Udon Thani is underrated

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

UT has had it's share of westerners killed, and at least 1, doing the killing.  

Plenty of violence in UT adult area.  One bar owner was notorious for starting fights, until his 'back up' passed away.  Another expat was also well known for starting fights when he was on the streets.

Along with the motorcycle gangs at night, mugging people, that took PoPo a while to catch up to, finally.  I lived there for 16 yrs, take the rose tinted glasses off.

Plenty of good things about UT, but also, like any metro, plenty of not so good.  

Both sides, opinions/experiences are good to have for people deciding to visit or live there ...

....or not.

Yes.  There used to be a very popular night club bar that stayed open late about 12-13 years ago.  The owner was followed home and stabbed to death on his door step as I recall.  I was in Udon at the time and in the club the evening he was murdered.  Came as a bit of a shock.

I forget the name of the venue...anyone??

2 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Years ago when was the last murder? just stayed there for 4 Months and never saw a biker gang never saw any fights except a few bargirl catfights. Don't forget Udon is now one of the biggest new cities in Thailand don't think there has been a Murder in 5 years. Not bad in my book considering its a city.

I lived there for 16 yrs.  Guess you don't follow the news much.  Nothing new about UT, and it's always been one of the largest metro areas in TH.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2030863/two-killed-5-injured-in-udon-knife-attacks

Have a nice day.

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Yes.  There used to be a very popular night club bar that stayed open late about 12-13 years ago.  The owner was followed home and stabbed to death on his door step as I recall.  I was in Udon at the time and in the club the evening he was murdered.  Came as a bit of a shock.

Models 59 (?)

He also owned 'Sister's', I think.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Our daughter, who was quite social in HS, also has no desire to even visit.   Even cut all times with her birth family (GrandMa/Pa).   Adopted wife and myself this year, taking our last name.  Quite enjoys the Big Mango lifestyle.

The last of the family left there about 8 years ago mum dad son 3 daughters and all there family's all that is there is a few empty houses and buildings, i just don't understand leaving never to return but just abandon  the real estate. 

20 hours ago, bignok said:

People - nong khai

Atmosphere - nong khai

Food - nong khai and khon kaen

Udon ranks 3rd

A bit of a thumb on the scale for Nong Khai there. A place with a river setting will always trump in inland town. I like Ubon for the same reason. 

Ubon is a two day town once in a blue moon, or a four day town that you've then done and dusted. It's a good to do it with Khorat or Nong Khai, or better yet, all three in one week.

One let down was the pottery museum, but it's a tall order to make old pots exciting. And it's an old exhibition. Fans of the diorama will not be disappointed.

The interlocking swishy patterns derive from Vedic India and echo through to Hmong tribal stuff, The Impressionists, and all the way to Keith Haring. You think of someone 3,000 years ago dipping a brush into paint made from berries and making the first art.

You can buy an eight inch 3,000 year old pot for $100 on Etsy. Most are real, it's too obscure to bother faking. And back in the day, those people had nothing to do but toss out a couple of pots. Laos in particular is littered with untouched dig sites. A couple of stores sell repro's. Hard to take home, but cheap.

19 hours ago, bignok said:

Khon Kaen has a way better night market for food and has beers and music.

KK is long on my list, but I have never pulled the trigger. I heard it's the most spread out and devoid of a downtown-town in Issan. True?

What makes for a great night market? I always find the food to be a little on the cold side. Partic deep fried stuff that they let lay around instead of doing it to order. For a healthy eater, it's down to meat on a stick, hopefully still warm.

I have never had a night market meal that was the equal of a place that could succeed at the level of being a store front restaurant. That food is cheaper for a reason.

26 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

KK is long on my list, but I have never pulled the trigger. I heard it's the most spread out and devoid of a downtown-town in Issan. True?

What makes for a great night market? I always find the food to be a little on the cold side. Partic deep fried stuff that they let lay around instead of doing it to order. For a healthy eater, it's down to meat on a stick, hopefully still warm.

I have never had a night market meal that was the equal of a place that could succeed at the level of being a store front restaurant. That food is cheaper for a reason.

Have you ever been to save one night market in korat?, That place is huge and worth a look if your ever passing through, some great food stalls and eateries there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Models 59.

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

Yes, one does need to choose wisely at night markets, or any market area.   

Only eat (if there) food that is prepared fresh and in front of me.   If not, then it gets microwaved at home.   I like my hot...hot, and cold ... cold.

Personally, I'm not into the super large night markets, just overkill for me.  Udon Thani's 3 markets are easily walkable, and have plenty of food varietie, and enough competition, doing the same.

I don't need 10 or 20 vendors making the same thing, 2 or 3 is more than enough.

