Thai Health Experts Alleviate Public Concerns About New Covid-19 Variant

webfact

Just now, transam said:

Move the goal posts, won't you.........????

Chummy, you are on an agenda run, which doesn't fool me....????

I suppose you don't wear a car seat belt either, cos the risk is so incredibly low that nothing will ever happen to you....????

I always wear a seat belt. Getting the wife to wear a seat belt is another story. I never wear a mask. Not now. By not wearing a mask I'm at risk from what and what will be the consequences? I've had covid (Omicron, definitelty once but maybe twice and delta maybe once.). Not too bad. Over in a few days. I've had the flu once in my life and that wasn't good. Nothing like Omicron for me. I had pnuemonia as a baby, I have a few medical conditions, I've sustained numerous injuries, broken bones, dislocations etc, I drink, I smoke I'm >60 yrs old but I am in no way concerned with the Omicron variant of Sars-Cov-2. Why should I be.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And likewise from the WHO in the past week:

WHO warns COVID pandemic still volatile

April 18, 2023

"The World Health Organization on Tuesday warned the COVID pandemic was still volatile, saying there could be further trouble before the virus settles into a predictable pattern.

In the last 28 days, more than 23,000 deaths and three million new cases have been reported to the WHO, in the context of much-reduced testing.

While the numbers are decreasing, "that's still a lot of people dying and that's still a lot of people getting sick", WHO emergencies director Michael Ryan told a press conference."

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-04-covid-pandemic-volatile.html

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And likewise from the WHO in the past week:

WHO warns COVID pandemic still volatile

April 18, 2023

"The World Health Organization on Tuesday warned the COVID pandemic was still volatile, saying there could be further trouble before the virus settles into a predictable pattern.

In the last 28 days, more than 23,000 deaths and three million new cases have been reported to the WHO, in the context of much-reduced testing.

While the numbers are decreasing, "that's still a lot of people dying and that's still a lot of people getting sick", WHO emergencies director Michael Ryan told a press conference."

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-04-covid-pandemic-volatile.html

I'm sorry but again yes people are still dying but the big question is dying with or dying from. I wonder how many people have died in the last 28 with the common cold? This is why I would like to see a breakdown of age and comorbidities. Who knows maybe 22,000 of the 23,000 had comorbidities. Don't know. As for people getting sick well people get sick all the time. It's a matter of severity. From what I've seen hospitilisations, ICU, intubation are all way down and continuing to decrease. As for hospitalisations are these people going to hospital for other reasons and being screened and coming back positive? I believe these are called incedental positives or something like that. It's undeniable that the Omicron era is nothing like Delta. We were very lucky that some how Omicron evolved and displaced Delta.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

The fact that people may have co-morbidities when they die of COVID doesn't mean they didn't die of COVID... COVID may have caused their death as a primary factor, or it may have contributed to their death in tandem with their pre-existing conditions.  In either case, it's still COVID at least contributing to the death.

From earlier this month in a time of Omicron:

"“There are still people who are getting wicked sick,” said Libby Hohmann, an infectious-disease physician at Massachusetts General Hospital.

“For most of us, it’s kind of a yawn now, but … you see these people, covid pushes them over the cliff,” she said."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2023/04/16/covid-deaths-per-day/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Dr Maria Van Kerkhove, WHO Technical Lead on COVID-19

March 29, 2023

"At the present time, we’re still in a public health emergency of international concern at a global level as well as still in a pandemic. The virus is circulating. We are in a much better situation than we were since the beginning of this pandemic. While we still see a lot of circulation of the virus, we are not seeing the same level of impact, and by impact we mean there’s a reduced incidence of hospitalisation, ICU and death. But the threat isn’t over...."

https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/virtual-press-conference-on-covid-19-and-other-global-health-issues-transcript-29-march-2023

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Sure. But a common cold can do do the same.

