Notarized Marriage Certificate

roger101

I need to get my Marriage Certificate translated and notarized for my pension provider. No hurry but the wife will need it when I'm dead so she gets a percentage of my pension.

So I need a name and address of a suitable company obviously the cheaper the better as long as it's done properly. The only dealing I've had with a lawyer here many  years ago didn't end well and it turned out he wasn't qualified.

So I don't wont to make the same mistake again. With the number of expats in Pattaya there must be some of you who can recommend a descent company or individual.  Thanks

13 hours ago, couchpotato said:

"Euro Law", in the small soi adjacent to Big C Pattaya Thai.

I have used them for over 15 years for various legal matters.

He is a lawyer and Notary Public.

She speaks perfect Thai and English.

I would also recommend this company. Have used them a number of times in the past few years and found them very efficient and economic. As noted they are close to Big C South Pattaya, a few doors up from Key Visa, heading to Sukhumvit.

9 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You didn't say where you're from. If you're going to use the documents in Australia (for example), they can only be notarized at the Australian Embassy. You'd have to check on the procedure for your home country.

The procedure would likely be:

Translation to English and then authenticated by DFA, then notarized at Embassy.

Also true for all the European countries I'm aware of. In addition, embassies only allow certified translators (certified by the embassy) and if the document is notarized by the Thai Ministry of foreign affairs. The procedure would be:

1. Get the marriage certificate notarized by the Thai Ministry of foreign affairs.

2. Get the list of certified translators from your embassy and have one of them translate the document.

3. Get the document with translation notarized by your embassy.

14 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You didn't say where you're from. If you're going to use the documents in Australia (for example), they can only be notarized at the Australian Embassy. You'd have to check on the procedure for your home country.

The procedure would likely be:

Translation to English and then authenticated by DFA, then notarized at Embassy.

That's the procedure if you are a Brit with a Thai marriage certificate. Plenty of translators hanging around waiting to pounce at Thai MoFA. For some reason the translation I obtained from a certified translator in Pattaya wad not acceptable at MoFA.....do the prowlers pounced. Still we got it done same day there.

If a Brit watch out at the British Embassy too. On the phone I was fobbed off with  " we do not authenticate Thai Marriage Certificates ". This is technically true. After much research I cottoned on that what was needed, which they do. was a British Embassy apostille: the authentication not of the document but of the signature and official capacity of the MoFA official who approved the translation in to English. So ask for the apostille service under their consular services listing and don't mention what the document is! For a hefty fee the British consular staff will verify the MoFA official's signature and his/ her official capacity to do this are genuine and then add their own signature, their official capacity ( British Consul), and emboss the British Embassy seal on the document.  I had to do all this in person. Not sure if that is still a requirement.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/21/2023 at 12:29 AM, roger101 said:

I need to get my Marriage Certificate translated and notarized for my pension provider.

Ideally, I believe you'd want to have the notarization done by a notary in whatever country your pension provider is located in. The pension provider might accept a foreign country notarization, but also, they might not.

• 1 month later...

Yes. Same for my Belgian pension.

First my marriage Certificate stamped certified at MoFA at CW then

French translation at Alliance Française in BKK

English translation at Chulalongkorn Uni.

Both are used to translate Thai documents and do a great job.

You do it by email. No need to go there in person. 

https://www.chula.ac.th/en/cu-services/academic-services/chalermprakiat-center-of-translation-and-interpretation/

Chalermprakiat Center of Translation and Interpretation Faculty of Arts, Chulalongkorn University

Borommaratchakumari Building, 13th Floor, Room 1308 Tel: +66 2218 4635 Fax: +66 2218 4636 Email: [email protected]

Edited by jayceenik
  • Thumbs Up 1