Airline Baggage 20kg Max.

undercover

Careful! Some airlines will not accept single, very heavy bags. Not sure what the limit is, but 35kg rings a bell.

Besides, it's unlikely that the airline will lose all of your bags if you have more than one, split your stuff between two bags so you at least each have something when they lose one of them :o

I’ve found it depends on the airport. Some places will only accept a maximum of 25 kilos per bag. Anything over that and they insist you remove items to reduce the weight. I’ve managed to get a 32 kilo bag accepted in Bahrain.

As a side note, if you need extra baggage allowance join their frequent flyer program. You can do it online and instantly become a member. Just quote your membership number when you check your bags in. This will give you an extra 10 kilos per member.

Thanks a lot for your quick answers, Ive just dug out another case ! don't fancy taking a chance, haddent realy thought about the poor guy mooving the case around. Thanks again you might have saved me a lot of hassle !

No problelms about combining the weight allowance - indeed if you check in together they will weigh all your bags together and Emirates are usually Ok if you are even a bit over your allowances.

However, I have seen notices in many airports about individual bags not being over 25 kilos - it's supposed to protect the baggage handlers from injuries - so I would take two bags, if I were you.

I am due to travel with Emirates and the baggage states 20 kilos per person, I am traveling with my wife, is it ok to combine our 20 kilos and put it all in one case providing the big case is not over 40 kilos ?

Generally its 32 kg on Emirates, but 23 kg travelling to USA/Canada Economy class. The Emirates Timetable suggests visiting www.emirates.com for more information on baggage allowances.

Another problem with large and/or heavy bags is that they, at some airports, do not end up on the normal luggage carousel.

You have to pick them up at special counter where they handle large and heavy luggage. This place can be hard to find and you may have to wait there for a while until your bag arrive, also you never know beforehand if it will end up there or in the normal place.

I have been waiting for my golf bag at a few airports and after a long wait being told that it has to be collected at a different counter.

do golf clubs count on your allowance i am a skywards member

Emirates normally will take golf clubs free of charge, as do Thai Airways. I think most airlines will these days - just call and ask to be sure.

the limit is definitely 32 KG per item ! anywhere at any airline nowadays

From Thai Airways International

"The luggage allowance on 'Round The World' type tickets is based on the piece system which consists of 2 pieces of luggage, each weighing a maximum of 23 kgs.

Due to airport regulations, staff are not authorised to lift any item with a weight exceeding 30 kgs."

Your source for this information? Not the current airlines web site I dare say. And I have paid for that bad advise. The airlines set limits on per bag weight. For Alaska Airlines (which charged me four years ago mid trip when they started the new rules) it is 50 pounds. Anything over that and you pay excess weight charge.

Checked Bag Weight Fee per Bag

50 lbs. or less No Fee

51-70 lbs. $25 (USD)

71-100 lbs. $50 (USD)

one has to differentiate between the maximum weight one piece of baggage is allowed to weigh (IATA nor = 32kg) and the maximum weight of baggage an airline allows per class free of charge.

general rule is:

-from anywhere of the United States to any other destination = two pieces of luggage each maximum 32kg. in addition some size limit applies.

other routings (varies from airline to airline):

economy 20kg

business 30 kg

first 40 kg

i have flown Swissair first with 105 kg checked luggage and paid nothing; Lufthansa with 51 kg and paid for 6 kg excess luggage.

Handling a heavy case / bag is as already agreed, not safe from a health situation.

Another important point is that you have to consider the damage you may have with the item if it is overweight and as it will be difficult to handle, it will be more likely to dropped ( accidently ) and it can cause untold damage to the baggage and it,s contents, especially if it is dropped from a higher position.

Some of the transit situations also come into play, conveyor belts ect. where some of the drops from a to b can be pretty steep and in uncontrolled movement.

Far better and more sensible to pack it into 2 pieces.

At my local airport you have to put it onto a seperate belt with a special warning label on it, provided by the airport authorities.

Anything over 25 KG,s is considered unsafe for handling purposes.

Ref. as per health and safety instructions

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

I’ve found it depends on the airport. Some places will only accept a maximum of 25 kilos per bag. Anything over that and they insist you remove items to reduce the weight. I’ve managed to get a 32 kilo bag accepted in Bahrain.

