The bad actors in Thailand’s cannabis industry

3 hours ago, Plern said:

I only go to a physical location. I don't trust online vendors tbh

I don't buy much online. My wife does it for me ( it's few purchases a year). I don't want my personal and credit card details going to ?????? Not only that be directly associated with weed which is only kinda sorta legal here... anywhere.

There are plenty of highly reliable online vendors. They all do cash on delivery. 'kinda sorta legal'. Are you scared the authorities will know who you are? They could not give a rat's <deleted> about you. It's not illegal.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Plern said:

I only go to a physical location. I don't trust online vendors tbh

I don't buy much online. My wife does it for me ( it's few purchases a year). I don't want my personal and credit card details going to ?????? Not only that be directly associated with weed which is only kinda sorta legal here... anywhere.

For me its the exact opposite. I'm so used to prohibition, that it just feels wrong to go into a shop in the open and buy weed like that. I'd much rather stick to the traditional model of buying from independent growers or online.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, bkk_bwana said:

There are plenty of highly reliable online vendors. They all do cash on delivery. 'kinda sorta legal'. Are you scared the authorities will know who you are? They could not give a rat's <deleted> about you. It's not illegal.

You have two options

1 Know positively, data and records.

2 Not know

I know which one I'll choose for myself, long haul expat and my family.

Edited by Plern
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, MrBiker said:

It makes no sense to sell just weed and have to price rent into your product. 

Tell that to every retailer of anything. Of course on paper it makes sense. You can keep your inventory in a box in a safe, you need a tiny storefront and it is the most expensive agricultural product you can get your hands on per kg.  The problem is too many shops. Tragedy of the Commons.

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My local weed shop is in a 100%Thai area full of students and middle class Thais.

I've never seen a customer in there EVER, guess the owners are the same people that own Top Charoen opticians..

When I used to live in Chiang Mai I lived in a Thai only apartment.  It wasn't discriminatory, it was just in the years my wife and I lived there I never saw any long-stay farang in the building, just short timers (OhOHOH <screams as someone gets religion>!!!)  But with that said, ganja smoke was not an unfamiliar smell in the complex wafting up from the outdoor courtyard.  It wasn't farangs smoking unless they were sharing it with Thai residents. And this back when it was "illegal." Most of the residents worked over on Loi Kroh.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, connda said:

When I used to live in Chiang Mai I lived in a Thai only apartment.  It wasn't discriminatory, it was just in the years my wife and I lived there I never saw any long-stay farang in the building, just short timers (OhOHOH <screams as someone gets religion>!!!)  But with that said, ganja smoke was not an unfamiliar smell in the complex wafting up from the outdoor courtyard.  It wasn't farangs smoking unless they were sharing it with Thai residents. And this back when it was "illegal." Most of the residents worked over on Loi Kroh.  

I doubt these people are buying their bud from over priced dispensaries though. They are probably smoking Thai strains that cost peanuts. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Plern said:

You have two options

1 Know positively, data and records.

2 Not know

I know which one I'll choose for myself, long haul expat and my family.

There's a third option. Stop worrying about unimportant stuff.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, roietfortress said:

most of us haven't stopped since last summer ????

I'm making up for lost time. ????

Hopefully, over time, prices will come down and quality increase (but no complaints, so far). Amsterdam is my measure stick as I've managed to find cannabis utopia on more than a few occasions but always too stoned to remember what and where I bought it.  

• Love It 1

On 5/3/2023 at 11:10 AM, bamnutsak said:

Pitchforks and torches optional.

!!! Who faces the problem of imported flowers competing for the area of Thai planted flowers? come together to discuss join in management problems Let's join together to solve the problem!!!
Invite everyone to join the discussion with the government.
management approach Cannabis smuggling affects the safe and balanced management of cannabis.
May 8, 2023
Time 10.00-12.00
Suwannaphruek Meeting Room
building 1 floor 1
Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine
Ministry of Public Health
The Thai Cannabis Future Writing Network and its associates

345043487_254152330334659_5628249225183461737_n.jpg

Results of this meeting....

