non-O visa through agents

5 minutes ago, thailandsgreat said:

Isn't Soi Buakhao littered with visa agents? I have also seen agents on Thepprasit (down from Sukkhumvit between BigC South and Tesco Lotus South) But if they are any good, I don't know.

A few folk have mentioned Maneerat and I posted a thread link specifically about agents in Pattaya. 

Just one person's suggestion...

Don't need to shop around for lowest price.

The non O and extension without you providing your own  money in bank is approx 25-30k .

You haven't mentioned your longer term plans.

Meaning retirement in Thailand ongoing or just obtaining a stamp for next 15 months. 

If it's the later then just use an agent and leave your dosh in own country.

Keep TM47 out of it for now. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Pretty sure you're quoting the price for renewing the 12 month extension. Maneerat just quoted me 26,000 for non-imm O and 12 month extension (and that is with 800k in bank)

Thanks for pointing that out and yeah brain fade. The B12,500 is for renewal.

Last time I checked was in late January and the price for 15 months (O visa+extension) was B26k including a single re-entry permit.

I expected you'd get a discount for having the funds in the bank so I'm a bit upset to hear otherwise. Did you ask why? ????

3 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

My "big" problem is that I like to stay in hotels and move around Thailand. No hotel has been willing to issue the documentation necessary. (water and electricity bill and some "book" documenting my permanent address ...) Therefore I have used agents. If there is a way to get around this large sum to the agents, please advise.

If you apply in Bangkok, Chaengwattana immigration will accept the argument that you are staying in hotels while looking for a permanent place to live. There is no need for a long term rental agreement (though a friendly hotel manager will often give you that if you ask nicely).

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you apply in Bangkok, Chaengwattana immigration will accept the argument that you are staying in hotels while looking for a permanent place to live. There is no need for a long term rental agreement (though a friendly hotel manager will often give you that if you ask nicely).

Thanks. Sounds very good. Just stay in a hotel and walk in there with only a visa waiver and do the process. I guess it will take at least a few weeks to get the 3 month extension and add the 12 months before heading outside Bangkok? And then just do 3 month reports on-line, from anywhere in Thailand.

Edited by thailandsgreat

3 minutes ago, thailandsgreat said:

Thanks. Sounds very good. Just stay in a hotel and walk in there with only a visa waiver and do the process. I guess it will take at least a few weeks to get the 3 month extension and add the 12 months before heading outside Bangkok? And then just do 3 month reports on-line, from anywhere in Thailand.

Yes, 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account, with proof the funds originated abroad, on the day you apply for the Non O visa (with at least 15 days left on your permission to stay). Should be fine.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Yes, 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account, with proof the funds originated abroad, on the day you apply for the Non O visa (with at least 15 days left on your permission to stay). Should be fine.

And the first 3-month extension must be made at Chaengwattana immigration but the following I can make on-line from anywhere in Thailand? Can I then just put down the hotel address in northern Thailand where I will be staying for the moment, into the TM47?

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

90 day report can be done online from anywhere in Thailand.

Also from anywhere using mail option.

In the other part of your post you mention difficult immigration office for extension.

A TM30 is most often required to obtain an 30 day extension for visa exempt and tourist visa. 

Can online reporting also be done in Chiang Mai?

If I remember correctly this might not be possible?

1 minute ago, thailandsgreat said:

And the first 3-month extension must be made at Chaengwattana immigration but the following I can make on-line from anywhere in Thailand? Can I then just put down the hotel address in northern Thailand where I will be staying for the moment, into the TM47?

You will need to be physically present in Bangkok for (i) the Non O visa application; (ii) receiving the (used) visa stamp and 90-day permission to stay after the under consideration period about 30 days later; and (iii) when you apply for the 12-month extension of permission to stay (best done about 30 days before the expiry of the initial 90 days).

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You will need to be physically present in Bangkok for (i) the Non O visa application; (ii) receiving the (used) visa stamp and 90-day permission to stay after the under consideration period about 30 days later; and (iii) when you apply for the 12-month extension of permission to stay (best done about 30 days before the expiry of the initial 90 days).

I see. Since there can easily be a little more than 30 days from arrival to getting the 90 day premission, I will probably also have to extend my visa waiver. So as an example I would have to be present in Bangkok:

day 1: arrival

day 3: transferring funds from Sweden to my Thai account

day 4: applying non-O in Chaengwattana immigration

day 4: immediately extending visa waiver from 30 to 60 days  in Chaengwattana immigration

day 35: stamping the visa waiver void   in Chaengwattana immigration, getting 90 days of stay

day 90: applying for one year extension

day 100?: picking up my passport for the one year extension

But after that I can just go north or anywhere and do my first and subsequent TM47 on line, just filling out the addresses of the hotels I stay in?

