Final officer convicted on US state charges over George Floyd death

Social Media

One of the Minneapolis officers involved in the death of George Floyd has been found guilty of aiding and abetting manslaughter.

A Minnesota judge issued the guilty verdict for Tou Thao on Monday night.

Four former police officer were charged in the aftermath of Mr Floyd's death. His killing led to mass protests around the world.

Thao's conviction on the latest charges marks the end in a series of state and federal cases against the four men.

Minnesota's attorney general Keith Ellison said Thao's conviction is "historic and the right outcome".

"While we have now reached the end of the prosecution of Floyd's murder, it is not behind us," he said.

"There is much more that prosecutors, law-enforcement leaders, rank-and-file officers, elected officials, and community can do to bring about true justice in law enforcement," he said.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Do you mean the baying crowd yelling at the police officers that they were killing the guy on the ground? I doubt the crowd would have shouted quite as much if these guys weren't in the process of murdering someone in cold blood. Should they have stood back quietly and let it happen?

Guilty as charged.

I suspect if he had allowed the baying crowd to advance on the officers then there would have more fatalities, possibly the officers and possibly people in the crowds. He was in an impossible position. Damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The Police are taught and trained to control the crowd , they tell the public what to do .

The Police are not trained to accept demands from the public .

The Police tell the public to "stand back" , the public don't tell the Police to "stand back"

No amount of police training obviates the duty not to unlawfully kill civilians.

If officers are, as you say trained, then they should be handling the situation and continually assessing developments.

Multiple people standing near by telling police officers that they are killing the guy who one of the officers has his knee on his neck is the kind of thing trained officers ought reasonably be expected respond to. 

The Jury agreed.

But back to this training you mention, I wonder which part of police training covers holding a person to the ground with your knee on his neck for over 9 minutes?

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

This man did nothing wrong except keep people back. He was doing crowd control, nothing more.

My belief and opinion of which I'm entitled is that the guilty verdict was in part fear of a backlash in the community if he was found innocent. 

The jury disagree with you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

This cop was doing crowd control, nothing more. But, to satisfy the BLM crowd they are charging him as well. 

"This cop was doing crowd control, nothing more."

Not true, he was standing over Floyd as he was on the ground with a knee on his neck by the other officer. Floyd was still just alive screaming to be let go just before he died. Tou did nothing while this was going on a couple of feet away from him.

Tou Thao also had 6 previous complaints made against him including a brutality lawsuit for throwing a man to the ground and hitting him.

Video:

https://www.nytimes.com/article/george-floyd.html

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

This man did nothing wrong except keep people back. He was doing crowd control, nothing more.

My belief and opinion of which I'm entitled is that the guilty verdict was in part fear of a backlash in the community if he was found innocent. 

You are making things up!

Watch the video. There was no crowd, only a few people. They were not threatening or trying to intervene. They were cautiously remaining on the sidewalk, and were just yelling Floyd was dying. There was no crowd control. The video even showed a cop watching it quietly with his hands in his pockets.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/01/us/george-floyd-three-videos-minneapolis/index.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No amount of police training obviates the duty not to unlawfully kill civilians.

If officers are, as you say trained, then they should be handling the situation and continually assessing developments.

Multiple people standing near by telling police officers that they are killing the guy who one of the officers has his knee on his neck is the kind of thing trained officers ought reasonably be expected respond to. 

The Jury agreed.

But back to this training you mention, I wonder which part of police training covers holding a person to the ground with your knee on his neck for over 9 minutes?

Try watching YouTube vids on USA police doing their job, you will see many police trying to arrest nutters using knee on head, neck, whatever.......

OH, I forgot, you don't watch video's, even true life police video's................????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1