Opposition builds to the magic of Khaosad 420 on World Cannabis Day

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yes the older crowd participated in his demise, he had the craving and they happily supplied him.. ultimately it was his choice, but it started with cannabis.

so he had never had a drink befiore that first fatal toke?

25 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

He was a very social drinker, not an alcoholic.... but the need for drugs controlled him form the day he started cannabis.

I belive you are telling yourself lies to rationalize your freinds death. have you ever tried weed?

Edited by n00dle

I am not sure where exactly the boundaries of reason would be for something that can’t be an overly popular subject in a country with such a largely conservative cultural base. But flamboyant displays of any kind that can and will be perceived as rubbing the already angst-ridden public’s nose in what for them is viewed as yet another Pandora’s box will have predictable but unfortunate consequences for the nation’s, as well as ganja’s long-term, progressive success. I agree with two schools of thought: If something works, don’t draw unnecessary attention to it, and secondly, don’t bite the duplicitous hand that is responsible for whatever sudden and “inexplicable” good fortune has befallen you - that which appears without documentable public support, or at least some semblance of due process, can evaporate just as abruptly. I am generally supportive of societies’ sometimes I’ll-fated attempts to mitigate the consequences of the human predilection for control over how they’re forced to perceive their nonsensical surroundings, but l also recognize that the species will forever require guard rails due ingrained short-sightedness. If we don’t impose them on ourselves through a blend of self-governance, peer pressure, and vigilance, they will inevitably be imposed by some unwanted individual at the point of a gun. It should however be pointed out that without a civilian government of some sort, none of this matters. So, there’s that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

I belive you are telling yourself lies to rationalize your freinds death. have you ever tried weed?

Believe what you will, I'm not telling lies to anyone or myself.

I watched a school friend from kindergarten to University go from a normal fun loving human being to being buried in the ground because of drugs.

It started with cannabis and ended with heroin.

[nothing to do with alcohol]

Have I tried weed... the answer is NO and I never will.

• Haha 2

Just now, hotchilli said:

I'm not talking about alcohol, it has nothing to do with what I was saying.

oh, ok. So a lifelong "very social drinker" went off the rails and died of a heroin overdose it is safe to assume marijuana was the gateway because alcohol has "nothing to do with" what you were saying.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, n00dle said:

oh, ok. So a lifelong "very social drinker" went off the rails and died of a heroin overdose it is safe to assume marijuana was the gateway because alcohol has "nothing to do with" what you were saying.

Got it in one.

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

Believe what you will, I'm not telling lies to anyone or myself.

I watched a school friend from kindergarten to University go from a normal fun loving human being to being buried in the ground because of drugs.

It started with cannabis and ended with heroin.

[nothing to do with alcohol]

Have I tried weed... the answer is NO and I never will.

That is a fine blind spot you are nurturing there. 

Im sure he wasn't abusing alcohol as he made his way up the heirarchy of poor choices and addictive substances. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Im sure he wasn't abusing alcohol as he made his way up the heirarchy of poor choices and addictive substances. 

As will many Thai youths who tread the same path...

Starting with weed until it does nothing for them, then venturing on to the next fad.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I've yet to see anyone smoking pot in our village let alone abuse it. 

thats because, according our freind here, they are probably already dead of a heroin overdose

Edited by n00dle
  • Haha 2

This blah blah about canabis is totaly nonsens. Everyone can buy almost every drug in the roads. It's forbidden, but out of control. It's a lost war!!!

The lawmakers & helpers will never control any drug if they not change the laws and sell the drugs self. They can sell clean drugs without rat poison and all the other <deleted> what is used to double it. The income can be used for prevention videos for schools, anti-drug-clinics, social help, ...

This will help much more as to give it to the drug dealers & lords.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Have you thought about offering up this ‘evidence’ to science. They’ve been looking this link for close to a century and failed to find it. And you have…

Lacking any evidence to the contrary we might assume that he is speaking from personal experience. His or somebody he knows perhaps?

In any event, his personal and tragic experience is clearly not wide enough to contravene the many decades of national and global experience to the contrary.

The 'stepping stone' mythology lost respect soon after it appeared in the government propaganda film "Reefer Madness".

Nonetheless, I recommend viewing it again. The laughs are never-ending, especially if one has just indulged in a hit of 'personal enjoyment'.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Like alcohol to some it's a stepping stone to harder misuse.

The key word here is "some". Like alcohol it's a minority of users. Why spoil the enjoyment for the majority because of a weak-minded few?

And anyway....the USA proved prohibition didn't work in the 1920s - from that POV, nothing has changed: all that happens is that the gangsters get rich!

Of course, one needs to ask exactly WHO the gangsters are. In Thailand, some of them are alleged to be dressed in brown, but i couldn't possibly comment. ????

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I lost a good friend when I was younger.

He started to try cannabis, said it was just like a cigarette.

Then it wasn't enough, so he tried other substances.

Then they weren't enough, when at university he got in with an older crowd.

Lets just say three years later he was on heroin and eventually died.

I'm not saying ban cannabis, but it's use and availability has to be controlled.

Too many young people get on it for a joke, and then find they can't handle it.

