Thailand’s General Election: Can the Winner Really Take All?

webfact

2 hours ago, stoner said:

most of which are *borrowed* from other cultures. 

Most cultures are derived from what went before. In Britain, for example, the culture includes Saxon, Norman, Roman and various other influences. You could say the same for every other culture in the world, because humans moved around a lot, even in ancient times. Borrowing is not the right word.

2 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Why do people leave places like America to live in places like Thailand, then try to turn Thailand into places like America? Surely, if the west was such a great place, we would all want to live there and our only interst in Thaland would be for a holiday in nice weather?

All that inequality stuff about the masses struggling under the yoke of the elite applies equally in the west too - the press is censored throughout the world these days, so you won't see too many headlines about pensioners feezing because they can't pay their energy bills because of net zero jacking up energy costs, etc, etc. At least Thailand has a cohesive society, where families help each other out, strong traditions, self-reliance, and a religion to support people through times of hardship. All the western world has is Prozac.

Thailand's election result was influenced by propogation of western non-culture, vote buying, and external influencing of the young and inexperienced. It will be overturned, and the sooner that happens the better.

In 2011 there were just over 42, 000 Thai born residents in the UK (up from 16,000 in 2001), in Australia just over 46,000 (2011) up 48% from 2006 (obvious trend upward).

In 2018 Thailand issued just 80,000 retirement visas. That is less than the number of Thais residing in just 2 western countries (way, way less if more up to date figures are used).

You have a very self centered view of things. You are unable to adjust your opinions to align with facts. The end result is that your posts are almost exclusively factually incorrect. Why do you persist with such nonsense?

Edited by MrMojoRisin

11 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Thailand has always been in safe and capable hands,

Have you put the correct country name in the above statement!

I believe there have been at least a dozen coup since 1932!

Not exactly the definition of a country in "safe and capable hands" is it?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Most cultures are derived from what went before. In Britain, for example, the culture includes Saxon, Norman, Roman and various other influences. You could say the same for every other culture in the world, because humans moved around a lot, even in ancient times. Borrowing is not the right word.

most other cultures will have no problem admitting that though. 

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Have you put the correct country name in the above statement!

I believe there have been at least a dozen coup since 1932!

Not exactly the definition of a country in "safe and capable hands" is it?

Thailand has its own methods of restoring the ststus quo, which may seem confronting to westerners used to voting every few years for two identical but differently named versions of political content. For all its faults, Thailand is nevertheless a place where we chose to go and live in, leaving behind the "progressive" "democracies" we hailed from. The end result of Thailand's seemingly chaotic politics is a nice place to live, with charming traditions, religion and a culture.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sidneybear said:

But Thais who move to the west don't harp on about injustice all the time, nor do they tell us we're all wrong and should change our ways to be more like Thailand. That's because Thais are peaceful, accepting, and respectful of different cultures and local customs.

not exactly. they move to the west to escape injustice no ? so why would they tell us we are wrong when they are moving to our society for what we made it into. 

Just now, stoner said:

most other cultures will have no problem admitting that though. 

Well, that's changing, but in the opposite way from what you think. Cultural appropriation is becoming a big issue to the wokists in the west. Thankfully, Thailand doesn't give a fig about it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stoner said:

not exactly. they move to the west to escape injustice no ? so why would they tell us we are wrong when they are moving to our society for what we made it into. 

I don't think so. All of the Thais I meet in the western world are there for the same reasons we travel - the exprience of living abroad, travel, work, curiosity, etc. That said, none of them harp on about injustice or try to change the way others behave, and all of them maintain fond links to their home country.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

I don't think so. All of the Thais I meet in the western world are there for the same reasons we travel - the exprience of living abroad, travel, work, curiosity, etc. That said, none of them harp on about injustice or try to change the way others behave, and all of them maintain fond links to their home country.

all 32 thai you met in the western world ? 

thai who leave for the most part want to escape here for what they perceive is a better life in western nations. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sidneybear said:

I believe the scientific or scholarly term you might be looking for is: diffusion. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Your junta loving fantasies are going to have to be satisfied elsewhere from now on my friend (China? North Korea? Iran? Russia) Enjoy.

Labels, irrelevant statistics and ad hominem attacks are pretty much as far as your debating skills go.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Labels, irrelevant statistics and ad hominem attacks are pretty much as far as your debating skills go.

Avoiding the topic again.

I guess it’s the only option for one so at odds with the facts.

At least you’re consistent I s’pose.

????????????

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, sidneybear said:

We've covered all this before, and you're being rude again, as you always do when you run out of things to say. I'm glad that corrupt people who buy votes, con the young, and don't have Thailand's best interests at heart won't succeed in turning Thailand into a ghastly clone of America, and that Thailand is in fact managed by wise people who value the status quo. Thailand has a lot going for it and doesn't need western styled "progress".

Nobody will "take all" as the headline suggests, because Thailand has always been in safe and capable hands, who aren't afraid to chuck out those whose only intention is to make a buck.

Translation:  You like corrupt autocracy.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Watch Thai Time with Paddee on YouTube, every Thai he interviews, without fail, want to get the hell out of Dodge, even though they admit they'd be homesick as a parrot.

It's a great place with naturally happy people ground down by aloof corrupt  obscenely wealthy elites who are mostly ethnically not even originally Thai. No prizes for guessing where the Motherland for them once was.   

13 hours ago, heybruce said:

Translation:  You like corrupt autocracy.

You translated from the wrong language. Being a conservative, I like Thailand's charming traditions, culture and stability. I oppose anything that seeks to remake Thailand in the image of the West.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

10 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

You translated from the wrong language. Being a conservative, I like Thailand's charming traditions, culture and stability. I oppose anything that seeks to remake Thailand in the image of the West.

You clearly don't want the Thai people to choose their government.  The traditions you claim to like are of autocracy and corruption.  So I stand by my translation.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

You clearly don't want the Thai people to choose their government.  The traditions you claim to like are of autocracy and corruption.  So I stand by my translation.

Seen through the lens of the western liberal and wokist meddling creed. Look at the kinds of government people are forced to choose in the west. Is that what you call a democracy? If it is, then give me a Thai style benevolent autocracy any day. Thailand is better in so many ways.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

25 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Seen through the lens of the western liberal and wokist meddling creed. Look at the kinds of government people are forced to choose in the west. Is that what you call a democracy? If it is, then give me a Thai style benevolent autocracy any day. Thailand is better in so many ways.

It's obvious, by way of this venue, that most are vested by their imperial/colonial instincts to have Thailand [and other locales worldwide] tow the line of Anglophone reflection and image. 

Surprised there hasn't been a call for a civilising mission intervention. 

We'll show the savages how to conduct themselves in the proper. 

This backward manner and mindset is still the unconscious prime reasons for their pathetic existence......and been practicing it for ages.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, candide said:

It's paradoxal to see a foreigner praising a power system for its 'Thai' characteristics, at a time a large majority of Thai people have expressed their will to get rid of it.

The Thai people have shown overwhelmingly in the recent election they no longer believe in the patronage system where the rich and powerful, the 'good' people, know best and 'Nong', know your place and keep quiet.

That doesn't mean Thais are going to abandon their parents and grandparents, abandon their religion ond lose a sense of community, characteristics sadly lacking in the West.

They just want democracy. They elected MF and PT to run the country, respect their vote.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I maintain that a foreigner who selfishly wants Thailand to remain a corrupt authoritarian oligarchy against the will of its people is more off base than one who wants it to become "a model of the West"

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, sidneybear said:

If the autocracy were benevolent and competent there would not be majority support for ending it.