New high end Samsung phones for 68 baht, scam?

Jingthing

29 minutes ago, tgw said:

JT, just the fact that you posted here to ask if this is legit or not is rather concerning

I'm not really asking.

I do wonder what exactly they are doing.

Is it only about selling the recurring charge membership or deeper?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

To add there was a tie in to Amazon that was interesting.

One of the qualifying questions to begin to play the contest was have you ever bought anything from Amazon. 

There was an explanation given for why some almost free phones were available.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/customer-warning-samsung-lottery-and-samsung-job-offer-scams/

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My always lucky father, won the publisher's clearing house sweepstake... it was proclaimed in big letters on the envelope. 

He sent them a check for $765 - though nobody knew why that amt and he denied writing it... that was when we knew the dementia had reached serious proportions. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not really asking.

I do wonder what exactly they are doing.

Is it only about selling the recurring charge membership or deeper?

Scamming naive people. Lots of similar scams where you "win" something.

Your problem is that you don't spend enough time on the internet to see this crap over and over in different forms.

The victim will always win or achieve eligibility .... The scam uses the same basic format of sending you down a proverbial rabbit hole of distraction as you get sheared for your money or personal information while also generating "clicks" to give the website more prominence on the web . Testimonials Most TV ads will show a small disclaimer showing that the person is a paid actor or has received compensation for their testimonial or endorsement . The internet does not seem have or enforce this practice.

I don't want to start a new thread but here's a few reasons why the scams won't be going away any time soon.

Individual  scammers exposed.

Youtube has a host of videos showing how the intended victims  turn the tables on boiler room scammers.  A few of them when caught are candid about their opinions of their victims as being stupid and deserving of the deception with a high number pointing to Americans as being their favorite targets.

419 Fraud—Advance Fee Scam

Also known as the Nigerian letter scam, 419 fraud is one of the most common scams on the Internet—and one you've likely seen in your own inbox. The advance fee scheme takes its name after the section of the Nigerian criminal code that outlaws fraud. According to the FBI, 11,264 people reported falling victim to advance fee scams in 2022. Collectively, they lost $104 million, or roughly $9,232 each.17

• Like 1