Carlson’s Text That Alarmed Fox Leaders: ‘It’s Not How White Men Fight’

onthedarkside

23 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

He has high standards for his own group. Is that a bad thing?  TBH it may be more of a generational thing.  No respect for a 'fair fight' like in the past.  People complain about it in Thailand all the time- the way Thai men all pile on when a fight breaks out.  No honorable single combat.  

Apparently, he believes that other races have a lower standard for how they fight. Otherwise why invoke race at all? As for your reference to Thai men, I haven't heard such a thing but anyway that's about nationality not race. A comparable comment from Carlson would have been he didn't believe that Americans could fight like that. It might be just as tendentious, but it wouldn't be racist. It seems Carlson considers himself white first and, at best, an American second.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Apparently, he believes that other races have a lower standard for how they fight. Otherwise why invoke race at all? As for your reference to Thai men, I haven't heard such a thing but anyway that's about nationality not race. A comparable comment from Carlson would have been he didn't believe that Americans could fight like that. It might be just as tendentious, but it wouldn't be racist. It seems Carlson considers himself white first and, at best, an American second.

So when Amy Chua, the "Tiger Mom" expects her kids to do better than those from other ethnic groups, she is racist too? Any talk of how successful Asian parents are is racist?  Please. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

So when Amy Chua, the "Tiger Mom" expects her kids to do better than those from other ethnic groups, she is racist too? Any talk of how successful Asian parents are is racist?  Please. 

When Amy Chua is talking about raising her kids the Chinese way she's talking about a method. She isn't claiming that ethnic chinese have morally higher standards,. Her husband is an American.  The children are half white. (unless someone's standards are anti-semitic in which case they're half Jewish)  She's promoting a method that anyone can adopt.  She isn't claiming on the basis of race that Chinese kids are smarter or, for that matter, fight more honorably than do other races.

Whereas, to Carlson, the salient point is race. Are you suggesting that race is a method? Something people have a choice about?

5 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

These private text messages that have been released IMO show Tucker is a sincere person. I think we are all aware that his video he released after the firing has 80 MILLION views. ie the campaign to destroy Tucker has made him much stronger. I think the power and influence he wields in the runup to the 2024 election will be a determining factor - and probably the reason for so much of the democrat supporters hatred and fear for the man openly on display.

80 million views, really? Wow, how many times did you view it? Considering 92% of his audience at Fox were white and older generation then it seems their missing their idol.

How sincere is this for instance?

“I’ve got four more years here. I’m stuck with Fox. Got to do whatever I can to keep our numbers up and our viewers happy.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

When Amy Chua is talking about raising her kids the Chinese way she's talking about a method. She isn't claiming that ethnic chinese have morally higher standards,. Her husband is an American.  The children are half white. (unless someone's standards are anti-semitic in which case they're half Jewish)  She's promoting a method that anyone can adopt.  She isn't claiming on the basis of race that Chinese kids are smarter or, for that matter, fight more honorably than do other races.

Whereas, to Carlson, the salient point is race. Are you suggesting that race is a method? Something people have a choice about?

Race or culture? Interchangeable in both cases. Tucker is not saying that only white people fight fair, same as Chua is not saying that only Asiakidsn are smart.

• Thanks 1

This from Tucker last year, interactive view of some of his clips

Carlson has repeatedly promoted parts of the “replacement” theory on his broadcast. In more than 400 episodes, according to an analysis recently published in The New York Times, Carlson backed the idea that elites want to substitute white voters with immigrants or people from the “Third World.”

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/04/30/us/tucker-carlson-tonight.html

31 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Race or culture? Interchangeable in both cases. Tucker is not saying that only white people fight fair, same as Chua is not saying that only Asiakidsn are smart.

Not interchangeable. Culture is something acquired. Race not. Why even make the distinction about white people? Why is race even something to take into account? It only makes sense if the person saying it is a racist. If they believe that at least one other race is inclined to fight unfairly.

15 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Not interchangeable. Culture is something acquired. Race not. Why even make the distinction about white people? Why is race even something to take into account? It only makes sense if the person saying it is a racist. If they believe that at least one other race is inclined to fight unfairly.

White is also a culture, just as Chinese is. Chua used Chinese and Asian interchangeably to make her point.  Ever hear about black people criticizing other blacks as Oreos? Asians criticizing other asians as bananas? Because they were acting too "white".  Meaning culturally white, not racially.

