Thaksin Completes Man City Buyout

george

Well from what I have seen so far the only good publicity about Thaksin comes from Thaksin himself. I seem to recall Thaksin sending Noppadon to his private ‘file a lawsuit for Thaksin window’ at the courts nearly daily for bad news about him he did not like.

He's got excellent publicity in the UK and no one gives a hoot about what did or did not happen in Thailand. Apart from the first month or so when he was buying the club, i haven't seen the press hounding him.

I think reality is setting in for Manchester that they are now on the small back burner that is set to simmer or off. If the PPP gets shut down then that will change.

I can't be bothered to search back for the relevant post but he has always said that he doesn't want to be in charge of the day to day running and wants to find someone that can do those duties for him. Nothing different to what the owners of Man United, Chelsea and Liverpool are doing.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well from what I have seen so far the only good publicity about Thaksin comes from Thaksin himself. I seem to recall Thaksin sending Noppadon to his private ‘file a lawsuit for Thaksin window’ at the courts nearly daily for bad news about him he did not like.

He's got excellent publicity in the UK and no one gives a hoot about what did or did not happen in Thailand. Apart from the first month or so when he was buying the club, i haven't seen the press hounding him.

I think reality is setting in for Manchester that they are now on the small back burner that is set to simmer or off. If the PPP gets shut down then that will change.

I can't be bothered to search back for the relevant post but he has always said that he doesn't want to be in charge of the day to day running and wants to find someone that can do those duties for him. Nothing different to what the owners of Man United, Chelsea and Liverpool are doing.

Time will tell, give it a week or so and come back and visit this and other posts just above. :o

Time will tell, give it a week or so and come back and visit this and other posts just above. :o

John k, this time you are way off the mark.

I am a born and bred Manchester City fan, and on the other hand I cannot stand Thaksin.

But the problem with these and similar comments are that you really do not understand the concept of English football.

I will give you a very good example of why you are wrong.

Thaksin has a huge ego. Manchester City have a huge fan base and are probably the biggest under-performing football team in England. They have not won a trophy for more than 30 years. When Thaksin bought the club, he was in a win/win situation.

Now they have had the best start to a season EVER.They have one of the best(proven) coaches in the League, and they have a very real chance of winning something over the next 3 years. That is the reason why Thaksin will stay, because his CV will then read "Everyone tried for 30 years to bring success to this club. Nobody managed it until I came along"

Thats why he didnt buy Liverpool when he had the chance. The success was already there, by winning something there would not have created any buzz, but being involved in an unsuccessful team and bringing them long overdue success. Think of the mileage he will get out of that :D

Exploitation , pure and simple, done also with muay thai boxers and singers in Thailand. Disposable as a Bic lighter they are.

Come on then Tony. Please enlighten me as to how they are being exploited. I really get fed up of this cr4p. Fine, we all know you're a Thaksin hater but lines like that above don't do your arguments any favours.

Every, i say EVERY, sports-person is disposable (just like the majority of working people). Why are there no 44 year old footballers around? Cos they are too old to play and have been dumped or left the sport before they got dumped, because younger and fitter lads are coming through. How many young lads spend years in the academy's and never make the cut? Result, they're tossed out by the club. When any of us outlive our usefulness, we're gone, it's life.

You said earlier, that Thailand musn't be a footballing nation when one of it's national players has to work in a bakery. So, Thaksin has brought some over to the UK to give them a chance. A chance they wouldn't have got given otherwise. They may or may not make the cut but at least they have been given a chance. They'll be getting 300,000 baht per month, who can earn that in Thailand? Not many. And don't retort with "yeah but they haven't been paid yet". Thaksin wouldn't have known that and you can bet your bottom dollar, it's gonna be sorted. Why would he want bad publicity over a few grand?

Because although he's one of Thailand's richest men, he's also one of the tightest pricks this country has ever seen. Everyone is disposable to him, even family members are used for financial shenanigans, regardless of the possible consequences. I personally know from a wife's friend who worked in telecoms with him for years and ended up resigning from a highly paid position just because of this very same character and behaviour. Good luck for the 300 000 baht a month and see how long it lasts.

He can come up with any excuse now that it's been exposed but that doesn't change the fact that these guys were on 15 pounds a day while he steps out of the shower every morning and wipes his droopy ass dry with a $500U.S. towel.

It just shows how out of touch with reality you are then.

He personally funded a huge party in Manchester city centre when he first bought the club. Apparently over a million £ it cost him. Huge stage, free food and artists flown in from Thailand etc. It was a fab day.

