Facial recognition required for some online services from Thai banks

snoop1130

5 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

and literally no one has said that making accounts ore secure is an issue. 

What is an issue is the mixed messaging and no clear announcements 

The announcement I received was clear. What was unclear about the one(s) you received? 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

So you don't know? 

No, I do not know if the payment I make to keep my Thai social medical insurance active since I retired is the same as making a payment to the Thai Social Security Fund. 

18 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

No, I do not know if the payment I make to keep my Thai social medical insurance active since I retired is the same as making a payment to the Thai Social Security Fund. 

So do you have a Thai Social Security Fund Injrry and Sickness card? Are you registered t a specific government hospital?

Do you ever use the card?

58 minutes ago, scorecard said:

So do you have a Thai Social Security Fund Injrry and Sickness card?

I used to have a card when I was working, I do not think I have a card anymore. 

Are you registered t a specific government hospital?

I am registered at a private hospital that also accepts Thai Social Security Medical

Do you ever use the card?

Again, I do not think I have a card since I retired. I just use my pink ID.

The last time I used it was a few months ago to get a rabies vaccination regiment due to a feral cat bite.

The Krungsri (KMA) app on my Iphone permits facial recognition to log in.I don't suppose that is relevant in the context of the new requirement to pay a visit to a branch.Right?

Does the restriction on transfers also apply to those undertaken on the bank website?

14 minutes ago, jayboy said:

The Krungsri (KMA) app on my Iphone permits facial recognition to log in.I don't suppose that is relevant in the context of the new requirement to pay a visit to a branch.Right?

Does the restriction on transfers also apply to those undertaken on the bank website?

I'd expect it to apply to both website and app

14 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

The announcement I received was clear. What was unclear about the one(s) you received? 

Well that is the thing, I haven't received anything from the three banks I have accounts for .

And you think this is about the wording of the announcements? What about the fact that different banks are giving out different information? Even different branches within the same bank. Also, some statements released talked about using Thai national IDs to be able to use the services. 

4 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Well that is the thing, I haven't received anything from the three banks I have accounts for .

Maybe it's a minimum balance thing. Anyone with less than 50K in their account would not need to worry about transferring more than that, 

And you think this is about the wording of the announcements?

And do I think what is about the wording of the announcements?

What about the fact that different banks are giving out different information?

That has not been my experience. 

Even different branches within the same bank.

How are different branches contacting people? 

Also, some statements released talked about using Thai national IDs to be able to use the services. 

What statements have been released? 

I have BKK Bank, K-Bank and Krungsri. None of them has contacted me. 

The only thing I have "received" is a pop-up when I open the Krungsri app. Why not try opening the Krungsri app? 

This is the pop-up I get:

Krungsri.thumb.jpg.3db6c8f0932b7cead723114999e0aea2.jpg

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

How are different branches contacting people? 

People on here are talking about different branches telling them different things.

I have more than 50 k in my accounts. 

"I have BKK Bank, K-Bank and Krungsri. None of them has contacted me. " - that is the point

It is very simple, there has been no uniform clear announcement. But sure, you die on the hill of it is all going to plan ????  

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

People on here are talking about different branches telling them different things.

People talking about different branches telling them different things. Wow, that seems like really solid intel, particularly given the language issue.

I have more than 50 k in my accounts. 

Maybe you have to have 50k in each one. Have you tried the Krungsri app as I suggested? 

"I have BKK Bank, K-Bank and Krungsri. None of them has contacted me. " - that is the point

What is the point? It's still two months out.

It is very simple, there has been no uniform clear announcement.

So? I don't go to the bank to make transfers anyway, do you? If online transfers quit working, I'll go down and have my picture taken. 

But sure, you die on the hill of it is all going to plan ????  

I think you and the rest of the guys worried about it ought to get together and stage a demonstration in front of the Bank of Thailand and demand clarification.

What do you think might happen in the event you are unable to transfer 50K per transaction until you go down to have a picture taken? 

54 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think you and the rest of the guys worried about it ought to get together and stage a demonstration in front of the Bank of Thailand and demand clarification.

Yeah, how dare we just ask about what is going on and ask for some clarification. But you can engage in the dumb hyperbolics if you want. 

25 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Yeah, how dare we just ask about what is going on and ask for some clarification.

What do you need clarified? What is going on is that in six weeks or so you will have to go to a branch and have a photo taken. 

25 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

But you can engage in the dumb hyperbolics if you want. 

You mean hyperbolics like "But sure, you die on the hill of it is all going to plan..."

I was at my Bangkok Bank's small branch - their main business today was taking pictures for facial recognition. 

