8 years in prison for ex-Yala governor over GT-200 bomb detector deal

snoop1130

Wow! corrupt officials actually being punished.

Interesting to note that their corrupt activity was against Thai interests and not fleecing foreigners

• Like 2

I remember this case.  They were importing a hand-held device that was actually a modified golf ball detector.  Not sure if they bought them from the English couple that sold them to a good number of governments, but the whole incident was oh-so-typically-Thailand.

Here's a link about the matter from 2014. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29459896

golf ball.jpg

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

I remember this case.  They were importing a hand-held device that was actually a modified golf ball detector.  Not sure if they bought them from the English couple that sold them to a good number of governments, but the whole incident was oh-so-typically-Thailand.

Here's a link about the matter from 2014. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29459896

golf ball.jpg

Not sure about it being typically Thailand - as the BBC article shows, governments and security organisations all around the world were fooled into buying these useless devices.

UK government agencies and even UK military personnel were also used to helped promote the devices. So perhaps this was more typically British than anything else?

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, nahkit said:

What are the chances of anyone from the armed forces being held accountable?

They would need to purchase the optional 'military personnel finder' card to install in their GT200 in order to locate them.

The article is a little vague, talking about "malfeasance" but I'm wondering what exactly the ex-governor (and the other officials) were found guilty of.

I thought the whole basis of this scam is that people were fooled into believing these devices worked. Was it the case that these local officials were guilty of more than just being gullible?

Were they for instance, supposed to have known that the devices were bogus but bought them anyway?