As a side note, if you need extra baggage allowance join their frequent flyer program. You can do it online and instantly become a member. Just quote your membership number when you check your bags in. This will give you an extra 10 kilos per member.

Emirates won't give you extra allowance until you earn it by BEING a frequent flyer, you can't just join the club like other airlines.

Any othe ideas? I'm in the same position as the OP.

Emirates won't give you extra allowance until you earn it by BEING a frequent flyer, you can't just join the club like other airlines.

Any othe ideas? I'm in the same position as the OP.

That'll teach me not to check their site first. :o I’ve recently code shared on the Dubai-Bkk route with a Thai Airways ticket. I got the extra allowance then. I'm not sure what the price difference is.

The Emirates website does say some routes already have additional baggage allowances built into the ticket. You can only hope your route is one of them.

Your source for this information? Not the current airlines web site I dare say. And I have paid for that bad advise. The airlines set limits on per bag weight. For Alaska Airlines (which charged me four years ago mid trip when they started the new rules) it is 50 pounds. Anything over that and you pay excess weight charge.

50 lbs. or less No Fee

51-70 lbs. $25 (USD)

71-100 lbs. $50 (USD)

He stated Emirates, and presumably coming to BKK? Its 32 kg max with their frequent flyer programme ( they are very liberal with their allowances) and I should know I come 4 times per year from the UK. Usually its 20kg with them withpout frequent flyer etc. They will put a special tag on any bag over 20kg saying HEAVY and giving the weight. they will take 32kg no problem I brought 29 kg this time in ONE bag. Being a frequent flyer, this time I got bumped into Business class as the plane was full!! It was struggle but i coped with it!!

one has to differentiate between the maximum weight one piece of baggage is allowed to weigh (IATA nor = 32kg) and the maximum weight of baggage an airline allows per class free of charge.

general rule is:

-from anywhere of the United States to any other destination = two pieces of luggage each maximum 32kg. in addition some size limit applies.

almost ALL airlines in the world have changed the rule to 2 x 23 KG for flights to and from North America. There are only a few left who accept 2 x 32 KG.

And actually no airline will accept a single case weighing more than 32 Kg, even u have - maybe cause u fly First or Business, or are a frequent flyer with them - an allowance of 40 Kg. but then u would have to check in 2 cases or bags to make use of it....

50 lbs. or less No Fee

51-70 lbs. $25 (USD)

71-100 lbs. $50 (USD)

He stated Emirates, and presumably coming to BKK? Its 32 kg max with their frequent flyer programme ( they are very liberal with their allowances) and I should know I come 4 times per year from the UK. Usually its 20kg with them withpout frequent flyer etc. They will put a special tag on any bag over 20kg saying HEAVY and giving the weight. they will take 32kg no problem I brought 29 kg this time in ONE bag. Being a frequent flyer, this time I got bumped into Business class as the plane was full!! It was struggle but i coped with it!!

It says nothing about Emirates. When we include the quote it means we are answering that post.

Flew China airlines BKK-DUBLIN via amsterdam 3 years ago with 44 kgs and they did'nt bat an eyelid.

When I arrived in Dublin my luggage was missing. Two days later a taxi arrived at my home 150 miles away, and two guys came in carrying my case.

They said an extra person had to come in the taxi because the case was too heavy.

Wimps.

Just came from states on EVA 2 bags checked 32 k each, evergreen class.

From BKK to Chiang Mai on Air Asia Ticket 1570 baht, two bags 3000 baht.

Every airline I have flown from the USA to Thailand allows 2 - 32 Kg checked bags. (China Airlines, EVA, American Airlines, Northwest, All Nippon) The domestic carriers are a different story. Air Asia allows 15Kg, One To Go allows 20Kg. Air Asia charges more per extra Kg than does One To Go. You can check every airlines baggage rules on their wesites.

Edited by Jimi007

50 lbs. or less No Fee

51-70 lbs. $25 (USD)

71-100 lbs. $50 (USD)

I like to try and stick to the original post rather than meander too much and end up with a million postings like this. I should have said OP but I cant stand using the words Op as I dont like the sms type shortcuts used in the world today.

It says nothing about Emirates. When we include the quote it means we are answering that post.