Man, 25, fighting for life in Thailand hospital after horror crash

anchadian

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Sometimes, yes, but not common. More common is they're not covered due to a lack of a valid license.

I believe you are correct , it appears to be a buyer beware product . With some policies there is a stipulation of a maximum engine size of 125 cc , therefore you rent a 150 cc motorcycle you could be in problems .

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, xylophone said:

If he had saved the money he had used for his full body tattoos, then perhaps there would be enough money in the kitty to help him – – priorities!

Are you sure you got the correct guy Xyl. Or you think about Aussie guy ?

Edited by LivinginKata

5 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Sure that I have LiK. 

I hope he survives of course, however as others have said on this and other threads/posts, driving in strange/foreign countries, one needs to be fully insured for not only damage, but accidents to oneself.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

To be honest I have been quite confused by all the accidents and incidents, and calls for 'fund me'. I think about chap died in Patong police holding cell.

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

To be honest I have been quite confused by all the accidents and incidents, and calls for 'fund me'. I think about chap died in Patong police holding cell.

Yes....apparently he hung himself, but who is to know the truth, this being Thailand!

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 11:49 AM, racket said:

If you own a bike in Thailand; you have to have mandatory insurance and pay annual motor tax. The insurance you get will cover health care costs as well as third-party costs should you incur damage to others. Hospitals will get reimbursed from the insurance company.

Not for the rider. It's 3rd party personal coverage only in case of injury to others. The mandatory insurance does not cover property damage either. 

Insurance on rental is only the mandatory 3rd party, so will never cover injury to rider or 3rd party property and MUST be properly licenced with a Thai licence (and maybe International drivers permit and overseas licence of correct category). 

For this reason, I have always had 1st class insurance on my bike, however payout for own medical is still limited to 50,000 Baht. Therefore, I always ensure that my medical insurance covers riding motorcycles for which I'm licenced.

18 hours ago, itsari said:

Travel insurance tourists take out from there home country often stipulate the use of motorcycles are not covered .

Yes. Or limited to 125cc and must be properly licenced in home country for such and helmeted too. The insurers are looking to get out easily. Any sniff of narcotics (alcohol or otherwise), and claim rejected.

Edited by soi3eddie