where's this POA form?

as a motorbike buyer.....

and where do you get cheap 3rd party insurance?

oh yeah does the tax carry on?

what's those places with the blue and white gear symbol for?

cheers

Edited by driver52

You get a very basic 3rd party insurance when you tax a vehicle, but that does not cover damage to vehicles only people. Those test centers, also sell insurance, and will get the road tax for you, if you don't want to go to a busy Land transport office, they also test vehicles older than 7yrs.  what is a POA form? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

You get a very basic 3rd party insurance when you tax a vehicle, but that does not cover damage to vehicles only people. Those test centers, also sell insurance, and will get the road tax for you, if you don't want to go to a busy Land transport office, they also test vehicles older than 7yrs.  what is a POA form? 

Power of Attorney, apparently the seller doesn't need to go to the DLT office

they just sign the green book and fill in a POA and Transfer of Ownership forms....

so does the road tax continue to 'live' with the car? in the UK you need to buy it from scratch again, yeah taxes eh.....

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, driver52 said:

in the UK you need to buy it from scratch again, yeah taxes eh.

But this is Thailand, not the UK. The road tax and compulsory insurance (p.r.b) go with the vehicle, do yes, they "continue to live" till the expiration date.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

But this is Thailand, not the UK. The road tax and compulsory insurance (p.r.b) go with the vehicle, do yes, they "continue to live" till the expiration date.

sure thanks...yes I was being sarcastic and having a dig at the UK and taxes, my 2 fave bugbears.........q the nhs lovers, to tell us we need taxes to pay for our health, lmao.......nice day to you sir

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

I would recommend getting getting extra insurance, its not that expensive

thanks, can I do that online or do I go to the shops? shopping centres eh, another mad western invention.......

whatever happened to swapping our skills at the market place? ????

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, driver52 said:

thanks, can I do that online or do I go to the shops? shopping centres eh, another mad western invention.......

whatever happened to swapping our skills at the market place? ????

You can buy it at those test centers, ( i buy mine there, while having the car checked, in and out in 15min, they do all the leg work, for 200baht+50b and they send all docs back EMS to my house, if you don't want to collect yourself) and the government transport offices have agent/brokers inside also, you can do it on line but i prefer a place i can visit if any probs.

edit; Some of those test shops will also do the registration paperwork for you, if they are falang friendly.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, driver52 said:

cheers, what's the actual law re having a test done? annually? is it a fixed price set by the government?

I don't recall if there is a charge by the Govt. once a vehicle is 7yrs old (or is it 5?) by law test every year, but  200b for a car and maybe cheaper for a M/C, at a test shop, is well worth it, I only use them now, no hanging around transport office for sometimes hours.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, driver52 said:

thanks but that one specifically says 'as my representative to submit the Thai passport application for my child' ????

There is a website called Google, it contains numerous links to various pages that have the power of attorney form.

Vehicle transfer form is also handy when it comes to buying/selling cars and bikes.... it too can be found on the website called Google.

OP get out of the house with a Thai friend and go see for yourself.

At a DTL office they have all papers for sell and buy.

There are Insurance companies at the DLT offices that will produce the compulsory CTPL policy. 

A test center you will need if you buy a bike 5 years or older.  

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

OP get out of the house with a Thai friend and go see for yourself.

At a DTL office they have all papers for sell and buy

i haven't got any Thai friends, I've been on a bike ride already AND I want all the paperwork done BEFORE I go to the DTL office....

but thanks for the headsup on CPTL

1 minute ago, driver52 said:

i haven't got any Thai friends, I've been on a bike ride already AND I want all the paperwork done BEFORE I go to the DTL office....

but thanks for the headsup on CPTL

Bike shops usually have the DLT paperwork.

35 minutes ago, driver52 said:

ok but I'm trying to buy a 'charlie cheapie' off some stranger on t'internet ????

Yes but you still go into a bike shop and ask no ones going eat you, the only one that can screw you at the moment is the guy on the internet.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, driver52 said:

cheers, what's the actual law re having a test done? annually? is it a fixed price set by the government?

To get a new tax disk for a bike more than 5 years old you need to have the test done. every year after and get the compulsory insurance. 

I don't know if big bikes are different but a standard mc will cost you 60 baht for the test (for which you don't get to see any result details and it is pretty basic), 360 baht or so for the insurance and 100 baht for the road tax sticker.

If you ask the guys at a cog place to do it for you as suggested there will be a service charge on top.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, topt said:

To get a new tax disk for a bike more than 5 years old you need to have the test done. every year after and get the compulsory insurance. 

I don't know if big bikes are different but a standard mc will cost you 60 baht for the test (for which you don't get to see any result details and it is pretty basic), 360 baht or so for the insurance and 100 baht for the road tax sticker.

If you ask the guys at a cog place to do it for you as suggested there will be a service charge on top.

Big bikes same price for test. 60baht. 

The CTPL cost goes by cc. 

Like my 900 costs 640 baht. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Big bikes same price for test. 60baht. 

The CTPL cost goes by cc. 

Like my 900 costs 640 baht. 

interesting.......I got a quote on tinternet for insuring a 150cc - 2300 baht lol

so it should cost like <400 baht from a shop going by your 900?

Edited by driver52

57 minutes ago, driver52 said:

interesting.......I got a quote on tinternet for insuring a 150cc - 2300 baht lol

I would guess the quote is for more than just the compulsory.........

Similar to having first/second/third class extra insurance on a car which as somebody earlier pointed out you may want as CTPL only covers up to a certain amount for injury.

2 hours ago, driver52 said:

Recently my 17 year old Airblade was 540 baht for test cost 60, 100 road tax, the rest CTPL ins cost and 40 baht for the test station taking book etc and getting tax and CTPL from DLT office.

1 hour ago, topt said:

I would guess the quote is for more than just the compulsory.........

Similar to having first/second/third class extra insurance on a car which as somebody earlier pointed out you may want as CTPL only covers up to a certain amount for injury.

Well lucky he can get it after more years Insurance companies won't insure bikes, they won't insure mine there too old. 

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well lucky he can get it after more years Insurance companies won't insure bikes, they won't insure mine there too old. 

I have an NV a real old banger 23yrs old, no problem buying #2 insurance, doesn't cover the car, but covers third party damaged property, and hospital bills for them, i think up to 2m baht. edit ; about 6k a year.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Since when please? I always bought a car that was Taxed & MOTed.

since like a while ago....the MOT comes with the car, tax doesn't

'When you buy a vehicle, the tax or SORN doesn’t come with it. You’ll need to get new vehicle tax before using the vehicle'

source

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I have an NV a real old banger 23yrs old, no problem buying #2 insurance, doesn't cover the car, but covers third party damaged property, and hospital bills for them, i think up to 2m baht. edit ; about 6k a year.

Have tried many for extra cover but they say bike too old it's a 30 year old classic which something you can insure in many countries except it seems Thailand.

I give them a try if you can get me the name thanks.