It's Hot (What if Global Warming is Here?)

Danderman123

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The question is how much warming, and how fast, and is this the most important problem or are there many more important problems which should have higher priority.

Lots of people look at CO2, CO2 and CO2 as if that is the only thing that counts. It's not. It's complicated. In fact, it is really complicated. Just looking at CO2 is for the alarmists and the do-gooders. 

Been 20 years of warnings. Only a slight increase really. I have no doubt mankind adds to it but grossly exaggerated for money and politics. 2022 was only the 6th warmest year so really a rather sluggish or flat move on temps recently. If you had new highs each year sure it's "bad" but it's not.

https://www.noaa.gov/news/2022-was-worlds-6th-warmest-year-on-record#:~:text=Below are highlights from NOAA's 2022 annual global climate report%3A&text=Earth's average land and ocean,in the 1880-2022 record.

So no "runaway" panic stations warming. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The question is how much warming, and how fast, and is this the most important problem or are there many more important problems which should have higher priority.

Lots of people look at CO2, CO2 and CO2 as if that is the only thing that counts. It's not. It's complicated. In fact, it is really complicated. Just looking at CO2 is for the alarmists and the do-gooders. 

CO2 is just one of several pollutants that cause warming.

Your question of the importance of global warming is relevant. 

Getting back to this topic: is the current warming a short term phenomenon, or is it the beginning of a trend of higher temperatures? This question is indeed important if people eventually have to retreat from areas that are permanently flooded or too hot.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bignok said:

Been 20 years of warnings. Only a slight increase really. I have no doubt mankind adds to it but grossly exaggerated for money and politics. 2022 was only the 6th warmest year so really a rather sluggish or flat move on temps recently. If you had new highs each year sure it's "bad" but it's not.

https://www.noaa.gov/news/2022-was-worlds-6th-warmest-year-on-record#:~:text=Below are highlights from NOAA's 2022 annual global climate report%3A&text=Earth's average land and ocean,in the 1880-2022 record.

So no "runaway" panic stations warming. 

Look at 2021 and 2022. Both cooler than 2020 and 2016.

So the previous warming trend has stopped or at least slowed.

Of course the doomsday people will spin it worse and start from 2010 instead to show a strong trend. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I don't remember an April as hot as this month. If we don't get rain soon, it's going to be unbearable.  And, if Summer is hotter, watch out!

I have started working on sunshades for my condo, using solar panels. 

Anything else useful in cooling my place?

Maybe this is just a random weather event, maybe it's the onset of Global Warming

OP - your post shows. profound lack of understanding of climate change, the Thai climate and the fact that "global warming" is already here..

you need to research the possible effects that it will have on the climate in Pattaya..The "norm" is and increase in climate extremes - e.g. drier/hotter/wetter/colder.

rises in sea level my affect the Gulf and BKK - this will affect property prices and the elephant in the room is te pollution and concomitant smog from the industrial areas of Chonburi and Rayong exacerbated by the rampant development of the EEC.

• Like 1

It's really not all that bad. A couple degrees above the past few years. Higher nighttime lows make a bit worse. But 37 or 38 I expect. The couple of days that hit 40 a week or so ago were alright, because the humidity was so low. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

so...your answer to the global warming debate is to cherrypick 2 years.

The last 7 years is not cherry picking. That's the most recent period!

Cherry picking is talking about 1979.

• Haha 1

At least in Bangkok there was an abnormally long stretch of cool(er) weather, stretching from late November until the first week of March. A lot of people, I think, got used to that. Now, there is sort of a shock with things returning to normal. This seems just like a lot of April-May months I've spent here in the past. 

13 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Currently 34° during the day, that's far from the hottest I've nown (40+).

Relax and grab a beer, it's not about climate change and from May it will get cooler, as always.

A useful link for people to better understand temperatures and rainfall in various parts of Thailand throughout the year.

https://en.climate-data.org/asia/thailand-202/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Not sad at all. Just facts. Last 2 years not that hot.

"facts" - I don't think you really understand w=even the basics of an argument do you? You are wrong on so many levels....

Your premise is hopeless - you are using  some temperatures picked at random about Thailand and then trying to make a general conclusion of GLOBAL climate change.

You don't understand any of it do you?

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Not sad at all. Just facts. Last 2 years not that hot.

I hope you can understand that it's impossible to judge climate change using a 2 year datapoint.

Kind of like those politicians who claim that climate change isn't real because of winter.

Edited by Danderman123

2 hours ago, bignok said:

have the last 7 years been warmer than the last few decades?

ClimateDashboard-global-surface-temperature-graph-20230118-1400px.png

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I hope you can understand that it's impossible to judge climate change using a 2 year datapoint.

Kind of like those politicians who claim that climate change isn't real because of winter.

I used 7 years. No warming for 7 years is a lot of data. 

Greta and others said there was a crisis. Totally wrong. Wrong 7 years in a row.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, bignok said:

I used 7 years. No warming for 7 years is a lot of data. 

Greta and others said there was a crisis. Totally wrong. Wrong 7 years in a row.

Does appear to have leveled off .... shh

... for now anyway ????

Not much relief when it 'feels like' 53°C / 128°F outside today.

I hope someone is freezing their A$$ off somewhere.

I feel better already:

Screenshot (122).png

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

... for now anyway ????

No doubt they are looking at ways to "adjust" the data to make more money in future and increase the trend up again. 

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

... for now anyway ????

Not much relief when it 'feels like' 53°C / 128°F outside today.

I hope someone is freezing their A$$ off somewhere.

I feel better already:

Screenshot (122).png

Was cold today and windy. 

4 hours ago, bignok said:

OMG! - Of CORSE it is cherry-picking - the science for global warming goes back millions of years to estableish differences between the current situation and historic or prehistoric climate changes.

I blame the film Day after Tomorrow" - people can't tell the difference between science and a movies.

Daily temperature records only go back to the 1800s in most countries. In Thailand not even that long.

Temperature records of the last 74 years

"The hottest temperature measured from 1949 to January 2023 was reported by the Nakhon Sawan weather station. In May 2016, the record temperature of 43.7 °C was reported here. The hottest summer from July to September, based on all 15 weather stations in Thailand , was recorded in 1987 with an average temperature of 28.9 °C"

https://www.worlddata.info/asia/thailand/climate.php

So the hottest summer was 1987. 36 years ago.

4 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

so...your answer to the global warming debate is to cherrypick 2 years.

Please tell us about the overall trend since 1979.

SO taking 1979 as you datum point is equally cherry picking, the warming/cooling cycle last hundreds of years, 44 years is nothing to nature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1