He also put on a free game against the Thai National team. He personally paid for the whole team and staff to fly over from Thailand and free food again for everyone who went.

So your argument is full of holes and utter tosh. Yes, he probably wipes his butt on a $500 towel, which makes it even more ludicrous that he would have deliberately avoided paying a few hundred dollars in wages risking bad publicity. Do you honestly think, that he personally gets involved over looking the wages department to ensure that all the staff's wages have gone in the bank. Next you'll be blaming him for the hot dogs being cold.

When Mr T first got into power and there were a bunch of Assembly for the Poor parked outside Govt House asking for the govt to solve their problems and open the gates of the Pak Mun Dam, the PM strolled outside, bought a whole big stainless steel drum of ice cream and went round handing it out to the poor villagers who were hot and tired from the days of protesting. They remembered that never once did Chuan before Mr T ever once come to talk to them in person, but here was the PM himself buying them ice cream and talking with them, saying "sure" he'd solve their problems, "just go back to Isaan and I'll sort it all out." And so they went.

Then he rolled out the 1 million baht per village scheme and a dozen other populist schemes, which all made it seem like he really cared for the poor. Then, when his popularity was starting to slump a bit (just as news was starting to leak out about just how much he and his family and political cronies had engorged themselves on public money during his time in office), he was back in Roi-Et doing his reality-type PM meets the people TV roadshow. He handed out some free rice, even a few thousand baht to the little old yais who waied to him and a few land title documents and said "trust me guys, I love you and care for you". And all in front of the cameras and they had some songs and dance and they all loved him for it.

Skip on a few years. A lot of shit happens and he buys a football club in England called Man City. He buys everyone free food and drinks, brings on some sexy singers, everyone has a party. Rumours go round this rich Thai guy spent a million quid on this beano and everyone gasps and looks adoringly at their saviour who's going to save their sorry team from ignominy. He's a hero. He's got the deep pockets we need and we love him! He's.......... Frank! :o

When it gets down to it Mr BJ, there's not a lot separates you from the Atsamat villagers. Take that how you like, but he does have an uncanny knack of either creating love or hate emotions in people, which is the very reason why he so totally unsuitable to be a PM or in public office. CEO of Shincorp or Man City ok, because he can run it like his own personal fiefdom (which is what he tried to do with Thai Inc), but not run a country. He is, quite literally, the Greatest Divider of all time. :D

cash flow problems after the big election??? :o

Eriksson waits for Thaksin to show him the money

Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson is still waiting for the club's owner Thaksin Shinawatra to tell him if he can spend significantly in the January transfer window.

Eriksson revealed this week that he has three ambitious transfer targets in mind as he looks to strengthen the City squad and push for European qualification.

- Daily Mail (UK)

3 weeks later... with January nearly over and still... nothing...

Although Thaksin has spent a lot of his time in England, flitting between London and Manchester, that is not his intention in the long term and he is thought to favour the idea of appointing an executive chairman at City to handle most of the club’s business.

He expressed surprise recently at the costs involved in running a football club, but, while he remains committed to backing Sven-Göran Eriksson in the transfer market, the prospect of regular outlays of £40 million – the amount City spent last summer – are unlikely even in the event that the Thai’s assets are unfrozen. Eriksson, the manager, is hopeful of signing a striker on loan and possibly a midfield player, before the close of the transfer window in eight days’ time, but offloading players and lowering the wage bill remain equally important.

- Times Online (UK)

When it gets down to it Mr BJ, there's not a lot separates you from the Atsamat villagers.

<deleted> off you numpty and read the post i was responding to. Tony and co. where calling him tight fisted, i was responding to the fact that he had spent a huge amount of his money on various things for others. This is not the act of someone who is tight fisted. Jeez, read the whole thread and in context before throwing lines out like that.

Now, i'm gonna cut it there and to be honest i'm a bit p1ssed at you plachon, cos i've taken the above comment as an attempt by you to try and personally insult me. If it was, you have succeeded and i suggest we take it elsewhere and not on the open forum.

He personally funded a huge party in Manchester city centre when he first bought the club. Apparently over a million £ it cost him. Huge stage, free food and artists flown in from Thailand etc. It was a fab day.

He also put on a free game against the Thai National team. He personally paid for the whole team and staff to fly over from Thailand and free food again for everyone who went.

It's hard to see the detail, from several thousand miles away, but can I ask how certain it was, that this all came out of Thaksin's pocket personally ? And not from the club's own funds, or the investment by the group of people who backed his bid to buy MC, or bank-loans as with Al-Fayed & Fulham ?

