Young Polish Woman Dies in Motorbike Accident in Chalong, Phuket

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat 

Chalong – A 33-year-old female Polish rider died after she crashed her motorbike and slid under a trailer truck in Chalong, Phuket.

A local rescue team reported they were notified of the accident on Thursday (May 4th) on the Chao Fa West Road in front of a housing estate in Chalong, Mueang Phuket.

They arrived at the scene to find the damaged motocross motorbike on the road. Nearby, they found the body of a female rider who was identified by the Chalong Police as a 33-year-old female Polish national.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/05/04/young-polish-woman-dies-in-motorbike-accident-in-chalong-phuket/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-05-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A 33-year-old female Polish rider died after she crashed her motorbike and slid under a trailer truck in Chalong, Phuket.

From the link:

The Chalong Police told the Phuket Express that CCTV footage shows the Polish motorbike rider was trying to overtake the truck from the left side before she lost control, crashed, and slid under the truck

Not the best manoeuvre to make.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I seem to recognize that bike not your usual rent a bike and not many poo ying would be riding a bike like that, I thought she was Russian, anyway RIP girl 

Note to everyone else never go up the inside of a big truck like that

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Theres an endless stream of these stories.

I don't think it's right to assume that every tourist is inexperienced riding.

However lots are and when i see tourists on the road they make me nervous as they're unpredictable.

As opposed to Thais who tend to ride in a straight line and check their mirrors.

Also the culture here is that it's unfortunately common to use 2 lanes when taking a corner and also commonly accepted that you can just pull out in front of oncoming traffic.

Both highly dangerous.

So yeh overtaking a truck on the inside taking a corner is rolling the dice with your life.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DrDave said:

Doesn't look like the type of motorbike typically rented by tourists. On the other hand, most tourists don't know that they should never overtake a vehicle on the left side.

Agree it doesn't look like your typical rental but there is a sticker on the side for Turtla, which is a motorcycle rental company.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sikishrory said:

However lots are and when i see tourists on the road they make me nervous as they're unpredictable.

As opposed to Thais who tend to ride in a straight line and check their mirrors.

Also the culture here is that it's unfortunately common to use 2 lanes when taking a corner and also commonly accepted that you can just pull out in front of oncoming traffic.

Both highly dangerous.

So yeh overtaking a truck on the inside taking a corner is rolling the dice with your life.

Have you ever riden in Thailand? I hope your being sarcastic with the observation that Thais always check their mirrors and drive in a straight line!?! Every schooldays I used to drive 15 km to drop my children off and every day there would be vehicles pulling out in front of me (minimum x3) vehicles cutting right across in front of me. Then bikes riding at night with no lights and my favorite bag blocking their head light. Oh and let's not forget driving and riding the wrong way on a road. Worst and most dangerous drivers/riders I've come across. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, roo860 said:

Undertake will get you quickly to the undertakers.

When I'm in my car I get overtaken on the outside and inside by motorcyclists, and on one thread here, or maybe a few, posters have argued that if I am going to turn left I should check in my mirror just in case there is a motorcycle coming up on the inside, which they do more often than not, because I would be prosecuted/at fault – – so what is the case?

I agree about undertaking trucks is a risky business.

And just to add to the post, when I am travelling up Patong Hill, very often there is a slow truck/bus/dilapidated baht bus travelling in the right-hand lane, so basically everybody has to "undertake"!!

12 hours ago, DrDave said:

Doesn't look like the type of motorbike typically rented by tourists. On the other hand, most tourists don't know that they should never overtake a vehicle on the left side.

You forget in Thailand, motordrivers ARE on the left lane and therefor most cars ARE on the right lane,even slow driving trucks. Also as a car driver, you have to overtake on the left if the slower one isnt going to the left, as it should be. 

Mostly with these articles, they show the recording if there was a cam available. Now they dont, so I think it is questionable. 

Not long ago there was an experienced motordriver also "slid under the truck".

Again i see the motor wasnt under the truck, it looks quite good.

The woman just could have had her motor license and was experienced, it is not told in the story. The type of bike is not the most common one to rent. I have my doubts.

Cant say what i might think, otherwise it would be considered trolling.

On 5/5/2023 at 6:50 AM, xtrnuno41 said:

You forget in Thailand, motordrivers ARE on the left lane and therefor most cars ARE on the right lane,even slow driving trucks. Also as a car driver, you have to overtake on the left if the slower one isnt going to the left, as it should be. 

Mostly with these articles, they show the recording if there was a cam available. Now they dont, so I think it is questionable. 

Not long ago there was an experienced motordriver also "slid under the truck".

Again i see the motor wasnt under the truck, it looks quite good.

The woman just could have had her motor license and was experienced, it is not told in the story. The type of bike is not the most common one to rent. I have my doubts.

Cant say what i might think, otherwise it would be considered trolling.

I was referring to the common situation in which there is a single lane for each direction, which was the case in this accident as evidenced by the photo in the linked article. Someone overtaking using that slim margin of pavement on the left can be surprised by any number of things that block that area further down the road.

On 5/4/2023 at 10:52 PM, BritScot said:

Have you ever riden in Thailand? I hope your being sarcastic with the observation that Thais always check their mirrors and drive in a straight line!?! Every schooldays I used to drive 15 km to drop my children off and every day there would be vehicles pulling out in front of me (minimum x3) vehicles cutting right across in front of me. Then bikes riding at night with no lights and my favorite bag blocking their head light. Oh and let's not forget driving and riding the wrong way on a road. Worst and most dangerous drivers/riders I've come across. 

No he's right. Thai men ride recklessly but they actually have decent riding skills.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2023 at 8:19 AM, sikishrory said:

Both highly dangerous.

I agree the main problem with many tourists on bikes is their unpredictability.

Thai often drive recklessly but they're predictable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rabiedabruce said:

Annnnnd another one. Just read of someone named Liam Kirby. Advice for you guvner, implement a decent public transport system and affordable taxis but you won't will you. No money in it. Shameful.

People have tried but got shot down in flames, 

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, rabiedabruce said:

Advice for you guvner, implement a decent public transport system and affordable taxis but you won't will you. No money in it. Shameful.

In fairness, Grab taxis aren't expensive and readily available.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, JayClay said:

Grab taxis are horrendously expensive in Phuket. Or at least they were last time I was there.

Still are expensive, I always recommend Bolt, is good for local use but no airport runs

12 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

What constitutes horrendously expensive versus getting squashed by a truck?

Before covid they were charging a surcharge, I don't use them so I don't know if that is still the case, 

Edited by ChipButty

On 5/5/2023 at 5:01 AM, ezzra said:

The header says it all, a young tourist, probably not used to ride motorcycles in her country and not familiar with Thailan's sometimes brutal driving conditions, and this is not an isolated case.

"Sometimes" ????

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang