It's been "a little warm" so ... today was "fan fixing day".

Crossy

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

No swing, swing noise, fix it for 175Baht (swing motor), 3 screws and 2 wires, 10 minutes.

You are paying way too much, checked my recent order from Lazada (KSPTHAI shop) and the swing motor was 58baht.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ignis said:

Crossy,  at what stage do you give up on a fan ?

If it's going to take more then 15 minutes to diagnose and repair (it's not like there's a lot to go wrong) then it gets consigned to the "breaking for spares" pile (blades, cage, mouldings).

What usually happens is they start to look too tatty for Madam's liking and so are shipped off to the family dwelling where they live out their twilight years ???? Or get completely wrecked and end up in the skip!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lom said:

You are paying way too much, checked my recent order from Lazada (KSPTHAI shop) and the swing motor was 58baht.

Yeah, there's an errant "1" in there, the last lot were 75 Baht ???? 

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

So you waited until four fans needed fixing?

I suppose doing jobs in bulk saves some time.

More a case of putting it off until the black looks from Madam become too regular ????

We had a leak on the water pump, just a drip. It started when I moved the pump during last-year's flooding! I fixed it in April. It actually only took 20 minutes!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, h90 said:

Now I try Mitsubishi

I've got two and really impressed.  Uses less electricity with a quiet brushless motor for quiet operation.

Easy to clean. 

I use it at the foot of the bed along with Aircon. 

Screenshot_20230508_131524_Lazada.jpg.504c3c5afb9d54c1a75e35d819488b11.jpg

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2023 at 5:57 PM, Crossy said:
On 5/6/2023 at 5:54 PM, EVENKEEL said:

So what's the problem when the fan stops spinning. A little push helps but after awhile even that doesn't work. Bet I've gotten rid of at least 3 fans because of that. 

That's almost certainly a failed run capacitor.

10 Baht and 5 minutes to fix ????

I have had them almost stop spinning or rotating very slowly, found out take the coves off and put a drop of 2-strok oil, on the motor bushes, they get dry, front and back, or Boots as Thais call them, normally works. 

Have had some bushes replaced in one fan, local guy did the job 200 baht kept the fan going for another 18 months. 

• Like 1

Comparing a Sharp brand  fan a Atari fan don't deserve the name to be named a good fan ....cheap ...yes ????

Sharp a very stable fan with a long wire ????

I wish I could buy them here in my E.U. home country ????

• Confused 1

"If you are really skint then there are chaps in Ban-Mo who re-wind the motors sitting by the side of the road!"

Reminds me of my days working for Ampex where there were rooms full of women operators who sat all day looking under a microscope and winding nyleze wires around the ferrite video heads. Yes, it was a woman's job as men didn't have the patience for the repetitive and tedious work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Over the years I've done the oil trick, replaced motors, replaced this spinning gear thing 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAaVNlDlK2ntMzskYrtUlNaBSpIyTK1Lxg2bCPBS9EJrLwHoy8

and replaced this plastic แกนเฟืองขับ เฟืองมอเตอร์ส่าย พัดลม HATARI ฮาตาริ 18" นิ้ว ติดผนัง โคจร ยาว 37mm เฟืองพัดลม อะไหล่พัดลม

Like Crossy, when the fan is on it's death bed, it's stripped for parts or sent off to the inlaws.

I regularly, dismantle ,clean and oil our fans ,  replace any faulty parts , have

some that are over 25 years still looking good and going strong ,because of

maintenance , whenever a tenant leaves our properties they usually leave a

fan or two , dirty , seized ,I clean them up ,oil them ,good as new , give them

to poor people in the area , with instructions on how to clean and maintain

them , but I suspect no notice taken , Thais are usually not good at maintaining

anything.......... 

regards worgeordie