Operators Voice Concerns over New Visa Rules for Chinese Tourists

snoop1130

The Chinese I work with are well able to get their own visa and book flights & hotels.

They have no problem.

This will limit the "tour groups" that are 100% managed by the tour operator, not leaving much $$$ in Thailand.

Good news I think

5 hours ago, mancub said:

Is rudeness even a concept for them. I wonder ?

It's a good question. When you live in a popular tourist place like Pattaya, your concept of normal behaviour will definitely take a hit. Wherever you go, you'll find people who don't give a sh*t about Western behavioural norms. You definitely need to pactice tolerance. If people try to push in at queues, you need to be active and stand your ground.

You've got a mix of Chinese, Indian, Russian and Middle Eastern tourists, to name a few. That can make for an interesting experience for people who think everyone should behave the same in public.

20 hours ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

When I went to Penang, Immigration officers were singling out ONLY Chinese for their passports to be checked before going into the waiting room to hand in visa application.......and being extremely strict on them

"Why have you got overstay etc" shouting at them, being rude. It came across they REALLY didn't want Chinese getting a Visa

--If the Chinese citizen didn't have evidence of a valid flight back they told them to come back tomorrow (After everyone had que for over 1 hours already in the hot Penang Sun)

----Chinese tourists I find are extremely rude, always jump ques? Who taught them to do this silly nonsense.

How do chinese people react when other chinese people cut in front of them I wonder in China...mmmm.

Malay's hate the Chinese as well as Vietnam. Malaysia has some very strict rules regarding Chinese people. Don't think that just because the Chinese are the neighbors here they are liked. 

Thailand is just a catch all for all willing to spend a buck. 

Edited by Gknrd
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2023 at 6:00 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

I read recently (in the online edition of a newspaper, named after Thailand's capital) that the fee will definitely be introduced in September, possibly using both, online collection, and airport counters.

Expect crashing websites and long queues at fee-collection counters...

Happy Thailand travel!

The airlines have already said they can't do it the way Thailand laid it out as there is no easy automated way to differentiate between the various classes or categories that would be exempt 

Excellent move clearly targeted at the low budget tour group end of the market whose overall benefit to Thai tourism is questionable. 

Before anyone gets too excited about a future decline in Chinese tourism numbers :

Jan 2023 - 91,841

Feb 2023 - 155,656

Mar 2023 - 269,773

Enjoy it while it lasts.

4 hours ago, Dan O said:

The airlines have already said they can't do it the way Thailand laid it out as there is no easy automated way to differentiate between the various classes or categories that would be exempt 

True, and I doubt that the other two ways suggested (online, counters) are much better solutions.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Even the Hong Kong Chinese hate the tourists from the mainland because of their rudeness, arrogance, spitting, etc.

And on the mainland they are self-aware how badly they behave abroad. Not that they cared... 

That's very true a few years back I used to go to Hong Kong regularly and they don't welcome those from mainland China, come to think of it, I don't think anyone actually likes them do they?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Deserted said:

That's very true a few years back I used to go to Hong Kong regularly and they don't welcome those from mainland China, come to think of it, I don't think anyone actually likes them do they?

TAT love them!

On 4/29/2023 at 5:57 AM, sidneybear said:

Thailand welcomes tourists who spend a bit of dosh onshore. There's nothing wrong with that. 

With the exception of the Western mindset that have been conditioned/indoctrinated to find everything China/Chinese despicable and boogieman extended. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

With the exception of the Western mindset that have been conditioned/indoctrinated to find everything China/Chinese despicable and boogieman extended. 

We're supposed to think what the corporate media tells us to think. Groupthink is the order of the day. 

• Like 1