Pattaya Police and Immigration Authorities Inspect Entertainment Venues for Illegal Foreigners and Overstays

webfact

25 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

There's been a LOT worse than this happen to tourists over the years, and it never hurts Teflon Thailand. 

The big global hanna-hanna over Thai haze will be forgotten with the first good monsoon and they will as always come in their millions, and for the most part, we won't leave until we're all eventually booted. Not an impossibility the way things are going. 

I'm sure it does a lot of damage as tourists go home and recount their experiences of police raids. The problem is it cannot be assessed due to the volume of tourists arriving here.

I can't imagine a tourist going home and telling his friends that the police raided a club and took urine samples would help promote Thailand.

• Like 2

Gives a completely new meaning to "urine luck" ????

I dare say if you really want to catch illegals, you need to target different venues and work smarter not harder. 

This basically satisfies their intrinsic need to throw their weight around.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I don't get it taking urine samples, what happen if you can't go, will you be arrested? Where I live, we just have a little gadget which you rub over your tongue, and it will tell you if you have taken any drugs.

That's it, guilty until proven innocent. It's absurd and it should be embarrassing, but these cops are shameless.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I don't get it taking urine samples, what happen if you can't go, will you be arrested? Where I live, we just have a little gadget which you rub over your tongue, and it will tell you if you have taken any drugs.

When they inform you of what will happen to you if you can't go you will probably go involuntarily ????

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, mran66 said:

Over 300 tested in a local nightlife venue and not a single drug positive found...pretty much as credible as no prostitution found in Soi 6.

Really. I'd think you could pick 300 people at random on the street and find several with illicit substances.

• Like 1

This is like deep ocean trawling. I'd be right pissed off if they pulled this when I was out enjoying a night out. Venue operators should voice disapproval. Or is there something going on with the choice of venue? Potentailly ruinous to a bona fide establishment.

16 minutes ago, ericthai said:

No.. and even if the police find out you overstayed or illegally staying (now called undocumented) they do nothing as that's immigrations job.

No immigration agents spot check anybody other than at points of entry?

10 hours ago, paul1804 said:

Why are they so paranoide of visa over stayers, wouldn't the police be better suited cleaning up the corruption in the country and a large portion of it is within their own ranks, addressing the appalling road fatalities, the illegal fire starters in the northern part of the country and addressing the growing major crimes that are occurring in Thailand. 

The Joe Ferrari scenario, there was so much blatant evidence that this guy was up to his neck in corruption. Then there is the Red Bull heir scenario which they openly do nothing about. 

Honestly the law enforcement agencies public image is such a disgrace, do they not feel ashamed?? Do the leaders not feel ashamed that they are in positions of power and all this shananigins is going on under their watch?  they swore to address these issues but do nothing accept talk and behind the scenes are often the perpetrators !! Its a pretty sad day for the average Thai, this beautiful countries people deserve a fair go!

Zenophobic headlines are more important and have greater impact and impression on the Thai populace that the authorities are doing a good job!

Edited by soi3eddie

7 hours ago, JensenZ said:

That's it, guilty until proven innocent. It's absurd and it should be embarrassing, but these cops are shameless.

They are being subject to a test... it is no different to that of people under suspicion of DUI having to be tested some way. Although I believe the police's time could be put to better use elsewhere, 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

They are being subject to a test... it is no different to that of people under suspicion of DUI having to be tested some way. Although I believe the police's time could be put to better use elsewhere, 

There is no similarity between testing under suspicion of DUI and turning on the lights and testing an entire crowd within a night venue.

Then you might want to bring up random breath testing as being a similar event, which by its name is "random", not the entire occupants in a building.

Then there's the testing method, of requiring 300 people to piss into vials. It's absurd and there's no simularity as you suggested. 

In addition to that, testing people suspected of DUI is removing a clear and present danger from the roads. No danger is being prevented by raiding the 300 strong crowd of the night venue and testing everyone.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

100 percent correct. They were also subjected to a piss test. 

Can anyone reference the law or show me a link to this?

Do I need to comply with a piss test request by law? 

I think the answer to that is you can refuse to take the piss test, but you will have to go to the police station to do it.

14 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Probably safer to holiday some place else, just to avoid being, possibly, hassled every other week.

The thing is the soldiers chased away hundreds of expats and tourists because they  don't lose out personally financially, it's the country that loses out, the ordinary Thai person who depends on tourism for a living who loses out big time.

If the soldiers really cared about the country and it's people and not just themselves, they would trying to encourage tourism and expats to come and live here.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, thailand49 said:

It had been awhile pre-covid but the Thai Hollywood owner need to think about paying up again!  This is what it is all about.  Guess those BF won't be suggesting Hollywood.

What does BF stand for? Do you have to be so lazy with your typing??

31 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

There is no similarity between testing under suspicion of DUI and turning on the lights and testing an entire crowd within a night venue.

Then you might want to bring up random breath testing as being a similar event, which by its name is "random", not the entire occupants in a building.

Then there's the testing method, of requiring 300 people to piss into vials. It's absurd and there's no simularity as you suggested. 

In addition to that, testing people suspected of DUI is removing a clear and present danger from the roads. No danger is being prevented by raiding the 300 strong crowd of the night venue and testing everyone.

All good points...

Although how Thailand conducts DUI tests breaks some of your points.

Their tests are not random... nor are they in many other countries .

The urine method of testing is old fashioned but all they have.

One should not expect Western attitudes when no longer in the West.

I suspect there are inaccuracies in the article... they did not test 300, the total is 141 foreign tourists..... they would still be doing them at 6am. Last time I was in a raided place it was chaos... 

I suspect they were acting on some information and well, in their eyes, if they catch a few drug takers, or illegals, it would have been justified. The amazing thing is they did not. 

49 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

All good points...

Although how Thailand conducts DUI tests breaks some of your points.

Their tests are not random... nor are they in many other countries .

The urine method of testing is old fashioned but all they have.

One should not expect Western attitudes when no longer in the West.

I suspect there are inaccuracies in the article... they did not test 300, the total is 141 foreign tourists..... they would still be doing them at 6am. Last time I was in a raided place it was chaos... 

I suspect they were acting on some information and well, in their eyes, if they catch a few drug takers, or illegals, it would have been justified. The amazing thing is they did not. 

Unfortunately drug takers are the not the problem but drug pushers. Punishing the takers doesn't help at all... and they're only a danger to themselves, unlike DUI drivers. I think the breath testing road stops are random as they don't test all drivers on all roads, but just at random points. 

I'm yet to understand the danger of overstayers and how catching them will make me feel safer. Any ideas on that? 

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

none that I've ever seen. 

Homeland Security secretary orders ICE to stop mass raids on immigrants' workplaces

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/12/1045295677/alejandro-mayorkas-ice-workplace-raids-dhs

Largest US immigration raids in a decade net 680 arrests

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-us-news-ap-top-news-arrests-immigration-bbcef8ddae4e4303983c91880559cf23