Tucker was lamenting the lack of fighting fair in the three idiots. A very common trait valued traditionally in quote unquote western countries. Fight fair, dont cheat, be gentlemanly. Code of chivalry, man to man duels, all that kind of thing. Traits that are not race specific- anyone can exhibit them. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

White is also a culture, just as Chinese is. Chua used Chinese and Asian interchangeably to make her point.  Ever hear about black people criticizing other blacks as Oreos? Asians criticizing other asians as bananas? Because they were acting too "white".  Meaning culturally white, not racially.

Tucker was lamenting the lack of fighting fair in the three idiots. A very common trait valued traditionally in quote unquote western countries. Fight fair, dont cheat, be gentlemanly. Code of chivalry, man to man duels, all that kind of thing. Traits that are not race specific- anyone can exhibit them. 

Nonsense. Most Finns, most Australians, most Americans, most Afrikaaners, most Italians, most Germans, etc. share a common culture based on their whiteness?

Until recently Carlson played a character on TV that was racist.

There's no debating that.

We can debate whether he's a racist when he's not acting on TV.

I actually don't care if he's racist in private.

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Nonsense. Most Finns, most Australians, most Americans, most Afrikaaners, most Italians, most Germans, etc. share a common culture based on their whiteness?

As much as Asians do based on their "Asian-ness".  No bucket will hold all cultures. But the anglosphere "white" culture is predominant in many countries.  Specific to what Tucker was talking about, I think most of the countries you mentioned would agree that men should fight one on one and not take the cowardly approach of ganging up on one victim. 

Clearly "white" is seen as a culture, otherwise it wouldn't be used by non whites to disparage people. African Americans regularly look down on each other for "acting white". Certainly this means through culture and action, not physical appearance.  

• Thanks 2

How have some of the right wing media attempted to justify Carlson's racists comments?

Easy, add some more racism.

Daily Wire’s Matt Walsh furthered the racist narrative, saying, “In nearly every video on the Internet where gangs of people viciously assault another person, the gangs are comprised of people who are not white.”

TPUSA’s Charlie Kirk claimed, “Tucker Carlson did nothing wrong,” adding, “There is a disturbing pattern of Blacks jumping people of all races in the urban corridors in America. That is a fact.”

Megyn Kelly  “sounds like gang violence to me. … And if you look at stats on gangs in America … literally it’s 99% non-white. … If Tucker is responding to what looks like gang violence, it is not inaccurate to say it’s not typically a group of white people doing that.”

https://www.mediamatters.org/tucker-carlson/right-wing-media-defend-tucker-carlsons-racist-text-messages-more-racism

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

How have some of the right wing media attempted to justify Carlson's racists comments?

Easy, add some more racism.

Daily Wire’s Matt Walsh furthered the racist narrative, saying, “In nearly every video on the Internet where gangs of people viciously assault another person, the gangs are comprised of people who are not white.”

TPUSA’s Charlie Kirk claimed, “Tucker Carlson did nothing wrong,” adding, “There is a disturbing pattern of Blacks jumping people of all races in the urban corridors in America. That is a fact.”

Megyn Kelly  “sounds like gang violence to me. … And if you look at stats on gangs in America … literally it’s 99% non-white. … If Tucker is responding to what looks like gang violence, it is not inaccurate to say it’s not typically a group of white people doing that.”

https://www.mediamatters.org/tucker-carlson/right-wing-media-defend-tucker-carlsons-racist-text-messages-more-racism

Are you seriously using Media Matters as a credible source? Cmon, man!  They didnt even have the journalistic integrity to even PRINT the entire message that Tucker wrote. Instead, they selectively cut out bits to make it seem as if he were applauding the violence he witnessed.  You can do better than this. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Are you seriously using Media Matters as a credible source? Cmon, man!  They didnt even have the journalistic integrity to even PRINT the entire message that Tucker wrote. Instead, they selectively cut out bits to make it seem as if he were applauding the violence he witnessed.  You can do better than this. 

Media Matters has a higher factual rating than Fox News. Besides all the direct source links are included if you care to click on the links.

So now that you try to kick the messenger and because you don't like the message, whats your response?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Media Matters has a higher factual rating than Fox News. Besides all the direct source links are included if you care to click on the links.

So now that you try to kick the messenger and because you don't like the message, whats your response?

"More factual than Fox" is perhaps the epitome of damning with faint praise. Like being the tallest midget.  The links nearly all merely led to yet more Media Matters stories.  And as I said, they did not even bother to show in its entirety the message in question. That says a lot to their credibility and honesty as journalists.