AFAIK it remains illegal to import cannabis into Thailand. There may be an exemption for small amounts for medical research with the appropriate license. Some here claim they've seen import licenses but they claim privacy concerns when pressed for details.

The U.S. (illegal imports are likely coming from Canada as well) seems to be bearing the brunt of the attention on this subject. Local diplos will probably have to address this issue in private, or in public, if only to accept a written grievance.

There are some questionable assertions, and a whole host of issues are conflated: imported cannabis, foreign ownership, illegal delivery services (US->THL).

I also believe that marketing/selling/fulfilling cannabis on line is illegal. I think this was codified ~ 12 Nov 2022 by the MoPH when the Cannabis Control Act stalled in Parliament.

https://www.facebook.com/chokwankittychopaka

Meeting minutes with the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine.
Agenda:
Management strategies for the illegal import of cannabis, which has an impact on entrepreneurs and growers in the country.
Chair of the meeting:
Dr. Thewin Thanirattanakorn, Deputy Director-General of the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine
Key Issues:
From the Public:
- 70-80% of the cannabis sold in tourist areas is illegally imported.
- Foreigners from China, Russia, America, and Europe can be seen selling illegally smuggled cannabis flowers and extracts.
- Many cannabis shops/farms use nominees to conceal foreign ownership and some also import cannabis illegally.
- Foreigners working as salespeople or growers for cannabis shops and farms.
- Imported cannabis  through licensed farm got converted to Thai cannabis.
- More police officers are becoming involved in the cannabis business and are not enforcing the law that affects their benefits.
- Online advertising to promote illegal delivery services of cannabis from America to Thailand can be seen allover social media.
- Lack of a central agency to take reports and complaints of bad actors.
- Need for clear legal regulations.
- Corruption in the permit application process and in extortion for protection money from shops, etc. (old problems still remain)
Deputy Director:
- Acknowledged that there are illicit imports of cannabis from foreign countries and there are Nominee businesses.
- The act of importing cannabis is still illegal under the Plant Quarantine Act B.E. 2507, Section 2, as it is a prohibited item to enter the kingdom without passing through the plant inspection checkpoint. The importer is in violation of Articles 8 and 10 of the Act, and is subject to penalties as prescribed in Section 21 of the Narcotics Act, namely imprisonment of up to one year, a fine of up to 20,000 baht, or both.
- Currently, there are education efforts being carried out in various sectors, along with plans to implement stricter control systems.
- As of May 3, 2023, there are a total of 8,879 controlled herb (cannabis) sales licenses nationwide (1,809 in Bangkok).
- We want entrepreneurs who have been licensed to comply with the regulations and submit Forms Type 27 and Type 28 seriously, as the department will start suspending or revoking licenses for those who fail to submit the forms twice in a row, following the promotional period.
- Currently, the department has started inspecting shops throughout the country and has suspended the licenses of some shops or ordered them to close down.
- The occupation of "selling" is actually reserved exclusively for Thais and is not allowed for foreigners according to the Alien Workers Management Act of 2017. Violators can be fined from 5,000 to 50,000 baht and deported and blacklisted, and employers who hire foreign workers without work permits or allow them to work outside their authorized scope can be fined from 10,000 to 100,000 baht per worker. Repeat offenders may face imprisonment for up to 1 year or fines from 50,000 to 200,000 baht, and are prohibited from hiring foreign workers for 3 years. Anyone who witnesses such violations can report to the police or immigration officers for legal action.
The summary of today's meeting is that both parties will proceed with the recommendations made by the other party and prepare for the enforcement of the regulations.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1

we buy ours mostly from Lampang farm. i've only bought in BKK shops as a novelty on holiday. i wouldn't pay those crazy prices on the regular.

i agree there's no need for the imports. there's plenty of great local grows for medical treatment. importing weed or other drugs should be illegal as its always been.

seeds tho, maybe.

#

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roietfortress said:

we buy ours mostly from Lampang farm. i've only bought in BKK shops as a novelty on holiday. i wouldn't pay those crazy prices on the regular.

i agree there's no need for the imports. there's plenty of great local grows for medical treatment. importing weed or other drugs should be illegal as its always been.

seeds tho, maybe.