I myself have never received any message from Bangkok Bank regarding facial recognition. Staff in the branch were asking every Thai customer if they came to take a picture - but they didn't ask the foreigners.

On 5/6/2023 at 11:57 AM, scorecard said:

. She quickly explained that banks (because of BOT regulations) now record the Thai pink card ID number where it's been issued becaue it will never change,whereas pasport numbers expire and therefor need to be updated in the bank records every few years.

Supervisor said please let me change the bank reords to your pink ID card number and I can do it right now in a few seconds. All done. 

I have accounts at 2 branches of Bangkok Bank. Both explained to me that it is neither required nor possible to register the pink ID card number if the account has been opened with a passport. It isn't even possible to register it in addition to the passport, much less to register it instead of the passport.

It would be possible if I had the white book, possibly the red book and maybe the blue book (white book and blue book mean PR). 

BTW both branches called head office for instructions. 

Edited by Lorry
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Lorry said:

I have accounts at 2 branches of Bangkok Bank. Both explained to me that it is neither required nor possible to register the pink ID card number if the account has been opened with a passport. It isn't even possible to register it in addition to the passport, much less to register it instead of the passport.

It would be possible if I had the white book, possibly the red book and maybe the blue book (white book and blue book mean PR). 

Further evidence farang are going to have a problem with this and will probably need to visit a branch to do those transfers, no use in a medical emergency 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lorry said:

I have several accounts at Krungsri, one of which was opened with the pink ID. But they would not change an existing account opened with a passport to the pink ID. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Further evidence farang are going to have a problem with this and will probably need to visit a branch to do those transfers, no use in a medical emergency 

We still have six weeks to get it figured out. In any event, if you have a medical emergency, you could still transfer $200K a day to the hospital. I generally use a credit card at the hospital.

This seems pretty clear to me:

Krungsri.thumb.jpg.af4e0d5837ea7e360f614f77c878c876.jpg

I'm not too worried about this as far as my Thai bank accounts go. What IS more worrying, for me, is if it's introduced in UK - and, personally, I think that's almost inevitable - where I keep most of my meagre savings for occasional transfer to Thailand. Going back to UK just for a photo at the bank branch won't be a sensible option. My UK bank don't make their mobile app. available in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, MartinL said:

I'm not too worried about this as far as my Thai bank accounts go. What IS more worrying, for me, is if it's introduced in UK - and, personally, I think that's almost inevitable - where I keep most of my meagre savings for occasional transfer to Thailand. Going back to UK just for a photo at the bank branch won't be a sensible option. My UK bank don't make their mobile app. available in Thailand.

My U.K. banking app is accessible in Thailand ( without use of a VPN ). Facial recognition is now being used on the app to replace the use of the card reader . Used it last week to add a new account for a payment.

I don't understand why financial institutions are so intent on having us use our phone for all transactions. Facial recognition for me is hit-and-miss.  Half the time it tells me it doesn't recognize my face.

It's the same with Google's new verification system. The main purpose it seems to me is to make sure you are always logged in to your Google account and give Google complete access to your phone.

Personally, I feel much more secure using my PC, which , of course, doesn't have facial recognition capabilities.  You can argue that phones are more convenient but maybe it would be better for people if spending their money wasn't quite so easy.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, MartinL said:

My UK bank don't make their mobile app. available in Thailand.

Do you mean not available on google playstore? if so you just need to set up a UK google playstore account, i toggle between Thailand and UK depending if i need to install something not available

Edited by scubascuba3

1 hour ago, jaywalker2 said:

I don't understand why financial institutions are so intent on having us use our phone for all transactions. Facial recognition for me is hit-and-miss.  Half the time it tells me it doesn't recognize my face.

It's the same with Google's new verification system. The main purpose it seems to me is to make sure you are always logged in to your Google account and give Google complete access to your phone.

Personally, I feel much more secure using my PC, which , of course, doesn't have facial recognition capabilities.  You can argue that phones are more convenient but maybe it would be better for people if spending their money wasn't quite so easy.

I like using a desktop PC as well, but getting it down to the ATM for a cardless withdrawal is a hassle. 

58 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Do you mean not available on google playstore? if so you just need to set up a UK google playstore account, i toggle between Thailand and UK depending if i need to install something not available

No, I mean that the app. isn't available to Thai (among many other) mobile phone numbers. 

Just to make certain, I just tried to download the app. again. Popup says "Not available in your country or region".

Edited by MartinL

19 minutes ago, MartinL said:

No, I mean that the app. isn't available to Thai (among many other) mobile phone numbers. 

Just to make certain, I just tried to download the app. again. Popup says "Not available in your country or region".

As i said it's a playstore thing you need to change to access