ISP throttling when using a vpn?

bratstvo

I spend my life between France and Thailand. In Thailand, I do not have the expected speeds with VPN with my ISP TRUE.

When I am using my iPhone on 4/5G, without VPN, I could get between 30 and 300+ mbps according to the time of the day.
When using a VPN on my iPhone on 4/5G or on Mac or iPad through the iPhone Hotspot, I SYSTEMATICALLY get between 3 and 4 mbps, NEVER MORE irrespective of the servers (close or far) I have tried or the protocol used.
When I can use a wifi network on any device with a VPN i usually get 50% of the speed without VPN. So, I am happy with that.
I have tried may VPN operators. Roughly I get similar results.

WHAT MAKES ME FEELING VERY STRANGE is, when using 4/5G telephone network + VPN, IRRESPECTIVE of the distance, the server or the protocol, the speed is systematically about 3,5 mbps…????!!!
Like something is limiting on purpose when a vpn is detected.

So should I understand Thai telephone operators are throttling the bandwidth when using a VPN?

Thanks for your comments.

I have the exact opposite effect.

Tried a speedtest to Orange, Marseille directly from 3BB and then through NordVPN connected to some French server:

3BB:     32.13  88.94

VPN:  340.60  90.77

2 hours ago, bratstvo said:

using 4/5G telephone network + VPN, IRRESPECTIVE of the distance, the server or the protocol, the speed is systematically about 3,5 mbps…????!!!

And what is it without?

What does a local speedtest show?

Also True? What internet package?

Repeating against another server ("LaFibre.info"):

319.71     79.52

459.13     89.53

Can't make up a conclusion really.

Edited by KhunBENQ

You mentioned using your IPhone hotspot but I'm not clear if your using the Hotspot each time you are losing thru put? And not using it when on someones wifi direct. If so that can be part of your issue as some carriers don't give the same thru put speed when using hotspot unless your pay extra for that hotspot service 

Edited by Dan O
Spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Tried a speedtest to Orange, Marseille directly from 3BB and then through NordVPN connected to some French server:

Package: True SmartChoice 4G no limit 499

On Macbook, connected through iPhone HotSpot (currently 5G), NO VPN

33,9 mbps

On Macbook, connected through iPhone HotSpot (currently 5G), VPN : NordVPN, server in Marseille from 3BB

3,62 mbps

It does not matter the protocol, the sever, the country (I have tried Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Japan, HongKong, USA, Germany, Swiss, France, etc.)
I systematically got a number below 4 mbps on this configuration.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

You mentioned using your IPhone hotspot but I'm not clear if your using the Hotspot each time you are losing thru put? And not using it when on someones wifi direct. If so that can be part of your issue as some carriers don't give the same thru put speed when using hotspot unless your pay extra for that hotspot service 

on Hotspot without VPN, lets say it is correct... I do not complain in this configuration.

It is when I want to use VPN on Hotspot, it does not matter the protocol, the sever, the country (I have tried Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Japan, HongKong, USA, Germany, Swiss, France, etc.)
I systematically got a speed below 4 mbps.

Thanks

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

3BB:     32.13  88.94

VPN:  340.60  90.77

And what is it without?

What does a local speedtest show?

Also True? What internet package?

Repeating against another server ("LaFibre.info"):

319.71     79.52

459.13     89.53

Can't make up a conclusion really.

Under specific circumstances VPN's can increase speeds for certain services. ISP's sometimes throttle, or artificially slow down specific types of of traffic; for example, several major ISP's have throttled streaming entertainment like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc..

In most instances a VPN will slow down your internet since it is fundamentally a rerouting rather than a short cut. However, the amount your speed is affected depends on the circumstances (see above). How fast your native internet was before applying a VPN, which brand VPN you are using and how far away you are from your VPN server can all play a part in your internet speed experience.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, bratstvo said:

on Hotspot without VPN, lets say it is correct... I do not complain in this configuration.

It is when I want to use VPN on Hotspot, it does not matter the protocol, the sever, the country (I have tried Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Japan, HongKong, USA, Germany, Swiss, France, etc.)
I systematically got a speed below 4 mbps.

Thanks

That's my point in that the Hotspot is throttling the speed because it's routing not thru normal cell towers or servers but also thru the VPN   depending on the phone and the carrier it can be dramatic or even impossible 

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Under specific circumstances VPN's can increase speeds for certain services. ISP's sometimes throttle, or artificially slow down specific types of of traffic; for example, several major ISP's have throttled streaming entertainment like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc..

