Intoxicated Man Beats Friend to Death in Phuket Over A Rude Comment

webfact

11 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That's step two thinking, which Thais are unable to do. Any potential consequence of his action would not have occurred to him. They only live in the moment. We read of this every day when people kill or maim others over next to nothing.

This is unique to Thai people?

I see.

12 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Sadly I think (after 10+ years living here) that is true.

Thai people seem to me to be uneducated and that goes hand in hand with common sense.

Thai people seem generally not more stupid than Aussies or whoever.

Thousands of people in our village can do/fix XYZ.

But their mindset/ future thinking can be of a 13 year old.

Ride the BTS and see the masks... ..they just can not let go.????????

i said it not to be rude but from my own exps here as ive been a teacher --a chef and volunteered......i stopped teaching as no one wanted to learn

obsessed with appearance--clothes--newest phone-tik tok FB...image...living in the moment with no thoughts about the future...as you said..the mindset

and then come crying to an "adult" to just hand them money to fix the problems they gave no thought to...is simply my exps and observations....and of course the are the exceptions but i was speaking for the majority of my interactions.....but then again im on TF all day :)......oooh add in the stuffed animals too

• Like 1

It comes down to perhaps the single most significant weakness most Thai people have. The pathological fear of losing face. Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. Nothing, less than zero. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. With friends it may be different, but most of us can laugh off an insult or a joke.

Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. I consider the practice of face to be the polar opposite of the practice of Buddhism, which teaches the need for introspection, contemplation, owning up to a problem, and taking responsibility for issues, problems and tragedies that you create in life.

As many of us know, a percentage of the Thai population lives within fairly small boxes, of social convention, traditions and expectations, especially on the part of the family. That is not a life that some of us choose. Those that are bold and courageous, will find a way to break past conventions, and live a fulfilling life, based on their own choices, independence, and esteem.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Agreed.

Smile.....Nod.....Walk Away (while looking over your shoulder.)????????

gotta do the nod....is part of the guy handbook...page 23 paragraph 4...section 238

2 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Agreed.

Smile.....Nod.....Walk Away (while looking over your shoulder.)????????

13 hours ago, ningnong said:

Your comment: "Look at how they live, nothing more than savages" As if how they live had something to do with this attack.

Therefore I assumed you come from a country where you don't live like savages so therefore lack brutal attacks. I was just curious which country that might be.

I come from the US and pretty sure that any brutality in Thailand pales in comparison by a long shot.

But really I'm much more curious as to why you think Thais live like nothing more than savages.

I was initially confused by your post, then i read the part where you mention you're from the US, now i understand why it makes no sense.

On 4/25/2023 at 5:14 AM, spidermike007 said:

I know I look like a man. I smell like a man. But, I am not a man. I stopped developing into an adult, at the age of 13. To compound that, I have absolutely no self esteem. So, even though you were my friend, when you insulted me I had to kill you. I did not have a choice. Oops. There goes my life too. 

Thirteen? I think you pay him a compliment. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It comes down to perhaps the single most significant weakness most Thai people have. The pathological fear of losing face.

This is spot on. I recommend reading "The Way Thais Lead: Face as Social Capital", by Larry Persons (ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-6162151163).

As the publisher writes:

This fascinating study explores how face functions as social capital for leaders in Thai society. It examines the anatomy of Thai face, ways to gain, lose, and maintain face, patron-client dynamics, and the sources and paradigms of power. Ethnographic research gives voice to Thai leaders as they describe face behaviors and the flow of power in their society. The author compellingly reveals an indigenous but little-used pathway to virtuous leadership that empowers both leaders and followers, to the benefit of all.

Written with academic rigor in a popular style, the book presents insights that are crucial to understanding and building strategic relationships in Thai society.

I know the author, and I read his book. He has a much more sympathetic view of face and Thai society than I have. In my view, face is a fatal social disease, that poisons Thai society and stands as the single biggest obstacle to any meaningful change.

Edited by LogicThai
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2023 at 8:24 PM, bignok said:

Lots of people smoke outside hospitals

Well, I just never saw any at Bangkok hospital in Phuket. None.

Not even an ashtray bin outside the entrance doors. None.

But I would think that you might be the exception that... well you already know the rest...

26 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

Well, I just never saw any at Bangkok hospital in Phuket. None.

Not even an ashtray bin outside the entrance doors. None.

But I would think that you might be the exception that... well you already know the rest...

So you visited 1 hospital therefore it doesn't happen. Go visit 10 hospitals. You will see some patients smoking outside.

2 hours ago, bignok said:

So you visited 1 hospital therefore it doesn't happen. Go visit 10 hospitals. You will see some patients smoking outside.

I must agree with you.

Certainly certain hospitals attract certain types of people...

So I stand corrected...

Are you a smoker by the way? And which hospital to you go to?

So I can go check it out....