The reason I ask is, when he was looking at Liverpool & Everton & Fulham, he often gave the impression that he was using his own money, which then became Thai government-funds, then Thai lottery-money, to finance his deal. He also has a history here of giving the impression that funds to help the poor are his own money, when they eventually turn out to be government-funds, or lottery-money (The lottery here is even less transparent than in the UK). There are still many Thais who believe that he repaid the IMF-loans out of his own pocket.

Good luck to all at MC, for the rest of the season, and I hope that the 3 Thai players do get paid soon, they don't deserve what happened to them.

Edited by Ricardo

Not being a football aficionado, but with under 48 hours left in January, am I correct in presuming this deal needs to be concluded quickly? :o

Sven Goran Eriksson targets three Brazilians

Manchester City boss Sven Goran Eriksson is making an astonishing move to sign three Brazilian stars from Russian giants CSKA Moscow.

The stunning transfer treble would see Samba strikers Vagner Love and Jo Alves come to City along with highly-rated midfielder Daniel Carvalho.

Love, Alves and Carvalho would cost a combined total of around £20 million, with owner Thaksin Shinawatra trying to come to an agreement with the Russians over when the money is paid.

Love is the first-choice target and interest in him led to a meeting between CSKA officials and City last weekend when the grand plan came up, brokered by super-agent Pini Zahavi.

All three would need to apply for work permits in a hurry and it may be difficult as they are not regulars in the Brazilian national side - but City are hoping to resolve that issue.

- Mirror (UK)

Reality appears to be setting in with each tick of the clock. However I conceded Thaksin still may come through if he feels or suspects problems in Getting back in power.

John, you really are going up a blind alley with this one, and as such you start to lose credibility. As I said before, I share your views on Thaksin, however your observations re Man City are way off the mark.

Let me enlighten you.

Man City have tried to buy SEVERAL players this last few weeks.

They have not been able to buy them however it is NOT because Thaksin has not come up with the money.There have been other reasons.

Example. 1) Peter Crouch(Liverpool) Attempted to buy him and were quoted 15 MILLION POUNDS.Trust me on this, if they had paid 15 millionn for him it would have been simply stupid, he is worth no more than 10 million on todays prices, and even that is OTT.

2)Re the Brazilians from CSK, they did not want to move.

Milito,Podolski,Fred,Cisse,Zigic, Guiza

Man City have attempted to buy all of these guys!!! Either their club will not let them go, else the club is still involved in European competition, which Man City are not, therefore they do not want to move as they will miss out on Europe.

Finally, there has been very little transfer movement this January, there are many clubs who have not bought players, so again John do not look too deeply into this re Thaksin as you are well and truely barking up the wrong tree. There are too many other things which you can nail on Thaksin. Right now he knows he is in a win/ win situation with them, there would be no benefit in him leaving or casting them adrift right now.

Reality appears to be setting in with each tick of the clock. However I conceded Thaksin still may come through if he feels or suspects problems in Getting back in power.

John, you really are going up a blind alley with this one, and as such you start to lose credibility. As I said before, I share your views on Thaksin, however your observations re Man City are way off the mark.

Let me enlighten you.

They have not been able to buy them however it is NOT because Thaksin has not come up with the money.There have been other reasons.

Example. 1) Peter Crouch(Liverpool) Attempted to buy him and were quoted 15 MILLION POUNDS.Trust me on this, if they had paid 15 millionn for him it would have been simply stupid, he is worth no more than 10 million on todays prices, and even that is OTT.

Man City have attempted to buy all of these guys!!! Either their club will not let them go, else the club is still involved in European competition, which Man City are not, therefore they do not want to move as they will miss out on Europe.

Finally, there has been very little transfer movement this January, there are many clubs who have not bought players, so again John do not look too deeply into this re Thaksin as you are well and truely barking up the wrong tree. There are too many other things which you can nail on Thaksin. Right now he knows he is in a win/ win situation with them, there would be no benefit in him leaving or casting them adrift right now.

Ok I will back off on this because I am not following it too closely. I was just looking at his past and how quickly his discards people and things after he is done with them. So I will just sit on the sidelines for now and see what happens with this topic.

Let me enlighten you.

Ok I will back off on this because I am not following it too closely. I was just looking at his past and how quickly his discards people and things after he is done with them. So I will just sit on the sidelines for now and see what happens with this topic.

Your character assessment of Thaksin is accurate, and I have no doubt in my mind that some time in the future, when it has run its course and there is no longer any gain (financial or personal) that he will drop them like a hot potato. But that time is not right now, as there is too much upsides for him at the moment

Let me enlighten you.

