Udon Thani is underrated

On 5/8/2023 at 7:55 PM, GameMaster said:

On my way to Vientiane, I stopped a couple of days in Udon Thani.

Pretty decent city honestly. Not too big, not to small. Nice people everywhere.

Enough bars to chill (girls are the same as in Pattaya, prices are much lower though), enough shops to buy whatever you'd like.

Plenty of Westerners - mostly old people, polite and willing to share their knowledge of Udon.

Extremely underrated imo.

I find this somewhat hard to believe after going to Buri Ram (city) and discovering that it is an utter pile of excrement.  

I can't imagine Udon Thani would be any better.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I find this somewhat hard to believe after going to Buri Ram (city) and discovering that it is an utter pile of excrement.  

It has an airport.

On my first visit to Thailand (from New Zealand) I visited  Udon Thani and surrounding areas.  That was in 2005 and 2007 for about 30 days each time and loved the friendly people. I knew only a few Thai words but was able to make some good friends. I returned again in 2010 and 20018 and supposed to come again in 2020,but covid spoiled that. Hope to be back in Thailand later this year and will travel around Thailand and up to Udon as well.

On 5/8/2023 at 7:59 PM, GameMaster said:

Why ? Just went to that UD market area. Best night market in Thailand for food imo. I'm very surprised by your opinion. Tell me more: what went wrong for you ?

I think you never visited night markets in Bangkok

On 5/21/2023 at 8:16 PM, ArnieP said:

Some posts here suggest that Udon Thani is a great place to visit and even live in. Well, I’ve lived here for a decade and have mixed feelings about the place and have to admit to being in agreement with posts that underline the negatives of Udon.

Firstly, I do acknowledge that UT has positive aspects. The shopping options are quite impressive, and there are numerous indoor and outdoor eateries that offer a variety of food, some international, at very low to significantly higher prices. 

The presence of a couple of parks with lakes is also a nice touch for open air enthusiasts. The large Nong Prajak Park offers bicycle, tandem and triplet hire which can be great fun for going round the lake for however long you wish.

The bar scene, limited and expensive as it may be, is there in the city centre for those who need it. The customers are mostly elderly Western men.

Having said all this, I must admit that I find myself struggling to fully enjoy the city. In my experience, I find Udon Thani to be quite noisy and dirty, which takes away from the overall experience. Additionally, I've encountered many instances of vermin, rats in particular, on roads and broken pavements. These aren’t pleasant to see. 

Furthermore, as someone who values cultural exchange, I often find that interactions with certain Western visitors can, to put it politely, prove challenging. While this doesn't represent the entire visitor population, it's something I see all too frequently.

I must emphasise that these are personal views and opinions. I realise that I don’t have to stay and will indeed leave when circumstances permit. I get that some people think Udon is some sort of paradise but for me it’s a dump and I’ve had enough.

"Well, I’ve lived here for a decade and have mixed feelings about the place"

"for me it’s a dump and I’ve had enough."

If that's what you call mixed feelings I'd hate to be around when you have a firm opinion.  ????

• Haha 2

hmmm.. i tend to agree. I would tend to describe UT as understated rather than underrated. i enjoy going there for precisely this reason. It has all the "facilities" available  in Pattaya without it being in your face as Pattaya tends to be, and so feels less tawdry.(hehe)

• Like 2

If you have not visited UT for over 5 years how can you call it a dump its growing bigger and bigger with top hotels springing up and demolishing rundown areas of the city. Just last month the Nightclub franchise opened its latest Club called the Library this is a multi-chain of nightclubs all throughout Thailand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, henry15 said:

I think you never visited night markets in Bangkok

Isaan food is average. That UD market only serves Chang beer plus rum. The music is 2nd rate, tv screens show football replays. It has potential to be good but is lame.

The Brasserie not far away has better music and a range of draught beers. Far better.

On 5/8/2023 at 7:55 PM, GameMaster said:

girls are the same as in Pattaya, prices are much lower though), enough shops to buy whatever you'd like.

Plenty of Westerners - mostly old people,

i see none of these as positives

15 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Just last month the Nightclub franchise opened its latest Club called the Library this is a multi-chain of nightclubs all throughout Thailand. 

because McClubs are where its at.

I was in Udon Thani 50+ years ago and I am sure it has changed. I found it friendly back then. I live in Kalasin now and what to visit there again. If you haven't figured it out I was in the Army 50+ years ago. I am really looking forward to returning.

• Like 1

I feel so lucky. The difference in how people choose to live is amazing. Trump in his tower and a chap in a shack on a field with zero amenities. Just spent 10 days in Udon NamSom and think I just setup the first solar system there. 

On 5/27/2023 at 1:41 PM, Freddy42OZ said:

Udon is ok but gets boring real quick. I think 4 nights every 12 months is enough.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2023 at 2:52 PM, KhunLA said:

You definitely won't recognize the place.   It actually has piped water and flush toilets ... ????

Tham Erawan doesn't. Old style. Don't go there without Imodium.

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Irish Clock is for sale.