My response is as above. Tucker was not being racist. "White" is as much a cultural marker as racial, especially in the United States. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Yet imagine if a black man saw a group of blacks swarming and attacking someone, and he said, "hey, that's not how black men fight", would HE be racist too?  By expecting better behavior from his fellow African Americans? 

Of course, it wouldn't be considered racist, nor is it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

To be fair, when I meet white people (irrespective of where they come from), I feel we are on a very similar cultural page.

There's a reason for this - I'll bold it for you - we belong to the same ethnic group.

I am sure Thais have more in common with Filipinos, Burmese, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Indonesians than other ethnicities.

Edited by 2009
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 9:23 AM, howlee101 said:

Ah, NY Times...such a credible source ????

Much better than the Right Wing garbage FOX news admittedly puts out.

"Rupert Murdoch says Fox stars 'endorsed' lies about 2020. He chose not to stop them"

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/28/1159819849/fox-news-dominion-voting-rupert-murdoch-2020-election-fraud

Edited by MrJ2U

7 minutes ago, 2009 said:

White people can't say anything these days without being accused of being racist.

Wonder why?

The media probably.

Feeling so sorry for yourself that you are pushed to the ridiculous heights of hyperbole?

Tucker Carlson made a racist statement. He expects a higher standard of conduct from white people than he expects of at least one other race. And given that he's an American commentator, really no need to pretend what other other races he's referring to.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

"More factual than Fox" is perhaps the epitome of damning with faint praise. Like being the tallest midget.  The links nearly all merely led to yet more Media Matters stories.  And as I said, they did not even bother to show in its entirety the message in question. That says a lot to their credibility and honesty as journalists.

My response is as above. Tucker was not being racist. "White" is as much a cultural marker as racial, especially in the United States. 

When you associate being white with a virtue that's lacking in other races then it's obviously racist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

He expects a higher standard of conduct from white people than he expects of at least one other race.

He didn't say that. You inferred that 

48 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

So let me get this right, you don't actually have any comments on the racist remarks from those right wingers digging a hole for themselves defending Tucker and only responded to me about the messenger, Media Matters.

The links are direct to source videos of the actual people I quoted and referred to. I do agree through, comparing Media Matters which has a high factual rating to Fox News which has a mixed rating, 2 steps down, is obviously a mile apart. But then again we are talking about Tucker formerly of Fox News and his racist views.

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I bet you do.

Funny, how you left out the rest of my post where I go on say that the reason for that is we belong to the same ethnicity

You know whites from England, America, and Australia (and so on) share the same ethnicity.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Funny, how you left out the rest of my post where I go on say that the reason for that is we belong to the same ethnicity

You know whites from England, America, and Australia (and so on) share the same ethnicity.

Here's entirely what you said:

"To be fair, when I meet white people (irrespective of where they come from), I feel we are on a very similar cultural page.

There's a reason for this - I'll bold it for you - we belong to the same ethnic group.

I am sure Thais have more in common with Filipinos, Burmese, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Indonesians than other ethnicities."

You made no mention of "England, America, and Australia." Rather you wrote  "(irrespective of where they come from)." How is "(irrespective of where they come from)" the same thing as "England, America, and Australia (and so on)"

And of course you only make it worse for yourself by claiming that "I am sure Thais have more in common with Filipinos, Burmese, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Indonesians than other ethnicities.". Because the relation between Thais who speak a different language and have very different customs from those other Asian ethnicities are somehow analogous to the relations among white English speaking people?

I suggest you stop trying to backpedal.  

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

So let me get this right, you don't actually have any comments on the racist remarks from those right wingers digging a hole for themselves defending Tucker and only responded to me about the messenger, Media Matters.

The links are direct to source videos of the actual people I quoted and referred to. I do agree through, comparing Media Matters which has a high factual rating to Fox News which has a mixed rating, 2 steps down, is obviously a mile apart. But then again we are talking about Tucker formerly of Fox News and his racist views.

Scolding members of your own racial/cultural group for their poor behavior is not racist.  It is a way to express disappointment.

If you want my expanded comments on OTHER people who commented on Tucker's comments about a news clip he saw, perhaps this is not the proper venue. You are more than welcome to start another discussion about that.  Suffice to say that I did not find them particularly racist. Hyperbolic perhaps but generally accurate.

• Haha 1