None of this, just normal browsing, no specific downloading, no P2P...

52 minutes ago, Dan O said:

That's my point in that the Hotspot is throttling the speed because it's routing not thru normal cell towers or servers but also thru the VPN   depending on the phone and the carrier it can be dramatic or even impossible 

I want to be sure to understand...
When  you say "the Hotspot is throttling the speed..." you mean the the iPhone, or the ISP ?

I feel rather confused... If googling with the questions "is your ISP throttling your internet access..." The solution given is... use a VPN... ????????.

Honestly, I am lost in translation.

5 hours ago, bratstvo said:

None of this, just normal browsing, no specific downloading, no P2P...

Then maybe the second part lke what VPN are you using? Where's their server in relation to 1) you and, 2) the host of whatever you are attempting to access?

FWIW, my experience of connecting via VPN from anywhere to anywhere has been typically slower and not just here in Thailand. However, I have never tried any connections via TRUE be they VPN or direct.

7 hours ago, bratstvo said:

I want to be sure to understand...
When  you say "the Hotspot is throttling the speed..." you mean the the iPhone, or the ISP ?

I feel rather confused... If googling with the questions "is your ISP throttling your internet access..." The solution given is... use a VPN... ????????.

Honestly, I am lost in translation.

Yes I am saying there is a good possibility that the Hotspot is affecting the speed.

You can Google that and see the answer.

Easy to check, use your computer in an area that gives you wifi service direct and use your vpn to connect and see your speed. Then switch the computer from using the wifi direct with VPN and connect thru the  Hotspot feature on your phone still using VPN on the computer and see your speeds

47 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Don't forget to use a decent speed tester. There was a rather heated debate on another thread that proved that not all speed testers are created equal and the following one came highly recommended.

TestMy.net

This, and Ookla Speedtest, give exactly the same results for my W11 PC.

Only 180Mb/s today on 3BB 1Gb optic cable. It is usually around 950Mb/s.

Drops to 50% of that with Express VPN connected to UK.

16 hours ago, bratstvo said:

When using a VPN on my iPhone on 4/5G or on Mac or iPad through the iPhone Hotspot, I SYSTEMATICALLY get between 3 and 4 mbps, NEVER MORE irrespective of the servers (close or far) I have tried or the protocol used.

I think that this is attributable to your phone not being able to process (filter/forward) packets at rates that even a budget router could handle. I mean it was not designed as a bridge or router, rather some lower layer software is allowing two interfaces (4G -- WiFi) to transport packets. (These interfaces are not the limiting factors, although they can be with real routers.)

I experience similar lower thresholds of performance when using my Pixel 6 as a hotspot, with or without a VPN enabled.

There is a great thread here (in one of these sub-forums) about detailed use and testing of 4G routers.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1273022-your-experience-with-sim-card-routers/

I'd look into a 4G router, making sure you buy something that has been reviewed as being capable of supporting your application requirements.

A TP-Link MR600 might be the best mid-range option, but check the reviews.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

I think that this is attributable to your phone not being able to process (filter/forward) packets at rates that even a budget router could handle. I mean it was not designed as a bridge or router, rather some lower layer software is allowing two interfaces (4G -- WiFi) to transport packets. (These interfaces are not the limiting factors, although they can be with real routers.)

It is iPhone 12 Pro... do not think so...

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, bratstvo said:

It is iPhone 12 Pro... do not think so...

Do you have your phone manufacturers technical specification that supports your thinking that it is "able to process (filter/forward) packets" at same or better rates than a bespoke SIM card modem?

Or a Google Pixel 6 Pro, or a Samsung Galaxy S22 or an ASUS Rog phone 5s?

On 4/19/2023 at 8:47 PM, bratstvo said:

Can you provide more detail on this plan?

Is it part of a larger internet bundle which might include home broadband and streaming?

How long have you had this plan?

What do you think the terms of the plan are? Volume? Speed?

Does "no limit" refer to Volume of data? Or speed? or both?

Most, if not all, unlimited volume mobile data plans here are speed capped, either completely, say at 1, 4, 6 Mbps. Or are capped once you reacha  certain volume.

Most references I find, after a brief search, indicate these (SmartChoice) plans are capped at 1, 4 or 6 Mbps.

In short, it would help if you could share the terms and conditions of this plan.

And you should contact True(Move) if you feel you are experiencing poor service.

I seriously doubt True is "throttling" VPN traffic. Why would they?

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Can you provide more detail on this plan?

