VAT back on computer at airport

PJ71

Just bought quite an expensive laptop, got the PP10 form for VAT refund.

Do i need to take the box it was bought in or just show the laptop?

Guess i could take photo's of serial no on box to show against the computer itself?

anyone done this?

From Thai Vat!

Here are some important points to remember:

At the time of purchase

When purchasing the goods, the tourist must present his/her passport and ask the store to issue a VAT Refund Application for Tourists form (P.P.10) along with the original tax invoice/s for the purchase. The passport number must be correct on the form.

*In the case of consumable goods, these must be sealed along with the message ‘No Consumption Made While in Thailand’.

At the airport when departing Thailand

The purchased goods, of which the total value must be 5,000 Baht or more, must be presented along with the VAT Refund Application for Tourists form and original tax invoice/s to a customs officer for inspection before check-in.

In the case of luxury goods (jewellery, gold, ornaments, watch, eyeglasses, pen, mobile or smart phone, laptop or tablet, handbag, and/or belt) of which the value is 10,000 Baht or more per item, and carry-on goods of which the value is 50,000 Baht or more per item, these must be hand carried and showed again at the VAT Refund for Tourists Office after passing through immigration.    

At the VAT Refund for Tourists Office, if the refund amount is not over 30,000 Baht with insurance for the tax refund amount, the payment will be made in cash (Thai Baht).

The refund can also be claimed by post to the Revenue Department of Thailand, or by drop-box in front of the VAT Refund for Tourists Office at the airport, and at the downtown refund office locations.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrJoy said:

You have to show the box, the merch and the PP 10 form to the custom officer at the airport.

You have to be on a tourist visa with no re entry permit.

Ah, can't do it on a non O then?

Just now, DrJoy said:

Nope. If you have any visa apart from a tourist visa, youre out of luck, sir

thanks, you've saved me carrying a box.

i'll take the paperwork and give it a go but sounds like i'll be s**t out of luck,

• Like 1

Who can claim a VAT refund
  1. Those who are not Thai nationality 
  2. Those who dont have a domicile in Thailand (Only those with single entry tourist visas)
  3. Those who are not an airline crew member departing Thailand on duty. 
  4. Depart Thailand from an international airport. 
  5. Purchase goods from stores displaying a "VAT REFUND FOR TOURISTS" sign. 
  6. Present the goods and VAT Refund Application for Tourist Form (P.P.10) and original tax invoices to the Customs officer before check-in at the airline counter on the departure date.

• Like 1

Vat Refund for Tourists conditions -

Goods must be purchased from stores displaying the "VAT REFUND FOR TOURISTS" sign.

Goods must be taken out of Thailand with the traveler within 60 days from the date of purchase.

Goods must be purchased at least 2,000 baht (VAT included) per day per store.

On the purchasing date, tourists must present Passport and ask the sales assistant to issue the VAT Refund Application for Tourists form (P.P.10) with the original tax invoices. 

Tourists must present the goods and VAT Refund Application for Tourists form (P.P.10) with original tax invoices to a Customs officer for inspection before check-in. 

In case of luxury goods (jewelry, gold, ornaments, watches, glasses, and pens of which the value is over 10,000 baht), the tourist is required to hand carry and show the goods again at the VAT Refund for Tourists

Office, after passing the immigration checkpoint. 

Tourists can claim a VAT refund at the VAT Refund for Tourists Counter at an international airport, or drop the documents into the box in front of the VAT Refund for Tourists office, or mail the documents  to the Revenue Department of Thailand. 

Edited by DrJoy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DrJoy said:

You have to show the box,

Perhaps it has changed but some years ago I claimed for a new laptop which I was carrying in an old laptop bag and I did not have any packaging for it.