TAT Expects 25 Million Visitors in 2023

webfact

fe097ce3f1c3b333c906669225854057_small.jpg

by Krajangwit Johjit

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) expects at least 8 million foreign tourists to visit Thailand in the first four months of this year and is confident that the country will meet its target of welcoming 25 million visitors in 2023.

TAT Deputy Governor for Asia and the South Pacific Tanes Petsuwan said that the agency expects at least 8 million foreign arrivals between January and April this year, with tourists from Asia and the South Pacific accounting for more than 62% of these visitors. TAT forecasts that 3.5 million to 4 million Malaysian tourists will visit Thailand this year, with visits from India and South Korea set to surpass 1 million visitors.

TAT also anticipated at least 5 million Chinese tourists to visit the country in 2023. The estimation is based on the upward trend of about 10,000 Chinese tourist arrivals per day, which is expected to increase to 20,000 tourists per day in the second half of the year.

Meanwhile, the hotel industry is optimistic about the tourism sector, citing a strong average room occupancy rate of 80%, despite a twofold increase in room rates before the pandemic. The Thai Hotels Association (THA) said that the recovery of the tourism sector has also allowed certain hotels to raise their room prices as hotels gain confidence in the increasing number of foreign travelers.

TAT Governor Yuthasak Supasorn has also advised tourism business operators to refrain from price wars and urged them to capitalize on the spending power of foreign tourists who were unable to travel due to the Covid-19 lockdown and restrictions.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230427123559648

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-04-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) expects at least 8 million foreign tourists to visit Thailand in the first four months of this year and is confident that the country will meet its target of welcoming 25 million visitors in 2023.

With all of the reported information over the last several days of declining tourism, high flight costs, etcetera, I find the numbers they are predicting to be a wish and a hope, but then maybe the new start-up airlines will ferry millions into the country.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So the TAT Governor has spoken to the Fortune teller and has a  " Welcome " to tourist's into the kingdom. A Tourists are not welcome into the kingdom and B there not made to feel welcome into the kingdom, and C If they are welcomed there hard-earned money will be scammed out of them As soon as they have left the Airport Exit.

I wonder if anyone has suggested to the empty heads at TAT that maybe instead of questionable forecasts just do a quarterly report.....without dodgying the numbers. Oh dear!  Yep. I'm wrong. Need the propaganda.

Edited by dinsdale

7 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I wonder if anyone has suggested to the empty heads at TAT that maybe instead of questionable forecasts just do a quarterly report.....without dodgying the numbers. Oh dear!  Yep. I'm wrong. Need the propaganda.

I don't understand your problem, maybe math is not your strength but 2 million a month times 12 months should pretty much make the forecast a reality, don't you think!

"The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) expects at least 8 million foreign tourists to visit Thailand in the first four months of this year and is confident that the country will meet its target of welcoming 25 million visitors in 2023".

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/tourist-arrivals

1083889447_Screenshot(114).png.6187b6e202d0be4c6140dfea2e51ea2c.png

Edited by nigelforbes
  • Like 2

Just now, dinsdale said:

You're right my maths isn't my strong point. Seems like a particlar govt dept. also has problems with numbers with each and every one of their forecasts. Hot air from otherwise empty heads.

Perhaps, but they're ahead of a particular target for the past three months so maybe not after all.

https://www.thesaurus.com/e/grammar/math-vs-maths/#:~:text=The only difference between math,and other English-speaking places.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nigelforbes said:

Perhaps, but they're ahead of a particular target for the past three months so maybe not after all.

https://www.thesaurus.com/e/grammar/math-vs-maths/#:~:text=The only difference between math,and other English-speaking places.

It would be nice to go back to their projections and see the actual numbers. Probably a bit difficult because they seem to come out with different numbers several times a week.

As for mathematics as I remember it was changed to math in the US sometime in the early 1800's. Mathematics. English: Mathematics/Maths. American English: Mathematics/Math.

2 hours ago, ozz1 said:

Another fantastic prediction from tat how about 100 million they can say whatever they want no one ever challenges them

People who have a voice do publish their own prediction but forum members don't have any voice. Their only voice is this forum. How long it will take to realize this? 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

It would be nice to go back to their projections and see the actual numbers. Probably a bit difficult because they seem to come out with different numbers several times a week.

In January, they predicted 30 million for 2023. You can always google and find out. My prediction is 20-30 million. So average is 25 mil. Not bad estimate. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

As for mathematics as I remember it was changed to math in the US sometime in the early 1800's. Mathematics. English: Mathematics/Maths. American English: Mathematics/Math.

I'm pretty certain you'll find that TAT doesn't change their forecasts several times a week, what does happen however is that elements of their forecasts are partially repeated/quoted by media and others and often they are misquoted or are quoted out of context. And every time anyone in the press is quoted as having said this or that with regard to tourist numbers, it is nearly always assumed by posters that TAT has changed their numbers yet again. To be honest, posters need to grow up just a tad and shed their pavlovian responses, every time TAT and tourist numbers are mentioned, it makes many appear like dullards who don't understand simple things. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

In January, they predicted 30 million for 2023. You can always google and find out. My prediction is 20-30 million. So average is 25 mil. Not bad estimate. 

Incorrect! The PM said he was confident that tourist arrivals will exceed 30 million in 2023, TAT didn't forecast that, the PM is just alleged to have said it.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/thailand-prime-minister-foreign-tourists-30-million-2023-3259781#:~:text=Thai PM confident foreign tourist numbers will exceed 30 million in 2023,-Vietnamese tourists dressed&text=BANGKOK%3A Thailand's prime minister is,on Tuesday (Feb 7).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

In January, they predicted 30 million for 2023. You can always google and find out. 