Your character assessment of Thaksin is accurate, and I have no doubt in my mind that some time in the future, when it has run its course and there is no longer any gain (financial or personal) that he will drop them like a hot potato. But that time is not right now, as there is too much upsides for him at the moment

Very interesting that no big names have been signed in the January transfer Window.

Begining of the end.

I predict Sven gone by end of season Man city finish less than half way.

Let me enlighten you.

Very interesting that no big names have been signed in the January transfer Window.

3 teams have bought so called big names over 5 million.......Chelsea (Anelka), Spurs (Woodgate), Liverpool (Skrtel)...Thats it!!!!!

So why is it interesting that City have not bought any big names. As my previous posts show, they have tried and have been unable to get their targets, which is the same as the vast majority of other teams in the premiership :o

Let me enlighten you.

Begining of the end.

I predict Sven gone by end of season Man city finish less than half way.

Thanks for your obvious insight and knowledge of Premiership football :D

In other words, stop talking <deleted> :o

Sorry, didn't realise this thread had been "revitalised" :o

The january transfer market is always a difficult one. Usually, the only players available are ones that are no longer required by their clubs, so the dreggs. We have off loaded some of ours.

We are currently not playing in Europe and has jack'n'danny said, our target men are still playing for european medals. So it's difficult. In the end managers usually go for stop gap players to shore up a team or just fill an hole that has been left through injuries.

The papers in the uk are rife at the moment, with speculation about this or that. So until any signatures are implanted in concrete, i'd take the press talk with a pinch of salt.

Well, total transfert market was worth 150mil, twice as much as the previous winter record of 2006.

City bought two players, one is Mancini's son, aged 17, the other some guy from Equador.

Apparently Swen didn't get exactly what he wanted.

cash flow problems after the big election??? :o

Eriksson waits for Thaksin to show him the money

Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson is still waiting for the club's owner Thaksin Shinawatra to tell him if he can spend significantly in the January transfer window.

Eriksson revealed this week that he has three ambitious transfer targets in mind as he looks to strengthen the City squad and push for European qualification.

- Daily Mail (UK)

Election costs... frozen assets... is the pinch being felt?

Shinawatra's frozen assets a worry for City

Thaksin Shinawatra's ability to draw on reserves of money in his native Thailand to fund the development of Manchester City remains unclear following the arrest of his wife in Bangkok.

As the Roma winger Amantino Mancini became the latest player linked to the club yesterday, Shinawtra's wife Pojamarn Shinawatra remained under arrest after landing in Bangkok from Hong Kong.

Such is the lack of clarity at the club that Sven Goran Eriksson has reportedly been forced to draw up two lists of targets; one including expensive players, the other more modest. It is believed that City are trying to secure players on the kind of loan deal; with payments at a later date; which brought Nery Castillo to Eastlands.

- The Independent (UK)

Thai players not getting paid... transfer money not put up... is the honeymoon ending so soon?

Sven still waiting for Thai cash boost

Sven Goran Eriksson's honeymoon with Manchester City could end if Thai owner Thaksin Shinawatra does not make good promises of putting a multi-million transfer budget at his manager's disposal.

According to sources close to the Swede, he is growing impatient. 'Sven is doing a brilliant job at City but knows he can only do so much with what he has at his disposal at the moment,' I was told.

- Daily Mail (UK)

=========================================================

Thaksin 'still holding' Man City transfer cash

The British media reported this morning that Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson is eager to get on with buying more players, but Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra still hasn't come across with promised cash for the deals. Thaksin, who flew to Hong Kong last Thursday, had promised to make transfer money available to Eriksson, in order to add players to Man City, which are already the surprise of the Premiership. The British media put the boot into the ex-premier: "Eriksson's honeymoon with Manchester City could end if Thai owner Thaksin does not make good (on) promises of putting a multi-million transfer budget at his manager's disposal," said the story.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=125284

Well, total transfer market was worth 150 Mil, twice as much as the previous winter record of 2006.

City bought two players, one is Mancini's son, aged 17, the other some guy from Ecuador.

and it certainly seemed he had such high hopes for January.... but still, I've always liked Mancini's father's music, so maybe some show tunes musical presentations will be nice at the stadium.

As for the Ecuadorian.... uhmm... well, according to the travel guide, virtualtourist.com

Ecuador Local Customs

One local custom is to drink alot of alcohol.

he should fit in nicely.

Edited by sriracha john

Well, total transfert market was worth 150mil, twice as much as the previous winter record of 2006.

