Thailand: you can leave but you must pay ฿1,000 more. Departures tax hailed as the kiss of death

webfact

55 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet in another OP running the revenue department is retracing its words.....oh what a tangled web which has been weaved.

Won't stop the excitement here :dry:

what about the 300 baht for the arrivals, will both be under consideration, it's cheaper to arrive then to depart 555 do any of these clowns has 5 cents of a brain

What a joke! 

I will stay as i don't want to pay the 1000 baht.

I wonder: where do they find this kind of intelligent people in Thailand who come up with this nonsense?

Edited by ThailandGuy
just wanted to add something

10 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Interesting. - I have heard of several stories before (when there was a departure tax of 500 baht) of people who had spent literally every baht they had and had nothing when they got to the airport. What are they going to do if they can't pay? Deport them? Make them stay a month longer? Stupid idea.

I believe the departure tax is already 800 baht and and written into the price of the ticket - no one will notice. 

Unless what they are discussing involves the addition of a further 1000 baht for departure tax - but I don't think so. 

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yeah, I remember paying the 500 Baht fee at the counter many years ago at the old airport.

I believe this was increased and then they forced the airlines to collect the tax.

No doubt the airlines will collect the increased charge as well.

That's the part I don't understand. We used to queue at those stupid machines to buy the ticket for this exit tax and then it was included in the plane ticket price because it was creating a mess at the airport. Is this tax still applicable ? If yes, it's actually an extra tax on top of it then. What a rip off.

2 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

From what I heard this morning it is being discussed and is not confirmed as yet. Question though what if you dont have that money when you come to leave? 

The news reports / discussion is highly confusing. 

There already exists an 800 baht departure tax... the report is misleading and could simply mean that the existing 800 baht departure tax is simply being increased to 1000 baht.

The existing 800 baht departure tax is written into the cost of the ticket - so we never notice it anyway.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

There already exists an 800 baht departure tax... the report is misleading and could simply mean that the existing 800 baht departure tax is simply being increased to 1000 baht.

The existing 800 baht departure tax is written into the cost of the ticket - so we never notice it anyway.

The news gives many variations within the same report.

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Thai international arrival and departure fee is currently listed as 30 THB. But there are numerous other charges. See my screenshot above.

Edited by bradiston

10 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Interesting. - I have heard of several stories before (when there was a departure tax of 500 baht) of people who had spent literally every baht they had and had nothing when they got to the airport. What are they going to do if they can't pay? Deport them? Make them stay a month longer? Stupid idea.

Of course it is a stupid idea, what do you expect from a bunch of soldiers who do not have the brains to know any better. Is this the unelected caretaker PM's way of getting revenge because he knows he is out on his ear at the forth coming election.

surely the Pheu Thai  or whoever wins the election will stop it provided there are no soldiers involved.

So these gready people want a 1000 to leave 300 to arrive, the police are constantly on the look out for foreigners ridding bikes and cars, the hospitals are charging like wounded bulls, your money is not safe the bar girls are 3 times more expensive than ever before, every Thai is constantly Tring to rip off the Farangs,,,well <deleted> if these people don't want us here then please just let us all know and we can go spend our money in another country

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, joeed said:

Is this tax still applicable ?

See above. It's not a tax, it's a passenger service charge. Plenty of airports charge a similar fee.

Edited by Lemsta69

2 minutes ago, Ironmike said:

So these gready people want a 1000 to leave 300 to arrive, the police are constantly on the look out for foreigners ridding bikes and cars, the hospitals are charging like wounded bulls, your money is not safe the bar girls are 3 times more expensive than ever before, every Thai is constantly Tring to rip off the Farangs,,,well <deleted> if these people don't want us here then please just let us all know and we can go spend our money in another country

There is already an 800b departure tax.... so they actually want 1800b if this goes through !!

9 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

There is already an 800b departure tax.... so they actually want 1800b if this goes through !!

It's not a tax mate, it's an airport charge. @bradistonhad kindly shared the cost breakdown with us a few posts above.