The bad actors in Thailand’s cannabis industry

14 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

And while there may always be imports, domestic production will probably get 75 - 80% of the market (in weight).

Doubt that! And, where is that statistic? Dubious supposition at best.

Dispensaries in Samui are all too proud to tell you about their ‘Cali’ imports. If this wasn’t so, they would be importing from Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiangmai.

“And it is illegal to IMPORT cannabis into Thailand. (yes, there is a loophole for "scientific research")”

This is also NOT true. I have seen valid import licenses. Many. Yes, it is illegal export it out of the US and Canada. Trust me, that in and of itself will allow the US DEA to pressure And influence Thai legislation in the coming round of regulations, that you all know is coming.

Edited by SamuiGrower
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, george said:

So what can a Kitty do about it? I am currently working on "The people's Cannabis Act." with other cannabis groups, activists and advocates, as well as the general public to be submitted to parliament when it comes back in session. We are also hunting for 10,000+ signatures (Thais with Thai ID only) to then submit to the next Health Minister demanding that Cannabis are not place back on the Narcotic List.

I thought it was against forum rules to use forum posts to advocate for political change.

"23. You will not use ASEAN NOW as a platform to gather support to effect changes on religious, political, or governmental issues."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Why demonize foreign shop owners?

I understand promoting local production though.

Aren't most Thai shop owners simply profit seeking opportunists the same as the foreign?

Your POV comes off as toxic hyper nationalism, kind of like if xenophobic  Trump was Thai. 

Foreigners here have made Thailand their new home. Where is the respect for fellow human beings?

Just can't help it! So very sad. Loving your country and putting it first is what every person should do especially politicians and leaders. There is a word for people who do the opposit and it starts with "T" and ends in "r".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Cannot say much for her perceived fluency in the English language either…

Plus she comes over as greedy and a bit of a narcissist..

Assuming she alone wrote that editorial without help and her husband is a farang, then her "lack of fluency" in the English language remark is rather odd. While it's possible her husband is fluent in Thai and they converse together in Thai, chances are he's not and they communicate in English and she even prefers it this way.

I agree that she sounds like a real piece of work, definitely a narcissist. 

1 hour ago, george said:

Cannabis Brands from over the world eyed Thailand and came to stake thier claim to the new Asian market, spilling garbage about supporting the local industry while acting through nominees, and shipping our heritage strains back home to then sell back illegal imports to Thais that are paid minimum wage as farmhands. Many brands have the word Thai in their name but not a single Thai flower or owner can be seen.

I see. In a way similar to fabricating and selling those knockoff misspelled "Lois Vitton" bags that for decades and to this day thrive in Thai markets all over the country..., isn't it? Now, this example does not quite apply in that Copyright/Trademark Infringements and Intellectual Property Rights Infringements are prosecutable crimes - while (and correct me if I'm wrong) all the foreign owned cannabis stores are perfectly legal, otherwise just call the police.

1 hour ago, george said:

Call out to all those foreign owned cannabis stores who didn't contribution to the fight, and are just free-loading on the backs of those who are

Well now, this is basically saying that you all did the heavy lifting in getting pro-cannabis legislation and while doing that you missed to Safeguard, Trademark and Copyright your hard work, you were so narrowly focused on the legislation that you missed protecting your product. Whose fault is that?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1