F Visa About to Expire - Can I Return as a Tourist?

Hi, my Category F (diplomat, section 15, multiple entry) visa is due to expire end of May. I need another month in Thailand. Can I leave and return on a visa exception? I'm 40, female, carrying a German passport. I've been in the country all year. Thanks in advance for any advice.

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

At the very worst you would be stamped in visa exempt entry for 30 days.

Seems that is all you need and in addition you could obtain a 30 day extension to that stamp.

Your previous reply was correct in my opinion with a multi-entry visa that's got time on it, leave the country and come back in by land or air.

I wish more people knew not to advise getting a 30 day extension from Immigration that is designed for extending 30 days on entry exemption and tourist visas only.  For other types you can't, Thai immigration law prevents it.  Bleating to immigation that the visa you came in on was marked "Used" on entry or that the stay has nearly expired, that you have only two days of legal stay left and that you just need a few more days doesn't make any difference!

But, and here's the strange thing:  If you insist on applying and spending (wasting) the ฿1,900 then you get an automatic refusal and seven days extension of stay after which you must leave the country or then be on overstay.  An immigration supervisor had to be summoned to sort it out for me.

I got caught in this complicated trap because of bad advice and nearly went on overstay but at least the dodge got me the "breather" that I needed to do a quick out and back in visa exempt on a visa run bus.  After this, I found that once you've got the odd stamp all immigration officers ask questions about it because no reason for the rejection is specified. 

Visa companies warn that once you have got this automatic extension by rejection, that they can no longer help you during what's left of your current visit.

For your enjoyment, below is the stamp that I got.

Ext-refused-stamp.jpeg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DiDiChok said:

For your enjoyment, below is the stamp that I got.

Thanks for detailed post. 

I actually had not seen that stamp previously. 

The "get out of Dodge stamp" 

And yes sometimes folk ask if  they can (for example) extend a non O by 30 days.

Of course cannot..

Edited by DrJack54

OP best to contact immigration directly so no hiccups .. below was on internet regarding “”F”

Extension of Stay 

Those qualified persons can obtain an additional one year stay permit counting from the date of entry in the Kingdom pertaining to the Office of the Immigration Bureau's regulations on extension of stay. The extension of stay is at the discretion of the Immigration officer. Applicants wishing to stay in the Kingdom longer than 90 days have to file their application at the Office of Immigration Bureau in Bangkok located on Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889 (or website at

As a side question, my partner wishes to stay a little longer in Thailand too.

He arrived Nov 22 with a 60 day tourist visa in advance. UK passport. He extended this for 30 days, then did a border run to Singapore which got 45 days and then extended that 30 days at Laksi, which expires May 3rd.

The official he spoke to at Laksi said he could fly out and in again. Would you agree with this? I've learnt from experience that a second opinion is always valid. ????

I know officially tourists are limited to 2 land entries. He has done 0. And there are officially no limits on air (discretion of the officer) and he has only flown out and in once. So it should, as I understand, be okay. Any thoughts would be a great help.

On 4/20/2023 at 2:37 AM, Liveveryday said:

As a side question, my partner wishes to stay a little longer in Thailand too.

He arrived Nov 22 with a 60 day tourist visa in advance. UK passport. He extended this for 30 days, then did a border run to Singapore which got 45 days and then extended that 30 days at Laksi, which expires May 3rd.

The official he spoke to at Laksi said he could fly out and in again. Would you agree with this? I've learnt from experience that a second opinion is always valid. ????

I know officially tourists are limited to 2 land entries. He has done 0. And there are officially no limits on air (discretion of the officer) and he has only flown out and in once. So it should, as I understand, be okay. Any thoughts would be a great help.

It would, in my opinion, be unlikely for him to have any problems doing what you outline.

Bare in mind that when entering visa exempt, as your partner would be doing, it's likely he'll be asked for proof of onward travel (airplane ticket) out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival. This is required by the airline at checkin, not Thai immigration. It's possible to 'rent' a ticket online (onwardticket.com) to satisfy this requirement if needed. You could also buy a cheap, fully refundable ticket.

Upon arrival it's also a requirement to be able to show immigration B10,000 in cash (or the equivalent amount in any other currency) as proof of funds for your stay, however this is very rarely asked for.  

Good luck.

Edited by brotherother

hi

i had F too before now im using non-b instead of F. Im still working with Royal Thai Airforce.

yes, F has lot of great advantages but not always. I dont think you can come back via land border. Most likely you need to fly out and stay there for a week then can come back or apply for a TR visa there and come back. 

What i did is left thailand and got a new TR visa. and had no problem entering BUT this was really many years ago. So its still can i cannot be sure.

good luck

16 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

I dont think you can come back via land border. Most likely you need to fly out and stay there for a week then can come back or apply for a TR visa there and come back. 

Does that opinion have any basis in fact?

If someone is eligible for visa exempt entry, such as the OP who is a German national, why do you think they can't re-enter visa exempt overland once the multi-entry visa has expired?

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Does that opinion have any basis in fact?

If someone is eligible for visa exempt entry, such as the OP who is a German national, why do you think they can't re-enter visa exempt overland once the multi-entry visa has expired?

well like i said i had F before

F is very special visa. given to government employees or diplomats. OP mentioned he was a diplomat. Dont know for official work or not. If not official work yes no problem. But if it was for work no way he can come back like a tourist so fast. like 1 or 2 days after leaving thailand. its a government thing. dont know how to explain 

happened to one of our employee. thats the basis of fact. BUT as i said.. i say again it was many years ago. If it changed i dont know. 

Edited by problemfarang