Finnish man accused by neighbours of insulting Thai people

snoop1130

27 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I said from the beginning there was no need for the attack, just cos he insulted them.

Agreed... there was no ‘need’ to attack..... 

That said, in a similar situation if someone insults my Wife like this they are likely to get attacked and I won’t apologise for a ‘human reaction’...   I think many on here feel the same...

... there would of course be ’no need’ for the attack, but it may be something we can justify even if legally we may be compromised for our actions. 

Edited by richard_smith237

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

How was any of that deflection and avoidance ??...    Perhaps the Finn was triggered by being over-charged which may explain his initial anger and trigger for his abusive response....

Oh, sorry, I was referring to the poster 2009 not to the Forked-Up Finn.

Just now, JCauto said:
34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

How was any of that deflection and avoidance ??...    Perhaps the Finn was triggered by being over-charged which may explain his initial anger and trigger for his abusive response....

Oh, sorry, I was referring to the poster 2009 not to the Forked-Up Finn.

That was understood in my response....   2009’s response to you was quite on topic I thought, he presented a perfectly feasible alternative explanation as to why the Finn may have been tiggered. 

i.e. IF the Finn was being overcharged, that could have angered him. Thats not to excuse his behaviour of course, but it adds another ‘feasible’ element to the story. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats not to excuse his behaviour of course, but it adds another ‘feasible’ element to the story. 

Exactly, especially since dual pricing is a national sport.

It's very common.

All I know is I've never paid more than 60 for a large bottle of Leo in a shop like that in Isaan.

It is, of course, possible the prices went up recently. The Finn certainly was unaware of that and he seems to be a regular at that store.

Edited by 2009

49 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The conflict wasn’t over 10 baht....  the conflict was over someone abusing the Woman in the shop, shouting F£$K You Thailand, and calling her a ‘Kwai’ (buffalo).

It was over 10 baht.

They had a heated argument about it and a massive machete was produced over it.

Of course, by this point it was about ego and face. Getting the 10 baht was a matter of personal pride.

It would have been easier for both parties to stop their part in the argument, but BOTH sides were heated over the 10 baht.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, 2009 said:

All I know is I've never paid more than 60 for a large bottle of Leo in a shop like that in Isaan.

That may well be true but he was not buying Leo he was buying a small bottle of เหล้าขาว lao khao. I have no idea of the price for the small bottle but in the past a large bottle was 120 baht. I could believe a small bottle is 70 baht.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’d agree that the attack was uncivilised, but the Finnish guy invited the attack after behaving in an uncivilised manner.

My point is that in any "civilised"  the Finn would be charged for "disturbing  the peace" while the members of that mob would answer the charge of "aggravated assault". 

You don't take the law into your own hands that's all. Now the point about someone's wife being insulted is moot as it all ended up in a classic Thai gang bashing. I'd assume she didn't have half a dozen of husbands. And lastly, xenophobia definitely comes into play as they all knew that the authorities would take their side since their victim was a foreigner.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, 2009 said:

It was over 10 baht.

Of course, by this point it was about ego and face. Getting the 10 baht was a matter of personal pride.

It would have been easier for both parties to stop their part in the argument, but BOTH sides were heated over the 10 baht.

The shopkeeper margins are thin. Pay the price or don't buy it. I don't walk into 7/11 and ask for a discount then abuse the staff.

The guy was aggressive. The husband asked him to leave. He came back hours later and abused them again. He had it coming. They lost patience with him and kicked him no doubt. Many farangs would do the same to another farang like him.

You'd standby and allow your Wife to be treated in this manner?... 

are we getting into the whole he disrespected my wife i have to defend her honor nonsense ? 

did he physically touch the woman or did he only use words ? sticks and stones used to be a thing ....alas modern egos seem to have trouble. 

1 hour ago, 2009 said:

It was over 10 baht.

The arguement started during the previous visit to the shop when the Finn and his wife were told they could not join in.

The 10 baht added to the situation. It wasn't the primary cause. 

As the two were told to leave the party area, one would have to think there has been animosity between the shop owner,  the Finn and his wife for some time.

Edited by youreavinalaff

32 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

My point is that in any "civilised"  the Finn would be charged for "disturbing  the peace" while the members of that mob would answer the charge of "aggravated assault". 

