The bad actors in Thailand’s cannabis industry

1 hour ago, stoner said:

i dont think many people are selling hemp as high thc imports in thailand. 

Many online sellers have a couple CBD strains among their THCs, but forget to mention the difference, so if you don't ask...
In my experience they normally don't claim THC content, though.

I think there is much less imported flowers in Thailand than most people think. Most of the shops advertise their top shelf stuff as 'cali imports' but I think it's just marketing. They advertise it as imported to justify the high price.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Plenty of brick smuggled from Laos (under 3000bht/kg).

Probably the most popular/prolific source of weed in Thailand.

Can't imagine many Thais paying Kitty 1000bht/gm+ for a smoke.

Yes plenty of Laotian brick on the lower end of the market. I was referring high quality indoor grown flowers. Plenty of it is grown in Thailand, I don't think most of it is imported from US/Canada as most people think.

Thai company and employment law is MASSIVELY in favour of locals, more so than in any other country I've lived.

If a Thai cannot compete in their own market against foreigners (legal or not) then they should take a very hard look at:

1.) There business model (if they have one)

2.) The people paid to enforce their laws.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't know any Thais that buy high priced flowers

That says more about you than about Thais. Try socializing in places other than 7-11 steps. 

The majority of Thais I know have nice houses, cars, motorcycles. They can easily afford good bud. The shops I frequent are 95% Thai customers. FACT.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2023 at 9:06 AM, bamnutsak said:

And how do you know the provenance of this "top shelf stuff"?

The bulk of the discussion here is about foreign, illegally imported cannabis.

The cannabis growth cycle from seed to bag is well known, including nutes - assuming nutes are even used as many are using organic/living soil and organic nutes. Local growers, from the most part, know how to wind down flowering going into harvest.

How many strains have you sampled? Every single one gave you a headache? One might ask why you keep wanting to self-induce a headache? Have you smoked anything that didn't give you a headache?

it came in ziplocks by the gram, printed label with strain name of the seed bank. I've tried a couple cafes in patts area and bought a half dozen bags a couple of times and then gave up and am now buying whole plants from local. unfortunately, these plants have seeds that I remove before I decarb a handful of product and blend it in a banana smoothy. it's too weak unless I chainsmoke, but blended with banana, cocoa and milk it's the ticket.

some confusion on this board about what is imported, the seeds or finished product. curious if you know, because the weed back in the good ole us of a is problem free for me, so I suspect the seeds are imported and the grow methods here are still being sorted out.

• Confused 1

When you consider the negative impacts on Thailand's cultural, religious, and social values, its educational development, and road safety, as far as I'm concerned, everyone involved in Thailand's cannabis trade is a "bad actor." That applies as well to internet sites which soullessly promote the cannabis industry in the pursuit of advertising revenue. 

Edited by Gecko123
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, NextG said:

You know that’s total nonsense, don’t you? 
Do you imagine that people only began to use cannabis when it was legalised and that no knew where to obtain it before then?

I wasn’t interested nor looking when I first arrived in Thailand, yet within hours of arriving on a island in the south, a friendly bar tender offered to share. I declined as I didn’t smoke anyway. It was not unusual back then. There were only periods of tightening up along the way, but even then…

No, I don't think it's total nonsense. I think it's the truth.

You seem to think that having been offered to buy a joint at a full moon party qualifies you as an expert on whether decriminalization is good for Thailand. The "cannabis is native to Thailand and been around since the beginning of time" argument really doesn't stand up to scrutiny. You could say the same thing about opium. According to your reasoning, it should be legalized as well.

How much do you know about the challenges of educational development in Thailand? Rural poverty? Buddhist precepts about intoxication? Road safety? Growing social alienation and psychological maladjustment among Thai youth? 

Those are my concerns, and I think a sizable portion of the Thai population agrees with me. Try looking beyond whether you like the idea of smoking weed on holiday or as an expat, and consider the impact on your host country for a moment.

People act like decriminalization is an enlightened policy. Look at the social alienation (suicide, school shootings, mass shootings, etc.), the loneliness "epidemic" recently highlighted by the US Surgeon General, falling academic performance, and drug scourges plaguing the US and Western Europe. I don't think there's any question that drug use hasn't played a role in the development of these social problems.

If you don't think cannabis decriminalization runs the risk of worsening and accelerating social problems in Thailand, and negatively impacting road safety, I strongly disagree.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Buddhist precepts about intoxication?

now i understand how the word bong originated in the thai language. 

also please tell me you are not using thai concerns about road safety and cannabis in the same sentence.

enlighten us on the huge concern thai people have about road safety.....just in general will do you don't have to go into the detail about cannabis. 

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

No, I don't think it's total nonsense. I think it's the truth.

