Visa refusal decision reversed !

1 minute ago, killblues said:

The embassy refused the app on the grounds that I wasn’t in the UK when I applied even though I was in the UK. How is that not their mistake ? 

That is not the point, given the holiday situation you didn't allow reasonable time for the application to be dealt with. A earlier application would have allowed more processing time. The reality is you only allowed about 6 days.

As far as the refusal is concerned that is something else. The Embassy would take it that you were in the UK at time of application unless you gave them reason to think otherwise. The text of the questions is not always as clear as it should be and it is fairly obvious from comments on this forum that people often misinterpret what is being asked. They need to be read several times before making an answer.

• Confused 16
  • Sad 3

Having never heard of the reason they initially gave you (that you were not located in the UK), one wonders why an embassy clerk reached that conclusion.  Perhaps a simple error or computer glitch on their part or, for some reason unknown to you, they saw something leading them to believe you were not in the UK.  As to the latter possibility, only thing I can think of that might cause that thinking is that you were using a VPN which would indicate your online application was sourced in another country. 

In any event, hopefully there's no issue in you doing a border bounce in some fashion and activating your now-granted Tourist Visa.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, killblues said:

“The Embassy would take it that you were in the UK at time of application unless you gave them reason to think otherwise.”

I’ve been back over my application several times and I’m 100% sure everything is correct. The only thing I sent in reply to the embassies most recent email was the copy of my flight tickets of which I had already sent an identical copy. There was absolutely nothing that could imply I wasn’t in the UK at the time of the application. 

Comments on the forum have shown this question causes some confusion and brought a variety of responses.

" Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency. *"

Difficult to know how this would be interpreted. I used my passport without a problem but I could see how staff may think an address should be included. I know people who have submitted document with address and had no problem so the way I will choose in the future.

A more observant member of staff may have related your flight to the above question but not something that could be relied on, particularly with pressure from the impending holiday.

From the outcome it would appear that the overall assessment of the application wasn't as good as it should have been but that does not mean that there were any actual mistakes made.

Edited by sandyf
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, CMBob said:

Having never heard of the reason they initially gave you (that you were not located in the UK), one wonders why an embassy clerk reached that conclusion. 

A complete guess is that the application was made using a Thai debit/credit card, thus erroneously leading a mentally subnormal official to assume that the applicant was in Thailand.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

" Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency. *"

I've wondered myself if it sufficed to be a national of the country in which the Thai consulate is situated. It might become an issue in my case as the bank statements I would produce as proof of income are from a bank in a third country. And I am definitely no longer a resident of my country of birth. Might lead to a catch-22 situation.

1 hour ago, JackGats said:

I've wondered myself if it sufficed to be a national of the country in which the Thai consulate is situated. It might become an issue in my case as the bank statements I would produce as proof of income are from a bank in a third country. And I am definitely no longer a resident of my country of birth. Might lead to a catch-22 situation.

When I did mine last year I used bank statements from my Thai bank and it wasn't a problem.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JackGats said:

I've wondered myself if it sufficed to be a national of the country in which the Thai consulate is situated.

The section Supporting Documents in the online application process for a tourist eVisa requires the upload of a document regarding the applicant's address in 2 places, under point 7 and point 9: 

image.png

I live in Switzerland and when I applied for a tourist visa I uploaded a sheet with the text "not applicable" under point 7, and under point 9 I uploaded the same  statement for a bank account in Switzerland which I had already uploaded under point 6.