The bad actors in Thailand’s cannabis industry

1 hour ago, Gulfsailor said:

I’m not saying illegal imports of buds isn’t happening but at current market rates it really doesn’t make any financial sense to ship from abroad and pay the 40k baht per kilo under the table fee at customs to look the other way. 

The current market rate is NOT 40K baht/kilo it’s US $1500/lb. That’s 112,700 baht/kilo. If you are buying a kilo (from me) of indoor, controlled environment flower, grown from imported seeds, you can pay 100,000 baht. AND, yes that’s here in Thailand. How would I know? I’m in the THC/CBD a business.

This is exhausting.

Please be informed when making flippant comments about a business you are only the end user of. You think you know what the tourists want? Weed from imported seeds? The discerning clientele are the farengs that live here, those that bloviate in forums like this. All else, the tourists, are in it for the high, believing the preposterous descriptions and THC percentages of the grams they are paying 500 to 1000 baht for. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, marcusb said:

I'm happy with 5% THC at 4bht/gm. 

I don't really care about the taste of the weed, in the same way I don't care about the taste of paracetamol. 

Edited July 11, 2022 by BritManToo

My cheapest weed ever just arrived .......

450bht for 107gm of brick.

I've got R9 brick (450bht for 100gm), and it's stronger than the expensive named brand weed.

Having to mix it with Red diesel to tone down the effect a bit.

So I'd say the brick was 10-15% THC.

I'll stop there. Theres tons more of you praising brick weed.  

THERE is nothing wrong with my memory of who said what.  Again, I dont care what you like but the 

ridiculous stuff you type needs to be called out once in a  while. 

Posts and posts of you praising brick weed, todays post- you're too good for it and they are poor growers. 

Dont reply, cause it'll be more fiction.  You know it's true, as do the  people that liked my post.  

Bob Marley wept...

Yawn ........................

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, SamuiGrower said:

The current market rate is NOT 40K baht/kilo

i think he was referring to 40k being the brown envelope fee to have the import shipment pass through customs. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

it really doesn’t make any financial sense to ship from abroad and pay the 40k baht per kilo under the table fee at customs to look the other way. 

you don't know much about the business then. people are getting pounds of cali weed for sometimes less than 300 usd. 

40k tax on a multi pound shipment is peanuts compared to what you can flip it for. 

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Hard to see how foreign grows paying staff $20/hour can compete with Thai grows paying staff 300bht/day.

Last I heard you could buy kilos of decent weed in Oregon for less than 50 US cents (17 baht) a gram. Evidently everyone isn't making $20/hour.
https://www.opb.org/article/2023/03/20/oregon-cannabis-businesses-struggle-record-low-prices/

8 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Yes, some bad comes along with the good. AFAIK, her husband is Canadian, so the xenophobia is strange.

I think the desire to blame foreigners is simply a character flaw, not limited to Thai cannabis activists.

The desire to blame foreigners for anything in Thailand is a built-in feature of Thai character. "Built in" thru school  education and media. I have never heard of Thais thanking foreigners for development aid. For investing in their corrupt country despite disregard and hostility against them. Where would you, mostly low educated Thai people be if foreigners would not support you with their wallets? Did you already forget what your Chinese big brother has done to damage your economy. Did you see where Thailand is after yearslong lockdown with onlu a few foreigners within the country? Your economy is damaged beyond repair. Who you need agaIn? Foreigners of course. Learn to understand and respect them. They are not lower than dogs and cats in your society. They are those who keep your economy alive. Educate yourself before you dare to judge and disrespect foreigners. In many cases you are so much lower than those who you disrespect! Come in our countries we treat you like humans with equal rights, opportunities, social benefits and equal fees and charges, we do not do doublepricing. Learn from us!

Edited by pp00
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

It's your ****** up socio-political system love.

Fix it.....the only way it can be fixed!

Don't blame the vultures for picking over its carcass.

Edited by Enoon

25 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Don't blame the vultures for picking over its carcass.

wouldn't it be great if her and the 10k plus thai who signed some worthless piece of paper showed up en masse to the airport tomorrow to protest the obvious game being played out there. 

expose it for what it is. get it out on social media and let hundreds of thousands of thai see it. 

na it'll be fine. 

2 takeaways from her comments.

1)she has a big problem with harnessing her racism and zenophobia.

2) she realizes that she will not be a favoured "insider" able to benefit from being part of a weed monopoly which she wasted much time trying to create.

In a free market "bad actors" like her will be punished. Good.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good for you, and keep up the good fight. I am an expat, now living in Thailand full time. Taking Cannabis off the narcotics list was the right move. Having no clear plan in place and no enforcement of that plan unfortunate. I say it in a slightly sarcastic way when I look at the big picture. No burning rules are in place, but little enforcement of those rules. No helmet rules are in place, but again, little enforcement of those rules. I could go on, but you get my point, and as a foreigner I have little to no say in any of these matters, but it doesn't mean I have no concern for issues that need attention. My Thai wife, and all my Thai friends feel the same way as you. How can they get their signature on your petition?