You don't take the law into your own hands that's all. Now the point about someone's wife being insulted is moot as it all ended up in a classic Thai gang bashing. I'd assume she didn't have half a dozen of husbands. And lastly, xenophobia definitely comes into play as they all knew that the authorities would take their side since their victim was a foreigner.

It is Thailand. You don't make the rules. 50 years ago in any country he cops a flogging.

7 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Nonsense.

What is nonsense? People who picked fights in the 1970s in the west got hit. Fights outside bars were common. No security cameras and people were more "lets sort out this goose" type

14 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

So,  what we have here is some drunken, dumb, Farang arrogance met by Thai unrestrained, xenophobic, savagery leading to serious injury. A very minor misdemeanour met by what could have ended up death. If that's ok with you we are not living in the same world.

practice your reading skills before posting...".no it is not ok"

11 hours ago, stoner said:

are we getting into the whole he disrespected my wife i have to defend her honor nonsense ? 

did he physically touch the woman or did he only use words ? sticks and stones used to be a thing ....alas modern egos seem to have trouble. 

You’d tell ‘em… ”sticks & stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me” ? 

powerful stuff…. 

11 hours ago, stoner said:
13 hours ago, bignok said:

Why annoy the police? 

ill take a stab at this one. 

….. you’d involve the police because someone was verbally abusive to your wife ?

… manly stuff…  

EDIT: apologies, maybe not manly… which pronoun do you prefer ?  ????

Edited by richard_smith237

58 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

….. you’d involve the police because someone was verbally abusive to your wife ?

… manly stuff…  

EDIT: apologies, maybe not manly… which pronoun do you prefer ?  ????

so let me see if i got this straight ? 

calling the police to do their job (weather or not they do it is not the point) makes me any less of a man ? because i didn't defend my wife honor ? 

you can keep that definition of manly all to yourself.

You’d tell ‘em… ”sticks & stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me” ? 

powerful stuff…. 

no i would never of let the situation elevate to that level. 

i would of simply removed myself from the situation long before it got to this point. 

something i have successfully done my entire life. 

17 minutes ago, stoner said:

so let me see if i got this straight ? 

calling the police to do their job (weather or not they do it is not the point) makes me any less of a man ? because i didn't defend my wife honor ? 

you can keep that definition of manly all to yourself.

The farang had no gun or knife. Why would you call the police? Tell the farang to pay up or piss off and don't come back is what I would do. He then came back and caused more trouble. I cannot believe people defend him. Must be racist against Thais. The farang caused the whole thing. 

20 minutes ago, stoner said:

i would of simply removed myself from the situation long before it got to this point. 

So run away from your own shop? Smoke some weed and let him do whatever.

Just now, bignok said:

The farang had no gun or knife. Why would you call the police? Tell the farang to pay up or piss off and don't come back is what I would do. He then came back and caused more trouble. I cannot believe people defend him. Must be racist against Thais. The farang caused the whole thing. 

where in any of my comments have i defended him ? 

i am condemning the violence. something many of you seem unable to comprehend. 

the man was causing a disturbance at the business. they should of called the police to handle the situation. but they didn't. they decided to elevate the situation rather than diffuse it.  

it was allowed to escalate and now we have the story from that event. 

1 minute ago, stoner said:

where in any of my comments have i defended him ? 

i am condemning the violence. something many of you seem unable to comprehend. 

the man was causing a disturbance at the business. they should of called the police to handle the situation. but they didn't. they decided to elevate the situation rather than diffuse it.  

it was allowed to escalate and now we have the story from that event. 

People shouldn't do lots of things. Not a perfect world though. They lost their patience with this guy.

23 minutes ago, stoner said:

… when a guy is drunk, angry, aggressive, how would you ‘never let it get to that’ ?

If it’s your shop how would you remove yourself from try situation exactly ?

23 minutes ago, stoner said:

I suspect you’ve never been exposed to such a situation…  you probably think it’s because you think you skillfully navigated your way around it !!! 

Just now, bignok said:

They lost their patience with this guy.

they did far more than lose patience. i lose patience and yell at my wife. i dont then go and punch her in the stomach to make sure she got the point. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

… when a guy is drunk, angry, aggressive, how would you ‘never let it get to that’ ?

If it’s your shop how would you remove yourself from try situation exactly ?

I suspect you’ve never been exposed to such a situation…  you probably think it’s because you think you skillfully navigated your way around it !!! 

i grew up in a town that per capita has more fights than any other city in canada. 

i have seen it all and never in my life have i been involved.