Facial recognition required for some online services from Thai banks

snoop1130

24 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And would it perhaps be in Thai only?

Nope it's in English if you mean the message. 

There seems to be confusion\conflicting versions from different banks and sources as to whether it's for Thai only or foreigners or both. I'll be stopping at the Krungsri bank and checking. It makes no difference to me either way. 

10 minutes ago, Dan O said:

There seems to be confusion\conflicting versions from different banks and sources as to whether it's for Thai only or foreigners or both. I'll be stopping at the Krungsri bank and checking. It makes no difference to me either way. 

Well from what I read Bangkok Bank are performing now, my other bank, I read  a post that they claimed it was for Thais only, then another that they were not ready. Bit of a chore getting into and around town these days.... not like there is much parking near the bank head offices.

4 hours ago, Dan O said:

Yes, the text of the pop-up message displayed in the Krungsri app is a bit confusing, probably a bad translation from Thai. They obviously mean that Thai nationals must show their ID card, foreigners must show their passport.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

...Bit of a chore getting into and around town these days.... not like there is much parking near the bank head offices.

Can't you go to any branch?

6 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Seems that banks in Australia are aiming to do 99%of all banking by internet and by phone and at the same time close branches and reduce the total number of ATM machines.

A few months back I got into a pleasant conversation with a Thailand bank call center officer. She confirmed that her bank has the same policy.

She also mentioned that her bank has done a lot of work to make call center officers a lot more knowledgeable about every question a customer might ask and to make it much easier for call center staff to see / find additional information.

And they are upgrading their ability to response quickly to telephone calls. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Yes, the text of the pop-up message displayed in the Krungsri app is a bit confusing, probably a bad translation from Thai. They obviously mean that Thai nationals must show their ID card, foreigners must show their passport.

No, its asking for a facial photo to be taken and kept on file. A couple others I know with a Krungsri accts went in and did some kind of photo record??? 

It may be completely in error but either way I'll be stopping by the local branch and get it taken care of one way or the other. 

I think it should be for all and hopefully may cut down on the scammers pulling large amounts. Just my opinion 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Not sure about all banks, but when I updated my passport at K-Bank I had to go to the branch where I opened my account. 

I didn't. I went to my new local K Bank to get the K+ app working. They looked at my passport and saw that their passport number records were out of date.

The lady started to change my passport number but at the same time a supervior had joined the conversation and she noticed my pink ID card. She quickly explained that banks (because of BOT regulations) now record the Thai pink card ID number where it's been issued becaue it will never change,whereas pasport numbers expire and therefor need to be updated in the bank records every few years.

Supervisor said please let me change the bank reords to your pink ID card number and I can do it right now in a few seconds. All done. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

I didn't. I went to my new local K Bank to get the K+ app working. They looked at my passport and saw that their passport number records were out of date.

The lady started to change my passport number but at the same time a supervior had joined the conversation and she noticed my pink ID card. She quickly explained that banks (because of BOT regulations) now record the Thai pink card ID number where it's been issued becaue it will never change,whereas pasport numbers expire and therefor need to be updated in the bank records every few years.

Supervisor said please let me change the bank reords to your pink ID card number and I can do it right now in a few seconds. All done. 

Did you not have to show your old and new passport? 

I only have one account on the pink ID, for my Thai social medicine account. 

6 minutes ago, Dan O said:

No, its asking for a facial photo to be taken and kept on file. A couple others I know with a Krungsri accts went in and did some kind of photo record??? 

It may be completely in error but either way I'll be stopping by the local branch and get it taken care of one way or the other. 

I think it should be for all and hopefully may cut down on the scammers pulling large amounts. Just my opinion 

Agree, bank scams are now rampant in many countries, if facial scans /eye scans advanced photos can help so be it.

Eighteen months ago I was in Australia, I waaked in a big WESTPAC branch. Security guy quickly appraoched me and said 'the autmatic scan when you entred the branch doesn't match the datbase. He took me to a service officer, she did a different check to confim my ID then quickly siad 'just one moment let me get a new facial scan / photo', all done in 2 seconds from her desk.  

Next time at that branch walked straight in. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Did you not have to show your old and new passport? 

I only have one account on the pink ID, for my Thai social medicine account. 

Only had the new passport with me, they didn't ask to see my old passport. They did have a scan of my old passport on their screen. This is K Bank.

You mentioned "I only have one account on the pink ID, for my Thai social medicine account."

I don't understand what you mean, can you please explain further. 

Edited by scorecard

46 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Only had the new passport with me, they didn't ask to see my old passport. They did have a scan of my old passport on their screen. This is K Bank.