Edited by Noah K

16 hours ago, Guitar God said:

That’s not at all what she said. She’s opposed to illegal foreign imports flooding the market and harming legal Thai cannabis businesses. 

If you’re going to attack what she says, attack what she actually said instead of making something up and then criticizing your own invention. 

Illegal imports can be dealt with by the state. There are existing laws for that. But the point she's trying to make remains - Thai good, foreign bad. 

14 hours ago, SeaBee said:

I'm fully aware of the imported weed, what I'm questioning is those "valid import licenses" you seem to be the only to have ever seen. The official stance of the Thai gvt. is that weed imports are illegal so you'd need better evidence than just words to claim the opposite. As another poster said above, seeds can be legally imported with a permit, buds can't.

So, I need to prove something to you? I need better evidence? And, you’re going to lecture to me about the “official stance”? Here is the legislation that was NEVER RESCINDED……

On January 29, 2021, Thailand will begin processing applications for licenses to produce, import, export, distribute, and possess hemp (Cannabis sativa). The specific requirements for this significant step in Thailand’s ongoing development of a regulatory regime for hemp are contained in the Ministerial Regulation Re: Application and License for Production, Importation, Exportation, Selling or Possession of Hemp, which was published in the Government Gazette

I was part of that process, possessing 4 distinct licenses (what to see them too?)

So, please keep insisting it isn’t so. You’re not in the business and anyone can site letter and verse of a simple Google search. If you are in the business and you navigate growers, processors, and distributors you know what’s really going on. 

There is no question the “stance” is not to allow importation of flower but the reality is there are many, many license holders, grandfathered if you may, that are importing, legally, along with the black market, illegal imports.

Hope you’re satisfied but somehow I think that will elude you and many others who are not in the business and just like to repeat what the azzes of the masses are preaching. 

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, cncltd1973 said:

I've tried many strains of the top shelf stuff here, and they all gave me a headache. I suspect the local growers aren't paying attention to when to stop fertilizing or they aren't flushing the nutrients.

And how do you know the provenance of this "top shelf stuff"?

The bulk of the discussion here is about foreign, illegally imported cannabis.

The cannabis growth cycle from seed to bag is well known, including nutes - assuming nutes are even used as many are using organic/living soil and organic nutes. Local growers, from the most part, know how to wind down flowering going into harvest.

How many strains have you sampled? Every single one gave you a headache? One might ask why you keep wanting to self-induce a headache? Have you smoked anything that didn't give you a headache?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SamuiGrower said:

As other posters have mentioned, the ‘medical loophole’ laws and imports to fill the nascent market still exist, have never been ended, and are widely exploited. Don’t know why you are soooo surprised! It’s the least of what’s concerning. But please, feel free to keep insisting it’s just not so. 

I've done a bit of homework and it looks like I'm standing corrected.

Thank you for the enlightenment, appreciated.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pitchforks and torches optional.

!!! Who faces the problem of imported flowers competing for the area of Thai planted flowers? come together to discuss join in management problems Let's join together to solve the problem!!!
Invite everyone to join the discussion with the government.
management approach Cannabis smuggling affects the safe and balanced management of cannabis.
May 8, 2023
Time 10.00-12.00
Suwannaphruek Meeting Room
building 1 floor 1
Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine
Ministry of Public Health
The Thai Cannabis Future Writing Network and its associates

345043487_254152330334659_5628249225183461737_n.jpg

• Haha 1

image.jpeg.c75b147437985092db1c12917a778479.jpeg

The irony is palpable considering the legislature created the problem.

How does one stuff the genie back in the bottle?

“No Illegal Imports!” But the legal import of cannabis by those holding ‘legal import licenses’, well those are OK. ????

Beyond the pale!

Edited by SamuiGrower

4 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

I've tried many strains of the top shelf stuff here, and they all gave me a headache. I suspect the local growers aren't paying attention to when to stop fertilizing or they aren't flushing the nutrients. it isn't as easy as nature to make great weed. my experience with thai workers is they feel they have succeeded when the work is good enough, without contemplating improvement for the future. that mindset works to stop competition instead of creating the best product

Headaches are a sign of PGRs... That stuff is not top shelf at all, it just kinda looks so, but it's shamelessly sold as such. It's mostly imported, not grown locally.

Edited by SeaBee
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

my my arent we a sensitive lot. 

One of the people directly involved in the legalization of marijuana in thailand points out the current market is awash with vendors (some forein) selling illegal imported product and you turn it into a race war. 

well done.