Which one is better? Window AC or split one?

Goodboybkk

Dear all,

I look around some apartments. Some have window ACs, not split ones.

The landlords say that window ac is better than split one.

In New York city it is fairly common to have a window ac instead of a split one.

Which one is better for 'combatting' baking heat ?

How about eletricity bill?

Thanks

Edited by Goodboybkk
Thanks
  • Confused 1

The landlords would say that if they have to pay for purchase and installation. If the tenant pays, they would want a split system.

Window systems are definitely inferior in terms of noise, vibration and efficiency.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Are you claiming to see window air conditioners here in Thailand?  Almost none for last 30 years so expect older units.  

Bingo, the last one I saw was just at 40 years ago in my first apartment in BKK. Where have you seen them?

You can still buy them new in Saudi, the compound I lived on had the window rattlers (as we called them) and I loath the day they were changed to splits.

The old window ones were ugly, noisy and for sure a lot less efficient but they seemed to work a lot quicker and keep the room colder, additionally the heating side was much better too for the winters.

I wouldn't have them myself but I will never knock them 

only window AC in Thailand still selling are Junk 2nd hand items from Japan or Some unknown brand from China 

The ones native to Thailand are last sold 30-40 yeas ago, most apartment buildings and houses don't even have window that can accommodate them even to even make alterations to the window to be able to house them you might as well drill a hole and install the normal split type, even in rented apartments, Thai people install and remove them when they move out all the time

Portable types where you duct the hot air out the window are being sold a lot too, are you sure it isn't one of those

• Like 2

Landlord is taking you for a ride.

Do you think the other millions of users buy the wrong one.

Buy a quality split inverter AC from Daikin or Mitsubishi and you will hardly hear that it is on.

The last time that I experienced the monstrous window shakers was in a cheap hotel in New York in the late 80s.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Portable types where you duct the hot air out the window are being sold a lot too, are you sure it isn't one of those

Yes but not a proper efficient solution for a condo/apartment.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 5:21 PM, lopburi3 said:

Are you claiming to see window air conditioners here in Thailand?  Almost none for last 30 years so expect older units.  Split system is far better, quiet, more efficient (hot air totally outside).  Even in the Philippines most new units are split (and they are the USA overseas central).  In USA they do make more sense as not used all year and easy/cheap to install/replace.  Not a major factor here where install is not expensive for split units and most know how to do it.

There is one big advantage of window air type. They come as one block and only need to be installed. No filling, no tubes are necessary. I have seen plenty of split systems that were leaking and the shop came again and again for "service".
I have seen exactly 1 window air condition in Thailand...that was 10 years ago and it was than 10-15 years old. So they do exist...at least one of them.

1 minute ago, h90 said:

There is one big advantage of window air type. They come as one block and only need to be installed. No filling, no tubes are necessary. I have seen plenty of split systems that were leaking and the shop came again and again for "service".
I have seen exactly 1 window air condition in Thailand...that was 10 years ago and it was than 10-15 years old. So they do exist...at least one of them.

Never said they did not exist  ???? - had one myself in the 70's (as did many of the hourly motels).  But that was then - this is now.  And now almost unheard of.  Thai do not have windows to accept such so that one advantage is lost as will almost always require cutting hole in a wall to install and then an iron cage to protect.  Much easier to do it right with split system.

• Like 1

Are you claiming to see window air conditioners here in Thailand? 

Many being sold on Lazada, looks like the name has been adopted for modern  portable units.

As far as the OP is concerned unlikely portable units could deal with fairly high temperatures.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/6000-yt-18-10wac-window-air-conditioner6000btu-i719184716.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.795d1909HzAJry

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Many being sold on Lazada, looks like the name has been adopted for modern  portable units.

As far as the OP is concerned unlikely portable units could deal with fairly high temperatures.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/6000-yt-18-10wac-window-air-conditioner6000btu-i719184716.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.795d1909HzAJry

Do I understand that device right? It cools on the front side and heats on the back side, without having an hose or something to get the heat out of the room? So you either need to cut a hole into the wall to install it or for people (who have way too much money) to have it somewhere outdoors to have some cool breeze.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

6000 BTU, 542 W.
Can cool your chicken coop:cheesy:

2 hours ago, h90 said:

Do I understand that device right? It cools on the front side and heats on the back side, without having an hose or something to get the heat out of the room? So you either need to cut a hole into the wall to install it or for people (who have way too much money) to have it somewhere outdoors to have some cool breeze.

Some cut a primitive cover with a hole for the open window.

Otherwise it is a joke.

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

6000 BTU, 542 W.
Can cool your chicken coop:cheesy:

we have some 9000 which are OK for a single small room, and in Bangkok many people live in small rooms...and you don't need to cool down to 18C. A few degree less helps.

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Some cut a primitive cover with a hole for the open window.

Otherwise it is a joke.

back in Europe I have seen some devices with a hose which still pump the air from inside the room outside. And rarely I have seen some with hose inside hose, sucking air from outside and afterwards pushing the same air outside again. That is said to work good. But never tested it myself. I could imagine you must push a lot air thru it, either it is not efficient or it is noisy.

Are you claiming to see window air conditioners here in Thailand?  Almost none for last 30 years so expect older units. 

Yup. Not seen one of those antiques for a very long time. The cheap GI hotels used to have them. Very noisy and rattled like hell after a while. Not even seen one for sale anywhere for donkeys years. Strange post by OP ???

4 hours ago, h90 said:

No idea, just seen them advertised.

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

No idea, just seen them advertised.

I looked at it...it seems like that. Need to cut out a piece of the wall or put it into an open window and close the rest with cardboard. Not make much sense to me, but maybe I miss something