Honda Wave, Yamaha Finn, gearbox and riding

what's this weird 'semi-manual' gearbox these things have? It appears they have a 2-way foot shifter but no clutch

looking to buy a motorbike, was thinking moped but I think I'd rather have something with 17" wheels for better 'cruising speed'?

probably should get a proper bike with a clutch but I haven't rode a bike for donkies years and I'm worried I might have forgotten how to change gears......and yeah more tricky in heavy traffic

cheers

Edited by driver52

2 minutes ago, papa al said:

Wave/Finn has 17" wheels.

Honda CB150 for manual clutch.

sure........any experience of stuff like Cfmoto 200, Benelli Leoncino or other 'small cc' stuff?

they look good value second hand......

wonder if I can get a 'test ride' on a Wave 125i to see how it feels?

36 minutes ago, driver52 said:

I haven't rode a bike for donkies years and I'm worried I might have forgotten how to change gears......and yeah more tricky in heavy traffic

Really?

Just in case you forgot how to use a clutch, within 5 minutes you should be able to learn it again.

And then is just happens automatic, muscle memory. 

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, driver52 said:

was thinking moped but I think I'd rather have something with 17" wheels for better 'cruising speed'?

Where do you live and what do you want to use it for?

Do you need to get through bad traffic in the middle of Bangkok?

Don't buy a bike only because you like the bike. Think about if it makes sense for what you want to use it for.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Don't buy a bike only because you like the bike. Think about if it makes sense for what you want to use it for.

i'm in Pattaya at the moment but I want to get out and tour Thailand a bit and it's proving a bit hot and sweaty on my pushbike lol

what gives with buying something with 'no book' like this thing? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2269715353212063/

looks alright that Finn thing, this geezer is doing 120kmh lol

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, driver52 said:

this geezer is doing 120kmh lol

Yeah, lol, until the moment you have to brake. Then not so lol anymore.

If you want to ride on a road where everybody drives "fast" then get a decent bike with decent handling and brakes.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTm0ShQY_6TinV1XfJcX8Z

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you want to ride on a road where everybody drives "fast" then get a decent bike with decent handling and brakes.

i only weigh 65kilos or maybe less, don't think I need twin discs and brembos ????

1 hour ago, driver52 said:

I'm worried I might have forgotten how to change gears......and yeah more tricky in heavy traffic

34 minutes ago, driver52 said:

i'm in Pattaya at the moment but I want to get out and tour Thailand a bit

Have a look at Honda Zoomer. Will cruise at 80-85 kph, is easy in traffic

a breeze to park and resembles a proper motorbike.  Bonus? You can squeeze/transport a box of wine on the floor. Add the optional under seat plastic box and the storage is good.

spacer.png 

If you are going to do more touring than Pattaya then a Honda CT125

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

If you are going to do more touring than Pattaya then a Honda CT125

interesting thanks but I think the Yammy Exciter 155 looks looks like a much better bike and is cheaper too

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, driver52 said:

interesting thanks but I think the Yammy Exciter 155 looks looks like a much better bike and is cheaper too

I have a friend with one. He likes it. But you'll have to get used to changing gears again. He trundles along at an indicated 90 kph.

For in and around Pattaya I'm still going with Zoomer. Changing gears does dictate what footwear you use. I don't wear dress shoes on my motorcycle. 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, In the jungle said:

The type of transmission used on the Honda Wave and Finn was pioneered in the 1960s by Honda on the C50.

It has evolved and undergone refinement in the sixty years since then.  It is pretty much bulletproof and very easy to use.

To take one example the Wave 110i actually has two clutches; one is centrifugal and actuated by rpm and the other is a conventional multiplate wet clutch which is actuated by moving the gear lever.  The two clutches act seamlessly together.

Interesting. We have an 8 year old 125 Wave in great condition but considering passing it on to the family. I am tempted by the newer technology ,cvt transmission and bigger engine of the Honda click 160 although missus favours another 125 Wave which has barely changed. We don’t use it beyond short journeys often filling the spacious under seat with shopping,or my full face Arai helmet (which also actually just squeezes under the click seat. 
Any suggestions /tips?