Its been sold many times over in the past 15 years.  At one time I use to go there for my breakfast when I headed into town just so I could have a pint of Guinness with it.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Its been sold many times over in the past 15 years.  At one time I use to go there for my breakfast when I headed into town just so I could have a pint of Guinness with it.

10 hours ago, bignok said:

Irish Clock is for sale.

Only the business, and that's always been for sale.  At least 8 people have run the Clock since opening.

That's a bit telling.  Only Steve & Mali did it justice, after the original leasee (named Steve also) let his sister run it into the ground.

Seems all the bars businesses are sold for 'health reasons' ... ????  Must be stressful endeavors ????

Think I've only visited the Clock twice after S&M stopped managing it.   

Last time I was there, my daughter was old enough to realize the happenings of the soi (next door ish/hookers) and looked at me like I was nuts for even thinking about having lunch on the soi. 

That was embarrassing, and last time I got out of the car on soi slum. ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Only the business, and that's always been for sale.  At least 8 people have run the Clock since opening.

That's a bit telling.  Only Steve & Mali did it justice, after the original leasee (named Steve also) let his sister run it into the ground.

Seems all the bars businesses are sold for 'health reasons' ... ????  Must be stressful endeavors ????

Last time I was there, my daughter was old enough to realize the happenings of the soi (next door ish/hookers) and looked at me like I was nuts for even thinking about having lunch on the soi. 

Where are the sports bars elsewhere?

10 minutes ago, bignok said:

Where are the sports bars elsewhere?

The long running 'Sports Bar' is still on soi samphan, I think.  Not a sports fan, so really haven't a clue.

T Bar will play any sports, and that's Steve & Mali's restaurant / bar, or was, last time there.  Thinking about it, not sure Steve is still with us, as my age, and had a few health issues last time we chit chatted.

We got to Udon Thani about the same time, and always had a successful restaurant / bar operation or 2 going.  First one, Steve's and was long running, till sold to another guy (named Steve, 2 many Steve s), who sadly off'd himself.

Steve & Mali's places were the best for Brit fare any way, always was IMHO, meat pies & Sunday Roast.  Another was excellent for Sunday roast but closed long ago.

Harry's was another long running western fare, good beef stew, out on the ring road.

Along with TJ's Steaks, for Yank fare, closed now, I think.  Was the longest western fare restaurant in UT, I think.   Good burgers, Chili, & meatloaf.

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The long running 'Sports Bar' is still on soi samphan, I think.  Not a sports fan, so really haven't a clue.

T Bar will play any sports, and that's Steve & Mali's restaurant / bar, or was, last time there.  Thinking about it, not sure Steve is still with us, as my age, and had a few health issues last time we chit chatted.

We got to Udon Thani about the same time, and always had a successful restaurant / bar operation or 2 going.  First one, Steve's and was long running, till sold to another guy (named Steve, 2 many Steve s), who sadly off'd himself.

Steve & Mali's places were the best for Brit fare any way, always was IMHO, meat pies & Sunday Roast.  Another was excellent for Sunday roast but closed long ago.

Harry's was another long running western fare, good beef stew, out on the ring road.

Along with TJ's Steaks, for Yank fare, closed now, I think.  Was the longest western fare restaurant in UT, I think.   Good burgers, Chili, & meatloaf.

T Bar looks to be there. Sports bar next door on map. Will check it out.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, bignok said:

T Bar looks to be there. Sports bar next door on map. Will check it out.

If you go to T Bar ... tell Steve, hopefully still kickin', he'll be behind the bar, that "LA says Hi"

LA as in 2 letter, not la la la ????

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If you go to T Bar ... tell Steve, hopefully still kickin', he'll be behind the bar, that "LA says Hi"

LA as in 2 letter, not la la la ????

I tell him my name is Steve from LA. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bignok said:

I tell him my name is Steve from LA. 

I think the owner of the 'Sports Bar' is named Steve also.  What is that, most popular name of the '50s' ????

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

you didn't mind going into Day n Night though Udon La and having a beer with the HOOKERS in there I saw you many times in there.

1 hour ago, BarraMarra said:

you didn't mind going into Day n Night though Udon La and having a beer with the HOOKERS in there I saw you many times in there.

Many times, I think not, and I can count on my hands how many times I was in there.   Certainly wouldn't take my daughter in there.

Use to hit Irish Clock when Steve & Mali managed it, and Nobi's, but they were afternoon munches, not night time, as I avoided the soi at night.   You'd find me over at Preecha Market if there at night or if at real restaurant, at the BookHouse, over by Nong Sim Lake, another no longer there.

I avoided UT at weekends & night time and always tried to be gone before 1530 hrs / rush hour.

And never bothered with the hookers, as not a P4P kind of guy.   Only twice on Phuket, first 2 visits to TH, and only hooker experiences, ever.

Never in USA ... never needed there, and simply tested at Phuket, and never needed or wanted afterward.  Not seeing the attraction to P4P.  No challenge or real sexual excitement paying for it.   That's about some boring A$$ sex.

YMMV

Edited by KhunLA