Incoming tourism growth slows amid visas, airfares and attacks on Chinese nationals which have caused jitters

webfact

14 hours ago, itsari said:

A many years to go before even getting near the west .

Just come back from taking a motorcycle test .  That experience gives me the confidence to say that.

I assume you are stating that it is easy here?  I motorcycle license in the USA is much more time consuming, expensive, and difficult.  probably why it is much saver to be on the roads in the USA.  I came here for the adventure and with that comes with health risks as far as Thailand is concerned.  The pollution has improved IMO and the driving has gotten worse because of the exponential growth in car ownership and lack of infrastructure.  It seems that thousands are sharing a road that can handle a fraction of the drivers.  It is anarchy! 

4 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I assume you are stating that it is easy here?  I motorcycle license in the USA is much more time consuming, expensive, and difficult.  probably why it is much saver to be on the roads in the USA.  I came here for the adventure and with that comes with health risks as far as Thailand is concerned.  The pollution has improved IMO and the driving has gotten worse because of the exponential growth in car ownership and lack of infrastructure.  It seems that thousands are sharing a road that can handle a fraction of the drivers.  It is anarchy! 

We are all forced to be thrill seekers even if we don't want to be .

The roads are adequate, the quality of driving is far from it .

Regarding the motorcycle test it was a joke from start to finnish.  The joke continued when the price for the license was 105 baht . Why the 5 baht ??? The cashier says have you got 5 baht . I have not I answered, rather irritated she hunts for change . I am not surprised she was short of change.

13 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

As ever the figures are a myth, I flew last week with Emirates, the flight was code-sharing with Thai and another.

Guess what....the rear half of the seating was closed off, ie no passengers.

Overpriced flights and they are unable to fill them,  so the Airlines share a flight, suggesting they are busy.

They should get real and start some competitive prices, they forget life etc is harder for all nowadays.

The figures are a myth, based on one person's experience of a single flight, really!!!

Anecdotal evidence does not represent a majority or trend.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arick said:

When are the Chinese airlines going to start flying again? 

They took a big hit but are now ramping up staff etc. The estimate is mid 2024 things will be back to pre covid level.

Internal tourism/flights to places like Hainan is booming.

Thailand being close to China should start to see an impact by September is my guess

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

There is far too much greed and capitalism amongst big business. ie if something negative happens and your average business loses money ie one country invading another, a pandemic, they always pass all the financial losses on to the public, to me that is wrong, they should bear some of the losses themselves. there should be some thought to the people who made them rich in the first place.

Most of the people at the top of any big business are financially secured for life, they should start being fair to the very people who put them in the position that they are in.

I don't see many Tourists being duel priced at the Tower of London or london zoo when they visit, there Entry fee and food bills are the same as a local, and there not insulted or called derogatory names Noshow.

• Confused 1

A typical way of how Thai's see us. A few weeks ago I had to do a Border run while waiting for the Bus to take us over the Lao friendship bridge.  I watched many Thais old and young just pushing people out of the way to get on the bus not queueing like us Europeans. Our bus pulled up as we started to walk to the door my friend who speaks fluent Thai overheard the few Thais behind us say " Look at the Falangs pushing in " My friend turned and said if your that desperate to board the bus go in front of us, the look of embarrassment was amazing.

Edited by BarraMarra

When I hear them fretting over tourist numbers, then what always strikes me is the inherent contradiction, i.e., never have I known a people so convinced of their superiority to outsiders and yet so totally dependent on those same outsiders for cash infusions.

Farcical, really.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Spilornis said:

They took a big hit but are now ramping up staff etc. The estimate is mid 2024 things will be back to pre covid level.

Internal tourism/flights to places like Hainan is booming.

Thailand being close to China should start to see an impact by September is my guess

Just like everybody was saying the end of April now you're saying the end of September

On 4/25/2023 at 4:03 AM, John Drake said:

A one room shack costs half a million dollars in Hawaii. And the traffic is horrible. But at least the air and beaches are clean. And no bums. I think they export them all to San Francisco. So Thailand would be okay, if I just didn't need a gas mask to breathe the air.

I wasn't talking about moving there, I agree both of those are horribly expensive to live.

But if you are going on vacation at least you know everything will work, all the time, there won't be feces

floating in the water, you can drink the water, no pile of random garbage on the side of the road, I could go on.

Essentially you get what you pay for, and for the Chinese it's a cheap airfare and , they get what they pay for.

For Europeans, and especially North Americans, not a cheap airfare so maybe more expensive when you get there but for the reasons I mentioned before maybe an overall better deal to stay closer to home

• Like 1