3 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Interesting. We have an 8 year old 125 Wave in great condition but considering passing it on to the family. I am tempted by the newer technology ,cvt transmission and bigger engine of the Honda click 160 although missus favours another 125 Wave which has barely changed. We don’t use it beyond short journeys often filling the spacious under seat with shopping, or my full face Arai helmet (which also actually just squeezes under the click seat. 
Any suggestions /tips?

For urban/suburban transport the Click, hands down.

I always carry my helmet. Gives me an excuse for having a bad hair day. OK, actually a no hair day but...

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Interesting. We have an 8 year old 125 Wave in great condition but considering passing it on to the family. I am tempted by the newer technology ,cvt transmission and bigger engine of the Honda click 160 although missus favours another 125 Wave which has barely changed. We don’t use it beyond short journeys often filling the spacious under seat with shopping,or my full face Arai helmet (which also actually just squeezes under the click seat. 
Any suggestions /tips?

I prefer the Honda Wave type transmission to CVT but the point you make about the under seat storage is a good one. 

I too use an Arai full face and leaving it parked on a mirror isn't a good option so I walk around with it like a numpty.

25 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I prefer the Honda Wave type transmission to CVT but the point you make about the under seat storage is a good one. 

I too use an Arai full face and leaving it parked on a mirror isn't a good option so I walk around with it like a numpty.

That’s why I was surprised that my full face helmet actually fitted (with a bit of pushing down on the Click's seat to get it to lock) . The reviews say it doesn’t! It’s an easy fit in the Wave along with the gloves. With an expensive helmet it’s a must it’s secure,as you say

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

so I walk around with it like a numpty.

You have to learn how to carry it looking cool???? Difficult to describe. Hand inside under the strap, then resting on rim. It becomes almost part of you and you can use it like a basket if in 7-Eleven/Tops. et al. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

You have to learn how to carry it looking cool???? Difficult to describe. Hand inside under the strap, then resting on rim. It becomes almost part of you and you can use it like a basket if in 7-Eleven/Tops. et al. 

I usually end up holding it between my knees when at the checkout to have both hands free.  Unfortunately that leaves me immobile until I finish faffing about with money and purchases.

Do you, by any chance, have any links on the whole helmet coolness thing.  Videos, support groups, whatever...????

20 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I usually end up holding it between my knees when at the checkout to have both hands free.  Unfortunately that leaves me immobile until I finish faffing about with money and purchases.

Do you, by any chance, have any links on the whole helmet coolness thing.  Videos, support groups, whatever...????

Mine came with a bag,  o either use that or ask reception anywhere to take care 20baht works wonders if they except it. 

i've had a better idea, think I'm off to Malaysia, buy a Honda RS150R and do some cheap touring......petrol is dirt bloody cheap!!! COME ON lol

PS oh yeah and 90 days on entry, piece of p!ss to just go over the border and get another 90 days too......much easier than messing with the mofos here ????

Edited by driver52

Depends on how far you want to go touring Thailand. I don’t think small bikes like wave etc are adequate for long distance riding unless you plan to stop frequently. Also, once you enjoy riding your bike you may find a one cylinder moped not so much fun. I’d go with xmax or pcx equivalent. At least 300cc. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, driver52 said:

i've had a better idea, think I'm off to Malaysia, buy a Honda RS150R and do some cheap touring......

I used to ride an NSR150R. Bit quicker than a RS but definitely OK for touring. Stick a Givi box on the back and you are good to go. OK for 250 kms a day in Indonesia. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/2/2023 at 10:34 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

What exactly is a moped? When I was a kid, my dad had what is called a moped. It is an ordinary bike with a very small engine at the back of the seat.

I don't think they even exist any more, is a moped another name for a Wave? If not then I am stumped.

On 5/2/2023 at 10:46 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Like a Forza, fully automatic and comfortable over a long journey, and excellent for riding in Bangkok and Pattaya.