Cheaper because of their stall rental overhead, is far cheap than a brick & mortar building.  With the huge traffic, if good, then can make profit on volume sales vs higher prices.

If you go  Asian food court in Flushing, Queens, the competition of intra-Asian food makes it all very high quality. Duck pancake for a buck. Green Tea Salad next door. multi hanging meat options.

Thai people want to eat Thai food, on the low end. Why would they not?

Must to avoid: Night market sushi. 

14 hours ago, Adumbration said:

13 years ago ?? remember that 13 years ago Udons last murder.

I've visited a couple of times and it's a nice place.  If I wasn't anchored in Lamphun province, I definitely consider Udon.  Another under-rated place in Nan. Both are beautiful areas.  But Udon is much more NES farang friendly.

48 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

13 years ago ?? remember that 13 years ago Udons last murder.

You can repeat it, but doesn't make it so.  If read Thai script news, you may find out about more.   You seem to ignored my previous post:

image.png.0d594283f5c04dc6641185416b8803dc.png

UT definitely one of the better, if not best large metros in TH to live in, if you don't mind the pollution or get out & about a lot.

But don't try to tell me murders are rare, per se', and a bit of crime is very low.

Not really something to worry about, if using common sense, but it does happen.

Edited by KhunLA

When I first visited Thailand in 1985, the North East was basically impossible to visit. Even 30 years ago it was a dreadful overnight bus ride.

Now you can hop on a plane and be there in an hour.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Music and beer makes a night market worthwhile. Otherwise go restaurant.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

Music and beer makes a night market worthwhile. Otherwise go restaurant.

Tawan Daeng is right next to the night market, along with UD Town had a stage, still shows on google sites..  Had bands or big screen footie. 

Only negative, Chang products served, or used to be the exclusive beverage.  Others available or BYO.

Guessing a few people commenting actually haven't spent much time at the night market, or Udon Than.

Great metro area for being single and not wanting/needing P4P.

Edited by KhunLA

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Tawan Daeng is right next to the night market, along with UD Town had a stage, though not sure if still there.  Had bands or big screen footie.  Only negative, Chang products served, or used to be the exclusive beverage.

Guessing a few people commenting actually haven't spent much time at the night market, or Udon Than.

Tawan Daeng is 750m away and nothing to do with the night market.

TD also opens at 9pm. So you eat at 6pm thebln wait 3 hours for opening and walk 750m 555

Edited by bignok
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, bignok said:

Correct you are, brain freeze.  Best music in town though, and I used to walk over from Preecha Market as my preferred munching & sipping area.  Used to be able to cut through BKK H. parking area for a  <500 meter stroll.

Been more than a few years since party mode.  Was at Preecha last year.

edit:

image.png.b475802e8855ae28c1de281b201455e5.png

Edited by KhunLA

11 minutes ago, bignok said:

Be back soon. Will walk around see what is good. Last time we found music and decent food at some restaurant forget the name. Found it by accident as our preferred choice was closed.

I always found the place around the ring rd, and other neighborhoods better for relaxing, munching, music, sipping socializing.

Only went night market in late afternoon, very early evening, to beat the crowd & get easy parking spot.

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Tawan Daeng is right next to the night market, along with UD Town had a stage, still shows on google sites..  Had bands or big screen footie. 

Only negative, Chang products served, or used to be the exclusive beverage.  Others available or BYO.

Guessing you have not been to Preecha Market a long time, the stage and big screen has not been used in ten years it has totally been revamped along with Udon Town. Opposit Bangkok Hospital has many outside restaurants packed every day of the week mostly by locals.

13 hours ago, bignok said:

TD also opens at 9pm. So you eat at 6pm thebln wait 3 hours for opening and walk 750m 555

Correct bignok Anybody who hasn't visited Udon will think Tawan Daeng is next to a market and music will be blasting out while you're trying to eat a meal. Statements like the opp comes out with is misleading and wrong.

On 5/9/2023 at 3:41 AM, Andycoops said:

I am a frequent visitor to Udon and I find it a pleasant place to stay for a weekend.

Good choice of hotels, restaurants, markets and bars of all types.

Also the Central Plaza shopping mall should that be your thing.

Do they sell BeerLao somewhere up there?

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Guessing you have not been to Preecha Market a long time, the stage and big screen has not been used in ten years it has totally been revamped along with Udon Town. Opposit Bangkok Hospital has many outside restaurants packed every day of the week mostly by locals.

As posted already, was there last year

https://aseannow.com/topic/1294253-udon-thani-is-underrated/page/3/#comment-18073882

Actually stage (music/footie) is/was at UD Town, hence the 'only Chang products' comment, if still having the monopoly.  Wasn't my thing anyway.

When munching, I always BYO / Beer Lao Dark, if sipping.

Edited by KhunLA