Yeah, mine was K-Bank/Thai-Farmer

46 minutes ago, scorecard said:

You mentioned "I only have one account on the pink ID, for my Thai social medicine account."

I don't understand what you mean, can you please explain further. 

Krungsri, what do you not understand? Thai social required an account with Thai spelling of name. 

I did a transfer of > 50K Baht today using the Bangkok Bank mobile app. 

I suppose this means I’m not impacted by the new requirement, somehow? I opened my account within the past few months and they may have taken a photo at that time (can’t remember). 

Edited by tai4de2

8 minutes ago, tai4de2 said:

I suppose this means I’m not impacted by the new requirement, somehow? I opened my account within the past few months and they may have taken a photo at that time (can’t remember). 

The new regs come into effect later this month, not in play yet.

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, mine was K-Bank/Thai-Farmer

Krungsri, what do you not understand? Thai social required an account with Thai spelling of name. 

I guess you mean the Thai Social Security Fund?

If that's corrrect, a farang buddy pays his monthly member contributions on his Krung Thai cyber banking screen, all in English.

To generate the monthly payment he clicks on one of his favorites (favorite / regular payments) all showing in English.

But after he completed the transaction in English on his KT Cyber banking screen maybe the transaction sends the data to the Social Security Fund bank in pasa Thai.

Is that the picture?

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I guess you mean the Thai Social Security Fund?

If that's corrrect, a farang buddy pays his monthly member contributions on his Krung Thai cyber banking screen, all in English.

To generate the monthly payment he clicks on one of his favorites (favorite / regular payments) all showing in English.

But after he completed the transaction in English on his KT Cyber banking screen maybe the transaction sends the data to the Social Security Fund bank in pasa Thai.

Is that the picture?

Mine is for my social medical payment. I'm set up for direct debit for the monthly payments and use a dedicated account. Apparently, without my Thai language name from my pink ID on the account, I would have to make the payments myself each month. 

2 hours ago, tai4de2 said:

It's not till the end of June....the 27th I think...that the banks have to implement the BOT directive.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Mine is for my social medical payment. I'm set up for direct debit for the monthly payments and use a dedicated account. Apparently, without my Thai language name from my pink ID on the account, I would have to make the payments myself each month. 

Is "...social medical payment. ..." the same as Thai Social Seciruty Fund." 

On 5/4/2023 at 9:57 PM, fusion58 said:

There was never any need (or, moreover, any express requirement) to advise the bank re: my new passport number until now.

I was issued a new passport about a year ago, and this fact has had no impact on my ability to use the bank's mobile banking app or debit card or to conduct any other bank business - despite my not having "advised" the bank.

Sure enough, but suppose you lost your ATM card or your passbook and you went to the bank to get a new one. Wouldn't they want to compare your passport with the one they had a copy of in the computer? As soon as you get a new passport: 1) notify the bank (and your broker if you have one) 2) notify AIS/True/Dtac.

31 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Is "...social medical payment. ..." the same as Thai Social Seciruty Fund." 

I don't know. I do know that it is a payment required to keep my Thai social medical insurance active since I retired. 

9 hours ago, Dan O said:

No, its asking for a facial photo to be taken and kept on file. A couple others I know with a Krungsri accts went in and did some kind of photo record??? ...

Yes, they are asking for a facial photo to be taken and if you are Thai they ask for your ID, if you are a foreigner they ask for your passport.

5 hours ago, couchpotato said:

The new regs come into effect later this month, not in play yet.

The message of Krungsri bank says they will start face recognition for identification on 27 June 2023. I have not yet seen the message on this subject from other banks.

7 hours ago, Puccini said:

The message of Krungsri bank says they will start face recognition for identification on 27 June 2023. I have not yet seen the message on this subject from other banks.

Same here, I've received sms and notification on app for Krungsri (in English), nothing from Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn. Funny that Krungsri Pattaya Klang branch saying farang no need, not the first time Krungsri staff have given duff info

Edited by scubascuba3

18 hours ago, Maestro said:

I am unsure as I suspected limited facilities.... but fair idea, as I have one 'on the way', although it opens late. 

10 hours ago, Maestro said:

Yes, they are asking for a facial photo to be taken and if you are Thai they ask for your ID, if you are a foreigner they ask for your passport.

Yes that's correct. They also want your passbook 

On 5/6/2023 at 7:01 AM, Yellowtail said:

So the banks are trying to make peoples accounts more secure, and this is an issue because....

and literally no one has said that making accounts ore secure is an issue. 

What is an issue is the mixed messaging and no clear announcements 

2 hours ago, Lee65 said:

Thought they called it a book bank

its the exact same thing, call it whatever you want to, passbook, saving acct book, bank book deposit book.