You keep trying to falsely liken the risks of COVID to those of having a cold. They're not the same, as has previously been shown earlier in this thread. But you keep repeating the same falsity.  Some surface symptoms may be the same. But the overall risks and health outcomes are not. COVID has been among the top leading causes of death in the U.S. even into 2022. Having a cold (or the flu) is not.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thumbs Up 1

Screenshot_2.jpg.d5c8451963b35b49262f112a6897b1b4.jpg

"Since COVID first hit the U.S., some have argued that the nascent disease is no more dangerous than the flu, which sweeps the U.S. every fall and winter.

While the two can present with similar symptoms—like fever, cough, fatigue, sore throat, muscle aches, and headache—and are both more likely to be fatal for the elderly and immunocompromised, the comparison falls apart when it comes to the death toll. 

One graph in particular shows just how stark the mortality difference is between the two. Flu deaths appear almost flat compared to surges in COVID deaths over the past three years."

https://fortune.com/well/2022/09/27/why-covid-isnt-like-the-flu-death-toll-leading-cause-death-omicron-shot-booster-vaccine/

And now, even after the recent declines, the weekly COVID death rate in the U.S. right now at 1,160 fatalities is still somewhat higher than the Sept. 17, 2022 weekly figure of 1,055 cited in the chart above.

Screenshot_3.jpg.41d701f0e851623b829eaa15cc13e860.jpg

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home

13 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I'm sorry but again yes people are still dying but the big question is dying with or dying from. I wonder how many people have died in the last 28 with the common cold? This is why I would like to see a breakdown of age and comorbidities. Who knows maybe 22,000 of the 23,000 had comorbidities. Don't know. As for people getting sick well people get sick all the time. It's a matter of severity. From what I've seen hospitilisations, ICU, intubation are all way down and continuing to decrease. As for hospitalisations are these people going to hospital for other reasons and being screened and coming back positive? I believe these are called incedental positives or something like that. It's undeniable that the Omicron era is nothing like Delta. We were very lucky that some how Omicron evolved and displaced Delta.

Oh dear, still doesn't understand what death via Covid means........:ermm:

More excuses from that deepening hole.................:coffee1:

• Sad 1

XBB.1.16 Initial Risk Assessment, 17 April 2023

The global risk assessment for XBB.1.16 is low as compared to XBB.1.5 and the other currently circulating variants, at this current time and with available evidence (see risk assessment table below). While growth advantage and immune escape properties are observed in different countries and immune backgrounds, including in countries where XBB.1.5 has become the dominant variant recently, no changes in severity have been reported in countries where XBB.1.16 are reported to be circulating. In India and Indonesia, there has been a slight increase in bed occupancy numbers. However, the levels are much lower than seen in previous variant waves. Taken together, available information does not suggest that XBB.1.16 has additional public health risk relative to XBB.1.5 and the other currently circulating Omicron descendent lineages. However, XBB.1.16 may become dominant in some countries and cause a rise in case incidence due to its growth advantage and immune escape characteristics.

*** Severity and clinical considerations Level of risk: Low, as three months into the emergence of XBB.1.16, and from sustained and detailed variant and epidemiological surveillance in India, severity indicators have not increased across the Indian states, and neither are there any reports of severity in any of the other countries that have detected XBB.1.16.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/21042023xbb.1.16ra-v2.pdf?sfvrsn=84577350_1

Edited by dinsdale
  • Haha 1

On 4/20/2023 at 9:33 AM, jacko45k said:

I don't think it is about masks so you can probably let that OCD matter go.... just people who previously felt they had found a cause, now feeling redundant. 

Masks are a rather unpleasant sight though, especially when worn by cuties.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've seen some very pleasant looking young ladies wearing face masks when out in public... No complaints here.

Screenshot_6.jpg.ee6a59553568828bfa2d659fe742e9cb.jpg

Screenshot_7.jpg.52e91f07d42a2b6ce41f555798e98ed1.jpg

Very nice, but it all depends on what floats your boat. I like pretty faces and beautiful bodies.