Honda Wave, Yamaha Finn, gearbox and riding

On 5/1/2023 at 9:39 PM, driver52 said:

interesting thanks but I think the Yammy Exciter 155 looks looks like a much better bike and is cheaper too

Also have a look at the Suzuki Raider Crossover, also a 150cc with regular manual trans.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

What exactly is a moped? When I was a kid, my dad had what is called a moped. It is an ordinary bike with a very small engine at the back of the seat.

I don't think they even exist any more, is a moped another name for a Wave? If not then I am stumped.

Wave are also known as non-ped 2 wheel motorbikes. 

22 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

What exactly is a moped?

In 1977, the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic considers the moped any two-wheeled or three-wheeled vehicle which is fitted with an internal combustion engine having a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cc.[9]

As is their won't the term moped is often use as a derogatory term in the US for a motorcycle beneath their status.

Edited by VocalNeal

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Wave are also known as non-ped 2 wheel motorbikes. 

Yes but not mopeds. A previous poster has already explained what a moped is/was, and I think he was spot on.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, driver52 said:

hey check out this beauty, 19.7hp that is, @Kwasaki looks like a good tourer eh? I've seen a 2 year old one for just over 500 quid!! Tour on! ????

https://www.sym.mforce.my/product/VF3i185Pro/

Looks OK go for it if you like, these sort of motorbikes are are pretty straight forward and reliable and cheap to run and service. 

I use a 30 year old Wave 125 bike around the village and a 17 year old Airblade scooter.

For bike trips my 900 blade. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Yes but not mopeds. A previous poster has already explained what a moped is/was, and I think he was spot on.

Yes bikes like the Wave of today say derived from mopeds.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

In 1977, the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic considers the moped any two-wheeled or three-wheeled vehicle which is fitted with an internal combustion engine having a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cc.[9]

As is their won't the term moped is often use as a derogatory term in the US for a motorcycle beneath their status.

Yes, I understand that now, but I think many posters are referring to a Wave or similar as a moped when a moped is not over 50cc.

Is there actually anything in Thailand with an engine not over 50cc? I don't think so.

14 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Should be good. Where is your nearest dealer?

Malaysia!! Another development lol contacted a guy on facebook who directed me to a telegram group, it appears a guy on there sells 'repossessed bikes'

sooooo I'm now looking at a 2021 Yammy Y16ZR which has a 5.4 litre tank and like 17.7hp for 3000 Ringgits, that's only £535 at todays rate......no brainer!! ????

so the only question is, how do I tour Thailand on a Malay registered bike and who's best for cheapest insurance over here?

thanks for listening fellow riders ????

another thing about the Y16ZR, 6 speed box, assist and slipper clutch (whatever that is ????)

256km range and the 155 VVA liquid cooled engine.......the EU nutters would probs want about five grand for that eh.....

downside: no ABS........

amazing ????

y16zr_3.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Yes bikes like the Wave of today say derived from mopeds.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Well,  you get to tour Thailand for $545. Let us know how it goes.

the 535 was the Great British Pound sir, should be renamed some other rubbish nowadays ????

USD that's about 674 but still great VFM methinks......

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Well OK GBP or dollars. Sorry my keyboard doesn't have that symbol. Just buy it and carry on. You are obviously cleverer than me.

didn't say I was cleverer than you sir, I just understand exchange rates ???? try the ALT+GR key.......you can get yuros and yen if you try hard enough ????

€€€€€€€   ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