You seem to think that having been offered to buy a joint at a full moon party qualifies you as an expert on whether decriminalization is good for Thailand. The "cannabis is native to Thailand and been around since the beginning of time" argument really doesn't stand up to scrutiny. You could say the same thing about opium. According to your reasoning, it should be legalized as well.

How much do you know about the challenges of educational development in Thailand? Rural poverty? Buddhist precepts about intoxication? Road safety? Growing social alienation and psychological maladjustment among Thai youth? 

Those are my concerns, and I think a sizable portion of the Thai population agrees with me. Try looking beyond whether you like the idea of smoking weed on holiday or as an expat, and consider the impact on your host country for a moment.

People act like decriminalization is an enlightened policy. Look at the social alienation (suicide, school shootings, mass shootings, etc.), the loneliness "epidemic" recently highlighted by the US Surgeon General, falling academic performance, and drug scourges plaguing the US and Western Europe. I don't think there's any question that drug use hasn't played a role in the development of these social problems.

If you don't think cannabis decriminalization runs the risk of worsening and accelerating social problems in Thailand, and negatively impacting road safety, I strongly disagree.

I wasn’t at a Full Moon party… I dare say I know a fair bit more about what goes on than yourself. 
I wrote what I meant in the first place. If you do not understand it, then we do not need to discuss further. 

On 5/4/2023 at 10:16 AM, marcusb said:

That says more about you than about Thais. Try socializing in places other than 7-11 steps. 

The majority of Thais I know have nice houses, cars, motorcycles. They can easily afford good bud. The shops I frequent are 95% Thai customers. FACT.  

Yes, but those are people that don't smoke weed. Their kids might dabble in it but I doubt many 45+ yo Thais smoking weed with any regularity.

• Confused 3

On 5/4/2023 at 10:16 AM, marcusb said:

Absolutely agree. All of the bud shops round me (Bangkok, far away from tourist areas) sell almost exclusively to Thai customers. I never understand why people think that Thai people don't have money. Open your eyes people.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 3:46 PM, MrBiker said:

Let's see, she sells 1 gram for 1,000 baht. A married couple enjoying a toke every night after work, that's a 30k a month habit. Forget Thai people, I don't know many westerners who could, or WOULD spend that much on pot. 

Weed is not some high end luxury product only for the elites. The real money is in getting more regular people lighting up. That requires a more realistic price point.

My local weed shop is in a 100%Thai area full of students and middle class Thais.

I've never seen a customer in there EVER, guess the owners are the same people that own Top Charoen opticians..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/5/2023 at 3:37 PM, Gecko123 said:

I don't think cannabis will make Thai society worse than it already is.

Road safety, morality, social values ............. non-existent.

Corruption ........ pervasive at all levels of government, business and society.

Prostitution .......... every where.

Domestic violence ......... completely out of control.

But the petty theft that makes our western societies so unpleasant is surprisingly almost completely absent.

I'd choose to live here just to avoid the random muggings, stabbings and break-ins that are rampant in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, bkk_bwana said:

Absolutely agree. All of the bud shops round me (Bangkok, far away from tourist areas) sell almost exclusively to Thai customers. I never understand why people think that Thai people don't have money. Open your eyes people.

I think it's a novelty. I seriously doubt it becomes a thing with middle class, educated Thais unless immersed in western culture, sensibilities. I've all the young people I've known I'd say a fraction will even try it later in adulthood. Not surprising, professionals usually not big weed smokers. If nothing else the absentmindedness

Novelty will wear off and weed shops in further dire straits. Only best and cheapest survive.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MrBiker said:

I cant imagine why anyone would actually want to go to a physical location to buy bud. 

Agreed with most of your post, but would suggest at 500bht/gm many would like to see and smell the product they are being sold. I didn't even buy from the guys sitting on m/cs outside Thai/Khmer/Viet clubs without smelling the $10 bag contents first.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MrBiker said:

cant imagine why anyone would actually want to go to a physical location to buy bud. 

I only go to a physical location. I don't trust online vendors tbh

I don't buy much online. My wife does it for me ( it's few purchases a year). I don't want my personal and credit card details going to ?????? Not only that be directly associated with weed which is only kinda sorta legal here... anywhere.

4 hours ago, Plern said:

I think it's a novelty. I seriously doubt it becomes a thing with middle class, educated Thais unless immersed in western culture, sensibilities. I've all the young people I've known I'd say a fraction will even try it later in adulthood. Not surprising, professionals usually not big weed smokers. If nothing else the absentmindedness

Novelty will wear off and weed shops in further dire straits. Only best and cheapest survive.

It's very much a thing with educated middle class Thais. Nothing to do with western culture. Plenty of professionals too. I really don't think that you know too much about the scene and are making some guesses.