So down 5 million in 3 months. Maybe tomorrow up 2 mil. Nxt wk who knows. Fairly sure they said Songkran was mostly domestic tourists after Songkran. What was the TAT projection/projections before Songran? It just goes on ond on and most people tend not to believe the TAT projections. I guess some others do.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

So down 5 million in 3 months. Maybe tomorrow up 2 mil. Nxt wk who knows. Fairly sure they said Songkran was mostly domestic tourists after Songkran. What was the TAT projection/projections before Songran? It just goes on ond on and most people tend not to believe the TAT projections. I guess some others do.

Show me a link/quote where TAT forecast 30 million.

And before anyone goes there, a target is not a forecast.

Edited by nigelforbes
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm pretty certain you'll find that TAT doesn't change their forecasts several times a week, what does happen however is that elements of their forecasts are partially repeated/quoted by media and others and often they are misquoted or are quoted out of context. And every time anyone in the press is quoted as having said this or that with regard to tourist numbers, it is nearly always assumed by posters that TAT has changed their numbers yet again. To be honest, posters need to grow up just a tad and shed their pavlovian responses, every time TAT and tourist numbers are mentioned, it makes many appear like dullards who don't understand simple things. 

The articles on here from TAT is information reported to the media to be shared with the public. That's how it works. Thing is they tend to release lots of information and predictions. Not sure and cant be bothered looking back but at least 3 articles this week and the week is not finished. As for saying some people on here 'need to grow up" and saying some people are "dullards who don't understand simple things." I think is a bit rude. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

In January, they only have data for the prior years and announced their target for 30 mil and after four months of data, their prediction changed. It will change as more data rolls in after few months. 

21 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Show me a link/quote where TAT forecast 30 million.

And before anyone goes there, a target is not a forecast.

Think you've made a mistake quoting me. I didn't quote 30 million. 

Here's my post and your response.

image.png.bb9ee58026076deac550c91e0c9828cf.png

Feel free to remove this post.

Edited by dinsdale

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

The articles on here from TAT is information reported to the media to be shared with the public. That's how it works. Thing is they tend to release lots of information and predictions. Not sure and cant be bothered looking back but at least 3 articles this week and the week is not finished. As for saying some people on here 'need to grow up" and saying some people are "dullards who don't understand simple things." I think is a bit rude. 

I think that if you are going to state publicly that tourism has fallen 5 million in 3 months, you should be prepared to support your claim, if you can't you shouldn't post disinformation or incorrect information.

• Like 1

Just now, CartagenaWarlock said:

You're correct it was a target but must be based on some sort of prediction, right?

Predictive modelling and forecasting are both an art and a science that use historic and current data to forecast forward. Targets are constructed and derived very differently and don't rely on historic data. Targets can be political or motivational and are intended to provide direction rather than a calculated estimate of the arrival point. 

4 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I think that if you are going to state publicly that tourism has fallen 5 million in 3 months, you should be prepared to support your claim, if you can't you shouldn't post disinformation or incorrect information.

No where did I say tourism has fallen 5 million in 3 months. If you can show me where please do. This is pure misrepresentation. I was commenting upon a previous post that said estimates in January was 30 million and today they're saying 25 million. It's not difficult if you take the time to read.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

No where did I say tourism has fallen 5 million in 3 months. If you can show me where please do. This is pure misrepresentation. I was commenting upon a previous post that said estimates in January was 30 million and today they're saying 25 million. It's not difficult if you take the time to read.

"So down 5 million in 3 months".

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

and I expect to go to the moon in 2024..... it's almost half way thru 2023 and they expect 23 million for the all year, wonder how many millions they accounted for so far, because from now on rainy season numbers will decrease drastically. Also they shouldn't include people on transit and/or immigrants/laborers (Myanmar/Burma, Cambodia, Laos) Malaysia should only be counted one time as many of them come back (to the Southern areas) on a regular basis to visit friends and family thus not really tourists

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, juliacarter said:

If this refers to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), it means that they are projecting that Thailand will receive around 25 million visitors in the year 2023. This is a significant increase from the number of visitors the country received in 2020, which was heavily impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting travel restrictions and lockdowns. The projection by TAT suggests that the tourism industry in Thailand is expected to recover and see a significant increase in visitors in the coming years.

However, it's important to note that these are just projections and may be subject to change based on various factors such as the global economy, geopolitical issues, natural disasters, and pandemics.

Thailand is a popular tourist destination known for its beautiful beaches, rich cultural heritage, and vibrant nightlife. The tourism industry is a major contributor to the country's economy, and the government and private sector have been taking steps to promote and develop tourism infrastructure and services in the country.

"Thailand is a popular tourist destination known for its beautiful beaches, rich cultural heritage, and vibrant nightlife."

You are quoting a tourism brochure?

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

and I expect to go to the moon in 2024..... it's almost half way thru 2023 and they expect 23 million for the all year, wonder how many millions they accounted for so far, because from now on rainy season numbers will decrease drastically. Also they shouldn't include people on transit and/or immigrants/laborers (Myanmar/Burma, Cambodia, Laos) Malaysia should only be counted one time as many of them come back (to the Southern areas) on a regular basis to visit friends and family thus not really tourists

If you look at the graph further up the page, you'll see the first quarter averaged about 22 million per month. Low season months will see a drop, presumably, but high season months will see an increase......25 million seems like a pretty sound forecast to me at this stage.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1