#

Why should it be illegal? They should charge a tariff on it and let the consumers decide. Personally I prefer to support Thai weed, but I don't see why imports should be illegal.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, MrBiker said:

Why should it be illegal? They should charge a tariff on it and let the consumers decide. Personally I prefer to support Thai weed, but I don't see why imports should be illegal.

basically the reasons that lady in the OP said. support Thai ganja industry, not foreign actors, if you want Thais to support legalization.

her reasons are better than mine.

#

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, roietfortress said:

basically the reasons that lady in the OP said. support Thai ganja industry, not foreign actors, if you want Thais to support legalization.

her reasons are better than mine.

#

Sure, but what if it is the Thai ganjapreneurs who are importing it? 

Are we allowed to buy import coffee here, import vodka, import tea? Why is this any different?

Instead of banning stuff, just tax it accordingly and let the consumers decide what is right for them. Maybe some fancy import strain will cost 1k a gram after tariffs. For someone it maybe worth it because they have a favorite brand from back home. For most others they will buy the local grown non tariff bud which should be priced a lot more competitively. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, MrBiker said:

Sure, but what if it is the Thai ganjapreneurs who are importing it? 

Are we allowed to buy import coffee here, import vodka, import tea? Why is this any different?

Instead of banning stuff, just tax it accordingly and let the consumers decide what is right for them. Maybe some fancy import strain will cost 1k a gram after tariffs. For someone it maybe worth it because they have a favorite brand from back home. For most others they will buy the local grown non tariff bud which should be priced a lot more competitively. 

yea i better stay out of it ????

#

3 hours ago, MrBiker said:

Why is this any different?

pretty sure it is illegal to export cannabis from california (usa federal law ?). yes the few small medical licenses are available but not what's being discussed here. oregon weed is illegal outside of the state. canadian flower can be exported but under strict regulations and guidelines so it's highly unlikely any of it is legally imported here. 

now if the laws in both the origin and destination both allow for import and export of cannabis then ok. this is not the case here though right ? 

when comparing other products they are legal in both origin and destination in regards to importing and exporting. cannabis is not and that's the difference. 

Edited by stoner
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, stoner said:

pretty sure it is illegal to export cannabis from california. yes the few small medical licenses are available but not what's being discussed here. oregon weed is illegal outside of the state. canadian flower can be exported but under strict regulations and guidelines so it's highly unlikely any of it is legally imported here. 

now if the laws in both the origin and destination both allow for import and export of cannabis then ok. this is not the case here though right ? 

when comparing other products they are legal in both origin and destination in regards to importing and exporting. cannabis is not and that's the difference. 

I agree that illegal imports should not be allowed. In my post I am thinking long term. As more countries legalize, I am sure we will start to see global cannabis trade. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Kitty goes off the rails...

Hi foreign haters, guess what? Did you know that one of the big reason that Move Forward Party want cannabis to be made illegal again was because of foreign import flooding into the country. Now they won the election and will make cannabis illegal again as one of the first thing to do as the government. So thank you, thank you very much.

https://www.facebook.com/chokwankittychopaka/posts/pfbid02nxs4ULrfGp5V9FSxLcEEWeCqwX9Jf624vRLczf6tzMH5qXopysTiAzTqruV8qZbkl?__cft__[0]=AZXD6jkSJDE4DP1745cVVSiCDn-CFGZTgo2shzXjoS3LXhx0EWQnNfTxaU_phQt3HwYn75HtGF7WwMUvftOpllh-v-LE8ExKIKCS-4X0_TVKydBH307qENtN1CN5TVS-gpQbd7xTsp51abDrKn0_0-KWjGq5qPTGB4mZ05dYrkDjKg&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

First thing she comes up with is the whole nationalistic slant . Says a lot about her . Maybe she should provide proof that one of the reasons that move forward plans on reversing the decriminalization .Otherwise she comes across as unhinged about what has happened today . 

• Thumbs Up 2