit into a childs palm - around and place them where you want them to be and then just configure the ARLO App on the mobiles. You may change that in a jiffy if required as well. The charged batteries last incredibly long (months). You may use a desktop to access the cloud from anywhere and then download the videos to your locall environment as evidence. So far I was really reluctant to use cloud services (Google, Microsoft). Just hate the idea - many reasons. I will make me knowledgeable about blue iris / ProjectAI (does not really sound good to me - it's the "AI" in the name which does alarm me. Big Data, AI - I block everything I could possibly reveal to Google etc. No Facebook, no Line, no Twitter, no social media at all. AN is the only social media platform I do exchange information with.