Money in the Bank-A friend has confused me

14 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

SiSaKet and Buriram for starters. 

I am using Buriram and I never had to show up (after going for the retirement extension) to show that the money was still in the account after I got my "year" stamp. Also on renewal date I only have to give them a 6 months statement and that is accepted. However YMMV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

I am using Buriram and I never had to show up (after going for the retirement extension) to show that the money was still in the account after I got my "year" stamp. Also on renewal date I only have to give them a 6 months statement and that is accepted. However YMMV

Great post. But what is 'YMMV'?

Sometimes best not listen to friends especially about age. Either you heard it wrong or friend smoking some weed. 

Bangkok Bank this is what I do never had a problem. Of course everyone office does thing their own way.

Go to BB 24 hours prior to renew update your book make a deposit then ask for letter for immigration usually a hundred baht.  

Thereafter I go to copy shop and xerox all pages of bankbook., 

Be sure to sign all copies place it with letter.

You noted you have 1 million  in bank untouchable therefore assume not doing monthly income NOT need 12 month of Statement! 

Edited by thailand49

On 5/4/2023 at 7:01 AM, geejay said:

I am aware that the funds have to be in place 3 Months before and 2 Months after.

You need 800k baht in your bank account two month before your application, and three month after your extended stay is granted. Thereafter the account cannot go below 400k baht until two month before your next application for extended stay, by which time the bank account needs to be topped up to 800k baht again.

I've been using the deposit method for extension of stay based on retirement since 2006. I also have Bangkok Bank, but in periods I used others for slightly higher interest, also SCB. My method and advice is to use a separate account for the extension-of-stay deposit, so it is easy and clear for the immigration officer to check the funds and balance. I also show my daily expenses account to where I move my retirement living expenses funds from abroad and withdraw money.

If you can afford the keep 800k baht permanently in the bank – and thereby don't get nightmares about topping the funds up – then a 12-month fixed account gives the best interest. That's what I use and once a year I withdraw the interest, so there is always a clean 800k baht balance...:thumbsup: