It's been "a little warm" so ... today was "fan fixing day".

Crossy

I don't have to do anything to ensure my GF keeps me around, except a flow of funds.

Having said that, it is good to have a hobby. I might take up fanarkeling.

• Haha 1

Crossy,  I do have a 16"  one meter high stand fan here that went pop inside and after pulling it to bits I can see where the copper wiring on the coil burnt.   Any idea how much a 16" motor is or maybe just throw in the trash and buy another new fan.    Does 300 baht sound about right for a motor ?

Edited by steven100

21 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Crossy,  I do have a 16"  one meter high stand fan here that went pop inside and after pulling it to bits I can see where the copper wiring on the coil burnt.   Any idea how much a 16" motor is or maybe just throw in the trash and buy another new fan.    Does 300 baht sound about right for a motor ?

Pretty close I reckon, 350 Baht for a complete motor: -

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/16-hatari-fan-motor-i528412441-s948992036.html

Check you are ordering the right beastie, there are several varieties.

You can get just the coil assembly for less $$$ ???? 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hatari-16-46mm-25mm-i4091026835-s15970520087.html

Again, there are several variants.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

One stand-fan has had the thermal fuse replaced (as did one of the wall fans). No, I didn't just short out the thermal fuses!

Impressed.

Did you learn this online or YouTube?

Next week hopefully cooling down with rain showers. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, steven100 said:

buy a new big fan.....

• Like 1

I strongly disagree with Hatari fans....

Have some wall mounted.....Almost new: For one the swing does not work, another the swing works, but bad sound. A third the fan blades are not balanced so it has a lot vibrations which makes noise....And beside the swing not working, the problem exist when they were brand new.

I considered to fix things, but than I was too lazy. Played with the idea to make a fan from 3D printed parts myself but really as much as I would love to do it as hobby I don't have the time. Now I try Mitsubishi. But I think Hatari is bad quality for the price.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2023 at 5:54 PM, EVENKEEL said:

So what's the problem when the fan stops spinning. A little push helps but after awhile even that doesn't work. Bet I've gotten rid of at least 3 fans because of that. 

Take off cover , blow out dust and crud ..............WD40.........good to go.

2 hours ago, h90 said:

Have some wall mounted.....Almost new: For one the swing does not work, another the swing works, but bad sound. A third the fan blades are not balanced so it has a lot vibrations which makes noise....And beside the swing not working, the problem exist when they were brand new.

No swing, swing noise, fix it for 75Baht (swing motor), 3 screws and 2 wires, 10 minutes.

Hatari are definitely not a premium brand, but for those who don't mind them breaking occasionally then ...

Edited by Crossy
Fixed the price of the swing motor

Just now, Crossy said:

No swing, swing noise, fix it for 175Baht (swing motor), 3 screws and 2 wires, 10 minutes.

Hatari are definitely not a premium brand, but for those who don't mind them breaking occasionally then ...

Dying after one year would be more OK than bad as new product and that wall mounted with remote are not that cheap...(I can't remember but something in the 2000-3000 Baht range, like 10 days of work for a low income labor). Not really an issue but I see/hear them every day clackclackclack....enough to annoy me, not enough to me doing something.
I'll report of the Mitsubishi are better

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'd change the run capacitor too whilst the lid is off.

And use Singer sewing-machine oil from a syringe not WD40.

Changing the capacitor is the solution for many problems....aircondition fan or compressor....like 30-50% of all the problems.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, h90 said:

I'll report of the Mitsubishi are better

Mitsubishi are (at least theoretically) a more "premium" appliance.

But looking on Lazada for "Mitsubishi fan parts" reveals 102 pages of bits that look remarkably similar (ok identical) to the Hatari equivalent.

You pay your money ...

Most of this stuff comes out of a few Chinese factories anyway (even the Japanese brands, at least at the lower cost end) and then gets "badge-engineered" and a price hike.

We are happy to continue with the Hatari ones, when the mouldings get too faded for Madam the fans get shunted off to family (who somehow manage to wreck them) and I end up buying a new one. At least I won't have to fix it for a while.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

But looking on Lazada for "Mitsubishi fan parts" reveals 102 pages of bits that look remarkably similar (ok identical) to the Hatari equivalent.

You pay your money ...

Most of this stuff comes out of a few Chinese factories anyway (even the Japanese brands, at least at the lower cost end) and then gets "badge-engineered" and a price hike.

We are happy to continue with the Hatari ones, when the mouldings get too faded for Madam the fans get shunted off to family (who somehow manage to wreck them) and I end up buying a new one. At least I won't have to fix it for a while.

I found a 16inch wall mounted with remote control for 2035 Baht including invoice for company (so we can give it for revenue department). Somewhere it says on Lazada (or Shopee...can't remember) "Made in Japan". No idea if it is true.....

I thought of taking an industrial motor 3 phase motor and put a controller on it and make a own fan that lasts for a 1000 years. But really not worth it....Normally something like a fan should run "forever" without any service.

• Like 1

So what's the problem when the fan stops spinning. A little push helps but after awhile even that doesn't work. Bet I've gotten rid of at least 3 fans because of that. 

A lack of lubrication.

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

Guy around our way charges 250 baht to fix fans. It's a fixed price whatever the issue. He does very well.

Seems like a pretty good deal vs 1,500 for a new fan.

If most of his fixes are 5 Baht capacitors / thermal fuses he can carry the occasional 300 Baht replacement motor ???? 

I must increase the amount of beer required :whistling:

• Love It 1

On 5/6/2023 at 3:15 PM, Crossy said:

So, three wall fans have got new swing-motors so they now actually swing rather than making nasty grinding noises.

One stand-fan has had the thermal fuse replaced (as did one of the wall fans). No, I didn't just short out the thermal fuses!

So you waited until four fans needed fixing?

I suppose doing jobs in bulk saves some time.

• Haha 1

Easy answer.I think it only needs a new capacitor.Dirt cheap on LAZADA.I changed my first one last year. I was a litle apprehensive but it was not too difficult at all.You only need a couple tools you probably already have around.Go to You Tube and look up capacitor replacement for fans and Bobs your uncle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

No swing, swing noise, fix it for 175Baht (swing motor), 3 screws and 2 wires, 10 minutes.

I lean towards Hatari but am open to other options.Which do you consider a premium brand please?

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

You pay your money ...

I believe you're on point there Crossy.The inner parts of these fans are mass produced in sweat shops in PRC.I can't believe Hatari or any other brand makes there own capacitors etc.

BTW I've tossed out many fans over the years because they wouldn't start or ran slow. Now I realize they only needed a replacement capacitor for 20 baht.

Same as a/c units. One of the a/c stopped working.The repairman showed me the old capacitor and charged me 1200 baht for the call.I kept the old one and went to a  dealer and bought the same one for 250 baht as a spare and used it on another unit 6 months later.Lesson learned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2023 at 6:42 PM, Crossy said:

Pretty close I reckon, 350 Baht for a complete motor: -

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/16-hatari-fan-motor-i528412441-s948992036.html

Check you are ordering the right beastie, there are several varieties.

You can get just the coil assembly for less $$$ ???? 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hatari-16-46mm-25mm-i4091026835-s15970520087.html

Again, there are several variants.

Crossy,  at what stage do you give up on a fan ?

My oldest stand fan is 19 years old last month, HATARI expensive in the day electronic load of functions.....

Done many repairs over the years + 2 new motors, last month woke up in the night the plastic housing broke and the blades/ + housing fell on the floor.  found and bought another motor housing, now it suddenly stopped yesterday motor buzzing but will not spin the fan  even with my hand help...  switch off and motor is spinning free..  new capacitor still will not work.. 

the case was blue, but is more faded grey these days, brittle with age.....  had a wall fan fall off the wall casing gave out with age....   

Over the years have been replacing some fans now buy Sharp as appear quieter and stronger

• Like 1