It requires presence in Bangkok but a very good deal. Thanks, I appreciate.

Edited by thailandsgreat

6 minutes ago, thailandsgreat said:

applying non-O in Chaengwattana immigration

day 4: immediately extending visa waiver from 30 to 60 days  in Chaengwattana immigration

Your non O is issued on day of application. 

That gives a 90 day stamp.

Permission of stay.

No need to apply for 30 day extension. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your non O is issued on day of application. 

That gives a 90 day stamp.

Permission of stay.

No need to apply for 30 day extension. 

OK, I may have misread the earlier post. I got the impression there was a "consideration period" of one month before the stamped my visa waiver void and gave me the 90 days, but that is a detail.

Edited by thailandsgreat

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

A few folk have mentioned Maneerat and I posted a thread link specifically about agents in Pattaya. 

Just one person's suggestion...

Don't need to shop around for lowest price.

The non O and extension without you providing your own  money in bank is approx 25-30k .

You haven't mentioned your longer term plans.

Meaning retirement in Thailand ongoing or just obtaining a stamp for next 15 months. 

If it's the later then just use an agent and leave your dosh in own country.

Keep TM47 out of it for now. 

I appreciate all suggestions, thanks. Probably better to do in a bigger place. I once asked in LaemNgob and the procedure seemed to be a little out of the ordinary. I had an offer for non-O but as soon as I hesitated the least they seemed very reluctant. (Surrealistic area, I am still not sure if some people had different skin color or if there was a festival?) Prices probably regulated around 25k.

I am just getting older and Thailand is way more pleasant than Sweden. I was staying in Thailand when Covid hit and I just got the impression that the country was "cleaning out" the foreigners and hotel staying farangs were not really popular with anyone at that moment, so I left for a while. Now I will just see if I can find a place and girl to stay. Hopefully the trips back to my country will be fewer. Even before Covid it took years between them. But we must keep a small apartment back home or all social security may be lost. If something happens there I may have to go back temporarily and take care of it. 

Edited by thailandsgreat

11 minutes ago, thailandsgreat said:

I appreciate all suggestions, thanks. Probably better to do in a bigger place. I once asked in LaemNgob and the procedure seemed to be a little out of the ordinary. I had an offer but as soon as I hesitated the least they seemed very reluctant. (Surrealistic area, I am still not sure if some people had different skin color or if there was a festival?) Prices probably regulated around 25k.

I am just getting older and Thailand is way more pleasant than Sweden. I was staying in Thailand when Covid hit and I just got the impression that the country was "cleaning out" the foreigners and hotel staying farangs were not really popular with anyone at that moment, so I left for a while. Now I will just see if I can find a place and girl to stay. Hopefully the trips back to my country will be fewer. Even before Covid it took years between them. But we must keep a small apartment back home or all social security may be lost. If something happens there I may have to go back temporarily and take care of it. 

Again just one person's opinion..

Given that at this stage it's not about permanent ongoing living in Thailand I would suggest the agent route.

If in the future you live permanently in Thailand you can obtain a new non O and extension and do it without agent. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thailandsgreat said:

I see. Since there can easily be a little more than 30 days from arrival to getting the 90 day premission, I will probably also have to extend my visa waiver. So as an example I would have to be present in Bangkok:

day 1: arrival

day 3: transferring funds from Sweden to my Thai account

day 4: applying non-O in Chaengwattana immigration

day 4: immediately extending visa waiver from 30 to 60 days  in Chaengwattana immigration

day 35: stamping the visa waiver void   in Chaengwattana immigration, getting 90 days of stay

day 90: applying for one year extension

day 100?: picking up my passport for the one year extension

But after that I can just go north or anywhere and do my first and subsequent TM47 on line, just filling out the addresses of the hotels I stay in?

It requires presence in Bangkok but a very good deal. Thanks, I appreciate.

There is no need to extend your original permission to stay (assuming you apply for your Non O visa when you still have at least 15 days left on your initial permission to stay. You are allowed to stay in Thailand during the under consideration period even if your initial permission to stay has expired.

Your plan should involve:

• Transfer money and apply for the Non O visa (as soon as possible)
  • (optionally travel around for a while)
  • Return to Bangkok about four weeks later, or whenever the under consideration period is scheduled to end, to get the (immediately used) Non O visa and new 90-day permission to stay.
  • (optionally travel around for a while)
  • Return to Bangkok around 30 days before expiry of the 90-day permission to stay to apply for the 12-month extension of stay.

