Visa Requirements for a retiree wishing to live in Thailand

I have a British friend who lives in UK and wishes to retire in Thailand. What visa should he apply for, and is there a better consulate at which to apply, (from the perspective of user friendly)? He lives in the Midlands. The website suggests Non-Immigrant O when I specify the Retirement as the purpose, but then the qualification does not seem to refer to "Retirement", so does that come into force after one applies for an Extension? 

Royal Thai Consulate
  • Royal Thai Consulate in HULL, England. ...
  • Royal Thai Consulate in LIVERPOOL, England. ...
  • Royal Thai Consulate in GLASGOW, Scotland. ...
  • Royal Thai Consulate in CARDIFF, Wales. ...
  • Royal Thai Consulate in GIBRALTAR (Overseas Territory, Near Spain) ...
  • Royal Thai Consulate in DUBLIN, Ireland.

My own experience was very different 20 years ago, so undoubtedly things have changed in the interim.

Check this link.. visa type - non immigrant ...requirements section 1, last paragraph.

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/publicservice/5d5bcc2615e39c306000a316

Any embassy would do...

Get proof of funds and apply from uk, or come in visa on arrival, stick 800k baht in thai bank for 2 months before applying from here. This option is easier...med certificate etc much easier.

20 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

or perhaps better to come in on a tourist visa, convert to non-O and then extend, gives him more time to sort out bank account, etc.

Agreed - Or just enter Visa Exempt, extend for 30 days - That gives him 60 days to get his Bank account & finances in order - Apply for the 90 days Non-0 in Thailand, then subsequent 12 month extension.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedArmy said:

Agreed - Or just enter Visa Exempt, extend for 30 days - That gives him 60 days to get his Bank account & finances in order - Apply for the 90 days Non-0 in Thailand, then subsequent 12 month extension.

.....I was hoping to avoid the next question...."does he need an onward ticket or not......"

4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

.....I was hoping to avoid the next question...."does he need an onward ticket or not......"

May be required by airline at departure if flying visa exempt.

A "rent a ticket" will cover it. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1