Udon Thani is underrated

26 minutes ago, bignok said:

I food the food awful there. Udon has some nice cafes. Apart from that not much. Central Malls are much the same everywhere.

At the night markets (3 that run together) near the RR station, it's quite good to excellent.

On soi samphan/slum, the expat/sexpat/sextourist ghetto, it used to range from quite good to krap to overpriced.   My 2 favorite restaurants there/soi slum, when we lived there, are either no longer there, or management has changed.  

If that's where you hung out while there, then yes, you wasted you time dining there.

Thai's preparation of Thai & Western food, is excellent around town, and outer areas, when we lived there.  Food was UT's only saving grace. along with a few quite pleasant expat to sip  a few with.

image.png.fcfe0dec59098984030198307ca905af.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

At the night markets (3 that run together) near the RR station, it's quite good to excellent.

On soi samphan/slum, the expat/sexpat/sextourist ghetto, it used to range from quite good to krap to overpriced.   My 2 favorite restaurants there/soi slum, when we lived there, are either no longer there, or management has changed.

Thai's preparation of Thai & Western food, is excellent around town, and outer areas, when we lived there.  Food was UT's only saving grace. along with a few quite pleasant expat to sip  a few with.

Night market food was awful. We went to a nice restaurant 8km away but it was pricey. Khon Kaen has a way better night market for food and has beers and music.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bignok said:

Night market food was awful. We went to a nice restaurant 8km away but it was pricey. Khon Kaen has a way better night market for food and has beers and music.

Used to be plenty of places to munch & sip a few w/live music.  As stated elsewhere, I quite enjoyed my single life there between marriages.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Well each to their own regarding Udon, anyone who has been recently will of noticed its growing and getting bigger. One member berates Soi Sampan as a slum, well if he walks down it now it certainly isn't a slum anymore with 3 top modern hotels that wouldn't be out of place in other cities most of it was ruff years go but most of it has been demolished. Many fine eating places both Western and Thai Food is on offer take a stroll around Nong Prajak lake great Restaurants and a nice massage if you feel like one. And more importantly its not infested with Russians or Indians unlike other places I could mention.

Did they close down the cow shed / Day & Night, along with the massage places ?  

Gmap still shows it as open.  I do see the new hotels, and a step in the right direction.

That soi is a stain on the city, and should be moved elsewhere.  Take a clue from the locals, and put the adult entertainment out of main downtown.

It's embarrassing ... 

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Did they close down the cow shed / Day & Night, along with the massage places ?  

That soi is a stain on the city, and should be moved elsewhere.  Take a clue from the locals, and put the adult entertainment out of main downtown.

It's embarrassing ... 

Gmap still shows it as open.

like I said if you Don't like a place don't go simple. Day n Night has been and will always be there same as Nutty Park. If you don't like these establishments don't go, As for the massage shops most have now gone on Soi Sampan and been replaced by the Nong Bua Grand Hotel along with its Mezzanine pool and Gym. Phuket has Soi Bangla should that be relocated outside Patong ?

• Like 1

You guys should have seen what Udon was like back in the 1970's!   Outside of the main road, Udon streets were mostly dirt, which had changed from the 1970's.  I don't know what it is like today.   I think the last time I was there was more than 5 years ago.   

Not sure when I will go back.   The biggest reason I haven't been back is wife and family traveling to other places in Thailand when we are there.  I don't know if I have time to go there this next trip in the coming summer months (U.S. of A. summer time).  

I have a lot of nostalgic memories of the place. 

13 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Phuket has Soi Bangla should that be relocated outside Patong ?

Agree, and why I stopped visiting, as it declined so fast when I lived there.

Bangla rd ... ask the locals, and they'd be very happy to see it shut down, as a stain (new favorite expression) on the family beach resort town.

Have a nice day

6 minutes ago, marcusb said:

well not in the city I agree, the city is like typical Isaan. But only 30km out and you get into good riding. The mountain roads west of Nam Som are incredible, with no traffic. 

Great drive from Nong Khai to Mukdahan.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, marcusb said:

well not in the city I agree, the city is like typical Isaan. But only 30km out and you get into good riding. The mountain roads west of Nam Som are incredible, with no traffic. 

A bit more than 30 kms from downtown (Central Plaza), but agree, some nice hills & roads in NW part of province.  Na Yung area, south of Nam Son, is quite nice also.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JayClay said:

Which of the three points quoted are you arguing against and what makes you think that way?

I'm comment ment on bar girl market scene.

Pattaya you can easily get a LT for 1k,

In UD bar girl looking for 1500฿ plus that's my take on the subject.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, dayo202 said:

Okay. So price was the point you were debating. Thank you for clarifying.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Okay. So price was the point you were debating. Thank you for clarifying.

Who really cares if you like Udon go there and enjoy no need to slag it off there are worse places in Thailand. Try Murder Island. Probably a good place but don't go out after dark for a stroll on the beach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Who really cares if you like Udon go there and enjoy no need to slag it off there are worse places in Thailand. Try Murder Island. Probably a good place but don't go out after dark for a stroll on the beach.

UT has had it's share of westerners killed, and at least 1, doing the killing.  

Plenty of violence in UT adult area.  One bar owner was notorious for starting fights, until his 'back up' passed away.  Another expat was also well known for starting fights when he was on the streets.

Along with the motorcycle gangs at night, mugging people, that took PoPo a while to catch up to, finally.  I lived there for 16 yrs, take the rose tinted glasses off.

Plenty of good things about UT, but also, like any metro, plenty of not so good.  

Both sides, opinions/experiences are good to have for people deciding to visit or live there ...

....or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

A bit more than 30 kms from downtown (Central Plaza), but agree, some nice hills & roads in NW part of province.  Na Yung area, south of Nam Son, is quite nice also.

Driving that route on the way to mekong and Chiang Khan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dayo202 said:

And when was the last time you were in Pattaya?????

• Like 2

I lived in Udon for two years and I don't miss that city at all. Extremely slow traffic, high pollution, police always looking for money, extremely hot with no wind, yesterday it was 45 C°, mosquitoes as big as vampires, impossible to get out on the roads by bike without risking being crushed by trucks, apart from the usual centres commercial insipid and idiotic, truly a city to be avoided.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BE88 said:

I lived in Udon for two years and I don't miss that city at all. Extremely slow traffic, high pollution, police always looking for money, extremely hot with no wind, yesterday it was 45 C°, mosquitoes as big as vampires, impossible to get out on the roads by bike without risking being crushed by trucks, apart from the usual centres commercial insipid and idiotic, truly a city to be avoided.

Fair enough.