Agent tells me that Bangkok Bank wants a driver's license from your country + passport.

13 hours ago, Celsius said:

Btw not to hijack a thread, but I have received a notice on my app that starting June you will have to go to a branch and do a full face scan if you want to use online banking for all transactions over 50,000 baht

Needs a thread of it's own. I and many others come here for this kind of 'heads up'

6 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

Years ago I used my Debit Card to bring over 200,000b.  No fees back then. 

Bangkok Bank debited the money from my USA ATM.  

I wanted to deposit the money in a new Bangkok Bank account.  I was told no because i have to get my passport verified at my Embassy to open an account. They handed me 200,000 with just my passport, but now it is not good enough.  

Stupid. 

Bangkok bank still adds no fees when you get a "cash advance", at least from a debit card.  I never tried using a credit card.  The fees are generally added by the card issuer.

I assume you mean Bangkok bank debited the money from your USA account.

I've often taken "cash advances" at Bangkok bank with my Schwab Visa debit card and only my passport.  If I wanted it, they would just hand me the cash.  For me it's much more convenient to deposit it directly to my account with them.

I've opened accounts at three different Thai banks.  I've needed more that just a passport at all of them.  I also needed a certificate of residence for all three and at SCB I also needed a Thai tax ID number.  Bangkok bank checked that I was on an O visa and would be getting an extension based on retirement.  Kasikorn and SCB required that I already have an extension for 12 months.  I'm not American so that probably makes it somewhat easier for them.  I'm not surprised that they wouldn't open an account with just a passport.

19 hours ago, KannikaP said:

And if you do not have one?????

I don't, and haven't since I got my TH DL, never renewed.

I can't understand why people use agents to do the simplest things, and then believe everything they say.  Anything to make using them seem necessary.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I don't, and haven't since I got my TH DL, never renewed.

I can't understand why people use agents to do the simplest things, and then believe everything they say.  Anything to make using them seem necessary.

Bit like folk talking up MG cars, eh...................????

27 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

That's not true. Other banks are acceptable but it will cost more.

nah, i know what banks they usually state, was bangkok bank and Kasikorn, then they dropped Kasikorn. So from your experience, what other banks and how much for what?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Agents......  Pfffffft.... Who needs an agent?

I have gotten 2 different bank accounts, had my Thai driver's license renewed 3 times, done the marriage extension 4 or 5 times, changed it over to retirement, and renewed it many times ........  all without the need of a silly agent!

Wow, we have a high-flyer member..............:intheclub:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Huh?  What sort of code is that written in?

Typo. Should be "how" not "for". As in, Transam won't tell us how he opened a Bangkok Bank account for his mate who was on visa exempt. He won't tell us where either but I think he lives way up in Ubon so that narrows it down a bit. 

As for the 2nd part of my post, that's a gambling term that refers to impossible odds. Surely you've come across it in your travels?

3 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Typo. Should be "how" not "for". As in, Transam won't tell us how he opened a Bangkok Bank account for his mate who was on visa exempt. He won't tell us where either but I think he lives way up in Ubon so that narrows it down a bit. 

As for the 2nd part of my post, that's a gambling term that refers to impossible odds. Surely you've come across it in your travels?

You missed out, there are times "when it's who you know', and it wasn't me...:stoner:

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

nah, i know what banks they usually state, was bangkok bank and Kasikorn, then they dropped Kasikorn. So from your experience, what other banks and how much for what?

For example, an agent I used it was 14,000 if you banked at Kasikorn, 16,000 anywhere else.  Another had an account at Bangkok Bank. and again the cost was 2000 more if you wanted to use another bank.

• Confused 1