You will then be free to go where you like.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Since some agencies have been mentioned in the thread, I can also mention the one I have used a couple of times with good result: Visa2Britain in Jomtien. Prices still seem to be about the same from what I understand.

Edited by thailandsgreat

• 1 month later...

Surprisingly the agent I had used twice before asked 60K for the usual 15 mo. I always had good relations with them, including social media. Their explanations for the price raise did  not really fit with how I remembered the previous arrangements.

At the same time a line of people waiting to extend their retirement visa had formed. It was so long that it almost ended in the bowl of guidiao gai I was eating in the restaurant beside! ???? They seem to have been directed to a room immediately right when entering immigration area in Jomtien, not inside the BOI office.

In the process I also learnt that my bank accounts had fallen asleep due to low balance. Somehow they had been charged 50b every month for sleeping. I did not argue because I was happy the accounts could be woken up again, a process taking quite some time. Having a bank account gave me the opportunity to choose a phone number that is a little easier to remember, at True.

They also told me that my bank accounts were connected to an old passport. Let's hope they will let me switch that even though I don't carry the old passport any more. That can only be done at issuing branch. It was possible to deposit to cure the sleepiness, though.

Spoke to Maneerat today and they quoted the same price as given in this thread. So with a bit of luck I continue non-O with them next week.

So thank you for the advice about Maneerat. It seems to be the best way at present.

Edited by thailandsgreat

Made an application via Maneerat today. Price as quoted in this thread. They gave a professional impression. Will be without my passport for one month during processing.

Got two new pass books at the bank since the passport number is visible in fluorescent light and I've got a new passport. It cost 200b. Seems well worth it, considering how many forms the friendly clerk had to fill out ????

On 4/29/2023 at 11:07 AM, Red Phoenix said:

It is clear that you are referring to a 'fixer' Agent, which - by using his connections in an Imm Office, often an up-country one - can get hold of a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement and subsequent 1-year extension WITHOUT you having to semi-permanently park +800.000 THB on a personal Thai bank-account to meet the financial requirement for such Visa and extensions. 

Obviously there is a risk when doing this, as the Visa and subsequent permission to stay have then been acquired in a non-legal way and are actually invalid.  When Immigration would ask you to show your Bank Pass-book as proof of having kept the required funds there, you would not be able to do so.  But if you have no interactions with Immigration and the Agent takes care of everything, the risk is indeed very small of you getting in trouble.

Note: Be aware that if you dread the Thai immigration bureaucracy and pettiness, that there is also the possibility of engaging an Agent for a 'hand-holding' service.  The Agent can help you with parts or the full process of application, and can do everything on your behalf, but when you deposit the required funds on your personal Thai bank-account, you would then be fully compliant with Immigration rules.  And normally such hand-holding service should be considerably cheaper, as there would be no 'brown envelopes under the table' involved for the local Imm Officer to have him/her overlook that you do not meet the financial requirements.  

Gday

Why would it be illegal to obtain

the 12 months extension based on retirement w/o 800 k in the Bank, using an agent? For it is up soly to the immigration officer to decide upon the applicant's status .

Wbr

Roobaa 01

Edited by roobaa01

1 hour ago, roobaa01 said:

Gday

the 12 months extension based on retirement w/o 800 k in the Bank, using an agent? For it is up soly to the immigration officer to decide upon the applicant's status .

Wbr

Roobaa 01

Because Maneerat obtain a letter from Bangkok Bank saying 800k baht funds have been in bank for 3 months, even though there are no funds. That is what is fraud and illegal

1 hour ago, roobaa01 said:

Gday

Wbr

Roobaa 01

When using a 'fixer' Agent to get hold of the 1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, without having the required fund on your personal Thai bank-account, this means that the 1-year extension stamp the Agent manages to get for you, has been acquired by bribing the Imm Officer to overlook that you did not meet the financial requirements. 

So although the 1-year extension stamp in your passport is genuine, the way it has been acquired was illegal. 

It is actually quite easy for Immigration to determine whether you met and are still meeting the financial requirements by simply asking to show them your personal Thai bank-book with the required funds (which you would not be able to do).  

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Like 1

I don't know the theory of this. But for a while there was 800k in the pass book. Does BKK Bank really send a letter about 3 mo, or is the officer allowed to shorten the required time the balance must be present?

Anyway I don't care so much. The law is how it is applied. I am mostly grateful to the guys here that directed me to this agency and I am back in the Kingdom we love.

I lived in China long time. Every year I flew to Shenzhen and walked over the border to Hong Kong. I had a deck of business cards to different agents and paid the equivalent of $150-180 for another year's stay. All this was cancelled before the olympics.

Edited by thailandsgreat