You will never get get any sense from a pothead or wannabee pothead as from the very first spliff they are brainwashed by the peddlers of the drug that it is:

a) not addictive

b) far less harmful than alcohol

Yet go see anyone in the west who has a serious "dangerous" drug problem and almost all have started on weed.

It isn't even the drug performance that is the issue but simply that those supplying weed either also supply "hard" drugs or they know people that do and the user may very well not try hard drugs if they didn't know where to get them. It is their use of weed which opens that Pandora's box.

Of course, in Thailand, it is printing money season, which will blow up as you cannot have every 3rd shop as a drug den.

Just like at university, I don't mind those who want some weed and sure I've tried it but I also lived in a drug house without partaking and every day was wasted on weed or the pursuit of weed, to the detriment or absence of work and weekends were a series of uppers, then ecstasy, LSD perhaps, then downers and of course, constant weed with some strengths being a million miles away from the "not addictive" and "safer than booze". All this started from beautiful, safe, non harmful, non addictive pot.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SGD said:

You will never get get any sense from a pothead or wannabee pothead as from the very first spliff they are brainwashed by the peddlers of the drug that it is:

a) not addictive

b) far less harmful than alcohol

Yet go see anyone in the west who has a serious "dangerous" drug problem and almost all have started on weed.

It isn't even the drug performance that is the issue but simply that those supplying weed either also supply "hard" drugs or they know people that do and the user may very well not try hard drugs if they didn't know where to get them. It is their use of weed which opens that Pandora's box.

Of course, in Thailand, it is printing money season, which will blow up as you cannot have every 3rd shop as a drug den.

Just like at university, I don't mind those who want some weed and sure I've tried it but I also lived in a drug house without partaking and every day was wasted on weed or the pursuit of weed, to the detriment or absence of work and weekends were a series of uppers, then ecstasy, LSD perhaps, then downers and of course, constant weed with some strengths being a million miles away from the "not addictive" and "safer than booze". All this started from beautiful, safe, non harmful, non addictive pot.

I would suggest all you're saying is reinforcing my point that it's a minority of weak-minded individuals who succumb. 

Like you, when at college I had acquaintances who smoked dope, and a few who took (much) heavier stuff. I don't smoke but I have eaten cannabis (in cookies and curries) and also tried speed in my youth. I like a drink too but am not addicted in any way (I can go into a pub and drink soft drinks without craving alcohol, especially when driving.)

Let people do as they please as long as they're "consenting adults" - a bit like sex really ????

• Like 2

23 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I don't blame the police, as I don't in Thailand for failing in their duty.

Drugs will always be available if one wants to chase them.

My point was what started as a "safe recreational" smoke tuned into something far sinister for him.

And that same fate will be waiting for some Thai youths who think it's cool to smoke cannabis.

Almost straight out of “ Reefer Madness”, IMO. 
A good friend of mine managed to earn a PHD in analytical chemistry ( one of the most rigorous  academic pursuits) while huffing pot on a daily basis. Should I then advocate it’s use for all students?

A singular outcome either way is not a logical basis for societal decision. Far more pot heads have not experienced the “ gateway” effect than have, I believe.

It is no longer appropriate for me, nor more than about one beer a month, though a close relative retired a multi-millionaire despite being sloshed almost daily by 15:00.

Sadly Darwin has an oar in this boat.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2023 at 10:49 PM, Bim Smith said:

Some hold this country back. I don't use it but it's way safer than alcohol 

Alcoholics tell me that booze is great and they love it.

And you, along with all your fellow....."hobbyists", say the same about cannabis, based on one single tenet, ignoring all else:  People don't get violent.

There is much to be concerned about besides that aspect, just as there is more than violence to be concerned about in the world of the drunks, but you are no more willing to acknowledge the broader aspects, and the science thereof,  than the ****heads are to concern themselves about "collateral damage".

You exist in the same self-absorbed, self-indulgent, self-justifying space that they do.

Edited by Enoon
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/20/2023 at 5:46 AM, hotchilli said:

This was Anutins vote buying plan all along, medical use only he said.

The usual Thai free-for-all ensued.

He knows every user and every business will vote for him.

Judging by the Thai polls I have seen recently, FWIW, Anutin and the BJT are down in the also rans.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Enoon said:

Alcoholics tell me that booze is great and they love it.

And you, along with all your fellow....."hobbyists", say the same about cannabis, based on one single tenet, ignoring all else:  People don't get violent.

There is much to be concerned about besides that aspect, just as there is more than violence to be concerned about in the world of the drunks, but you are no more willing to acknowledge the broader aspects, and the science thereof,  than the ****heads are to concern themselves about "collateral damage".

You exist in the same self-absorbed, self-indulgent, self-justifying space that they do.

Sorry I don't drink. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Bim Smith said:

Sorry I don't drink. 

Yeah, just noticed that I completely misread you to be a user of cannabis, and failed to notice that you don't drink either!

Well done on both counts!

Unfortunately, as I have grown older, and witnessed the damage that both substances have caused to family and friends, the (blinding) red mist has tended to descend more rapidly when I read positive comments about them........and off I go.

Sorry about that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1