Well, honestly, I cannot give you information. I have searched on internet (TRUE website) for you, but cannot get the exact plan. I guess, like I had this experience many times in Asia, when they abandon or change the package you will still enjoy it as it was subscribed, but it won't be for sales anymore.

This True SmartChoice 4G no limit 499 plan was suggested by my Thai friend and I let her manage it.
My initial request was, unlimited internet access with phone with 5G. We do not have lan at home, so we use our mobiles for internet.
I have tried few things before reaching this plan, but I was not really satisfied.
Sometimes True SmartChoice 4G no limit is good, sometimes it is not. There is no real continuity in performance. The plan says 4G. I get 5G badge on my iPhone 12 Pro, but I doubt it is 5G. Very rarely, I get 300 mbps ; sometimes around 50-100 mbps ; lately between 20 and 30 mbps during day.
Right now, it is 12:00, I have 42 mbps.
That is for the speed.
For the volume, as far as I know, there is no limits. I remember I have used 257 Go during one month.
I am sorry, that all I can share with you. I will try to get more later.

Edited by bratstvo

If someone can explain...
Very strangely, to come back on my initial question about "ISP throttling when detecting VPN?", I have found yesterday morning that using VPN on Hotspot, I could get more than the limited 3,5 mbps I use to have for the past 18 months (I arrived in ???????? at the end of 2021)...!!!!!????????
I do not know what has changed since yesterday...

Then, yesterday was Thursday. On Wednesday evening, around midnight, nothing was working properly. Internet on my Phone was ON and OFF repeatedly. When ON, the speed was sh... Even the wifi, in the business rooms where I lived, was ON and OFF.
Suddenly, in the morning, everything was back to normal, and more I could get internet from hotspot with VPN at good speed (around 70 mbps).

Again, if someone can explain...

Probably this is the case: https://aseannow.com/topic/1263948-isp-technical-support-contacts-needed/?do=findComment&comment=17611685

I am not sure about this though, I do not use Truemove as it is the worst mobile internet provider. You should check it yourself by running "mtr" to your VPN server, or at least "ping" it continuously and check for packet losses.

4 hours ago, bratstvo said:

using VPN on Hotspot

4 hours ago, bratstvo said:

I could get internet from hotspot with VPN at good speed (around 70 mbps).

Could you describe the network, devices, configuration? You are running a VPN client on your iPhone which is (only) connected to the TrueMove mobile data network? And you're sharing that WAN/VPN connection locally from your iPhone using WiFi? What devices are you attaching via WiFi? MAC? Other devices? How many? On 2.4 GHz? 5 GHz?

And you're testing speeds from the WiFi-attached devices?

Can you run the VPN clients on the end-point devices?

37 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Could you describe the network, devices, configuration? You are running a VPN client on your iPhone which is (only) connected to the TrueMove mobile data network? And you're sharing that WAN/VPN connection locally from your iPhone using WiFi? What devices are you attaching via WiFi? MAC? Other devices? How many? On 2.4 GHz? 5 GHz?

Iphone 12 pro set for <5G auto> (voice & data) and <Allow More Data on 5G> (data mode). It is used as HotSpot from TrueMove
Devices connected to this Hotspot (by WiFi):

1) Ipad pro (no specific setting)
and / or

2) MacBook Pro 15" (no specific settings)

When I use VPN, I set on only on the connected device.

If I run VPN on iPhone, it is because I need it on iPhone.

I was using NordVPN before.

I have moved to ExpressVPN (more smooth to use, so far, but it is my opinion).

On Mac, I use Intego (just joined as I got a promotion to test it 1 year for 10 USD).

As said previously, the package is 4G on TrueMove.

the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz WiFi network is not relevant as the VPN is very correct through WiFi whatever the device I used.

The issue is only on TrueMove tel network...

On 4/19/2023 at 8:47 PM, bratstvo said:

On Macbook, connected through iPhone HotSpot (currently 5G), NO VPN

33,9 mbps

On Macbook, connected through iPhone HotSpot (currently 5G), VPN : NordVPN, server in Marseille from 3BB

3,62 mbps

It does not matter the protocol, the sever, the country (I have tried Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Japan, HongKong, USA, Germany, Swiss, France, etc.)
I systematically got a number below 4 mbps on this configuration.

Thanks

Package: True SmartChoice 4G no limit 499 is capped at 4 Mbps. 

33 minutes ago, bratstvo said:

That is what I could find for you.

Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 20.28.33.jpg

The faster speed that you received via your Apple PC was from the free full speed 10GB that you receive. Then it defaults to your unlimited 4Mbps package.