City bought two players, one is Mancini's son, aged 17, the other some guy from Equador.

The majority of the money was spent by the clubs who are fighting relegation, they are obviously the ones who need new players. I don't think Arsenal and Man United bought any but did let quite a few go. Chelsea only bought Anelka a few weeks ago and Liverpool only bought one player but let a few go.

You're though about Sven, he is still trying to get Benjani and talking to the FA about it. I don't know the full ins and outs but it was something to do with the paperwork not getting through on time. It was a mad scuffle at 11.55 as Portsmouth tried to complete the signing of Defoe which meant they could let Benjani go. Sven had been to London to sort his work permit out and that was cleared but Benjani got stuck on route to City, only arriving at 11.15. What the outcome will be i don't know.

Edited by mrbojangles

As for the Ecuadorian.... uhmm... well, according to the travel guide, virtualtourist.com
Ecuador Local Customs

he should fit in nicely.

Give it a break SJ. OK you don't like Thaksin but what is that cr4p about. Or is every city player going to bear the wrath of SJ.

:o

For info, this is from skysports about the transfer:-

Manchester City have confirmed the signing of Felipe Caicedo from Basel.

The 19-year-old forward has sealed his move to the City of Manchester Stadium on a reported four-and-a-half year contract.

The deal struck with Basel is believed to be worth in the region of 7million euros (£5.2million).

A number of clubs were keen to capture Caicedo, with Valencia, Atletico Madrid, Sevilla, Milan and Juventus all linked with a move.

Sven Goran Eriksson has moved for the striker after allowing Georgios Samaras and Rolando Bianchi to leave the club on loan.

The Ecuadorian international has tallied 15 caps for his country, scoring twice.

The majority of the money was spent by the clubs who are fighting relegation, they are obviously the ones who need new players. I don't think Arsenal and Man United bought any but did let quite a few go. Chelsea only bought Anelka a few weeks ago and Liverpool only bought one player but let a few go.

You're though about Sven, he is still trying to get Benjani and talking to the FA about it. I don't know the full ins and outs but it was something to do with the paperwork not getting through on time. It was a mad scuffle at 11.55 as Portsmouth tried to complete the signing of Defoe which meant they could let Benjani go. Sven had been to London to sort his work permit out and that was cleared but Benjani got stuck on route to City, only arriving at 11.15. What the outcome will be i don't know.

Apparently,redknapp got the call at 11.55pm from a man.city executive to say they had completed and the paperwork had been sent to premier league HQ.At that point defoe was signed up and the paperwork sent to the Pl,this arrived before the deadline.Now the pl are saying that the paperwork was received after midnight from city and the transfer deadline had passed.Man city are appealing to the PL to let the transfer go through,portsmouth would not have signed defoe as a replacement if they had known,sounds unprofessional by someone at city,a bit of a mess tbh.

I had a lot of time for city before thaksin got his claws into the club,being a spurs fan i could kind of indentify with the club as being in a similiar position to spurs-under achieving for years,in the shadow of their local rivals,badly managed etc.I just wish Ransoms consortium had come in with a budget of 25 million promised on new players,would still have bought city elano,petrov,corluka,just maybe not bianchi(not much loss).From having some sympathy with city and their long suffering fans,i now look for their result and after Arsenal it gives me great pleasure when they lose.But for sven and some very lucky/late goals city would be in mid table obscurity.

Ecuador Local Customs

he should fit in nicely.

Give it a break SJ. OK you don't like Thaksin but what is that cr4p about. Or is every city player going to bear the wrath of SJ.

I just found it an amusing coincidence after reading the exploits of the likes of former MCFC player Barton and the dearth of knowledge most people have regarding Ecuador. Not sure what you're on about with the "every player bearing the wrath"... Actually, I feel sympathy, more so than any other emotion, for them given the owner they're working under.

BTW, did the Thai players ever get paid yet? I hope so.

Edited by sriracha john

is every city player going to bear the wrath of SJ

If the past is any indication the answer to this is "yes, of course".

Chownah

Would you care to support that assessment with examples?

Sure, anyone wanting examples of his past postings so that you yourself can evaluate whether you think I'm correct or not can just click near his name at any of his posts and chose the option to view his posts......a window will open which contains one page of his past posts....you can go back through as many pages of his posts as you like.

Of course the truth will arrive as he continues to post in this thread or not.

Chownah

You misunderstand. It is a yes.....your posting style is well documented for anyone interested.....they can just look at your posts. I don't think that anyone will do that however as most here are already familiar with your style and understood me straight away.

Just consider me to be a "city player".

Chownah