re bar how much is it?

proton

we need to get a sinking driveway redone, hammering pillars into the ground is out of the question. Got a reasonable quote but he says get your own rebar, how much is it? It's only a space about 2.5x2.5 meters but we want the proper material like they use on the roads, not that wire like flimsy stuff. This kind of thing, guess it comes in a sheet we would have to cut down

re bar.jpeg

5 minutes ago, proton said:

Got a reasonable quote but he says get your own rebar, how much is it? It's only a space about 2.5x2.5 meters but we want the proper material like they use on the roads, not that wire like flimsy stuff. This kind of thing, guess it comes in a sheet we would have to cut down

It would be ridiculously expensive, not to mention pointless, to buy a rebar grid. 
IMG_1750.thumb.jpeg.d99cf2998b23bee5c7029af07dfd9ec9.jpeg

this is the genuine stuff

what you need is lengths of deformed rebar of your choice, probably 9mm, the use the standard wire tie method or even welded crossings, though wire ties are standard. You will need rebar chairs to give the correct stand-off. I doubt that you actually want the stand-off shown as you are not actually designing the concrete for repeated 50 tonne loads.

If the driveway is sinking now can you be sure the house will not start sinking next month?  So you might benefit from addressing the cause of the sinking rather than just putting a new cover over the top or part of the top.

1 minute ago, Dante99 said:

If the driveway is sinking now can you be sure the house will not start sinking next month?  So you might benefit from addressing the cause of the sinking rather than just putting a new cover over the top or part of the top.

Bingo, The only way to stop the sinking is with pilings. I learned the hard way by doing what you want to do. It cost a fortune to dig out all the rebar and concrete I had put in on my back porch that was only slightly sinking. Had to dig it all up 5 years later and put in the pilings due to said sinking. Well its not sinking anymore. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

House is not a problem, on the legally required depth of piles, nothing moved in 12 years, it's the ground not on piles which sinks, cannot do piles as not enough headroom to whack them in.

1 minute ago, marin said:

Bingo, The only way to stop the sinking is with pilings. I learned the hard way by doing what you want to do. It cost a fortune to dig out all the rebar and concrete I had put in on my back porch that was only slightly sinking. Had to dig it all up 5 years later and put in the pilings due to said sinking. Well its not sinking anymore. 

Would have to demolish a roof over the area to get the pile machine in so not doing that. Bloke next door just put tar mac down and adds to it if it keeps sinking! 

8 minutes ago, proton said:

Would have to demolish a roof over the area to get the pile machine in so not doing that

So is that roof going to be demolished if the driveway keeps sinking?  You have a roof over your driveway or just over your carport?

9 minutes ago, proton said:

Would have to demolish a roof over the area to get the pile machine in so not doing that. Bloke next door just put tar mac down and adds to it if it keeps sinking! 

Up2U. I had to take out a beautiful sala that covered the sunken water tank, so the tank went as well along with our biggest mango tree in order to get the piling machine in the correct place. But once again its the only way to stop it. Our neighbor went your way, his kitchen is now leaning about 20 degrees off center. 

1 minute ago, Dante99 said:

and soon to be pulling the house over too?

Thankfully its not connected to the house. But they are going to have to pull it down this year, as they can't get doors or windows to close anymore, even having them planed several times is just prolonging the inevitable. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, marin said:

Up2U. I had to take out a beautiful sala that covered the sunken water tank, so the tank went as well along with our biggest mango tree in order to get the piling machine in the correct place. But once again its the only way to stop it. Our neighbor went your way, his kitchen is now leaning about 20 degrees off center. 

They re laid the road in our area recently, took the old up whacked the ground then laid about 6 inches of concrete on sheets of re bar in sections. That gets 10 tonne lorries going over it and that will not be sinking. They dont pile for roads so why don't they sink inches? 

24 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

So is that roof going to be demolished if the driveway keeps sinking?  You have a roof over your driveway or just over your carport?

No roof is not connected it's just the first small part of the driveway the other part is on the house foundation

2 hours ago, proton said:

cannot do piles as not enough headroom to whack them in.

2 hours ago, proton said:

Would have to demolish a roof over the area to get the pile machine in

As long as you can get enough blokes and there is enough headroom (probably not much more than 2 meters) you can sink piles with no machine required. This is a well established Thai way

• Thumbs Up 1